Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North Pacific » New Oregon Race Track

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: New Oregon Race Track
Brian Towey Verified Driver
Not a Suspect

Region: Oregon
Car #: 26,1,11,2,67,87
Icon 14 posted  Profile for Brian Towey   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jonny and I went out to Grass Valley today to look at the course layout for the new race track – it is absolutely freakin’ cool and it looks to be for real. Oregon Raceway Park

My personal preference is that they eliminate some of the proposed turns to make it racier, but in any case it will be super fun to drive. The terrain features are awesome, and there are places on this course that will be old school kind of scary – the motorcycle guys are already asking for extra room in a few places to park trucks to pick up the broken bikes and land medivac choppers.

Best part is that it is just as close as PIR for us, and plenty close enough for even the most prolific complainers in the group to make the trip – so don’t even bother with the whining. We don’t snivel about coming to Seattle.

The course is staked out, they are clearing debris and we are told that the big equipment fires up soon. Word on the street is that there are two events already scheduled for late next season.

40 Spec Miatas at this place would be as much fun as you could ever have.

BT

--------------------
Brian Towey
Oregon Region #26
http://meettheroad.wordpress.com/

Subdued Verified Driver
NCW

Region: NWR/OR
Car #: Was #11
Year : Was a '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Subdued     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow, is that a Miller Motorsports Park style setup? I imagine that layout could be quite interesting with some elevation changes. Why does my home track have to be Bremerton? [banghead]

--------------------
Ed

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's really great this is coming together, especially with the local political clouds looming over PIR.

According to at the world climate Website, Grass Valley gets about 1/3 the rainfall of PIR or PR!

Is Oregon Region behind getting some races scheduled out there? Seems like a great way to hold some Sept/Oct races next year while PIR is getting repaved.

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Todd Butler

Car #: SRF 73
Year : Chassis 308
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Butler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bruce,

We've told the PMMI guys that we'd be very interested in running there. The one "gotcha" is the track has to be certified (sanctioned) so it's insurable by SCCA for us to run there. They need to start that process early. We've given them contact info for the Reno/Fernley track that is going thru the SCCA sanction process now.

So definitely if it's real, we'll race there assuming it's insurable for us.

Todd Butler
OR RRD.

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any word as to if ICSCC has plans of running there in the future?

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks Todd,

It's good to hear the region is working with the PMMI guys. Thanks for all the hard work Todd... We appreciate it! See ya at the BBQ.

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good deal Todd, I think this is the right answer. I would support Oregon Region continuing to look for their own track site, but since ORP is so far along it might be a better idea to cooperate with PMMI for development of ORP.

Kyle, the core group of folks doing the PMMI project are Conference people, so I think ICSCC will be the primary user of the facility.

If anybody finds out about racing scheduled there for next August/September/October, post the info! I really need to work this into our 2007 plan. [yep]

Brian, did you guys take any pictures?

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Jeff Clark Verified Driver

Car #: 07, 74
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Clark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was down looking at the track layout Saturday morning.

Team Continental has asked for two dates this year at Grass Valley.

Sept 22-23 and Oct 6-7. None of the dates are finalized with the Conference schedule yet.

At the "spring meeting" all the 2007 proposed dates will be finalized. I believe the meeting is in January.

[ 11-20-2006, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Clark ]

John Wymore

Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Wymore     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow .... after 25 years of seeing proposed new track projects in Oregon and Washington die on the vine it looks like this venture may finally come to be a reality. Great News!!

Not a Suspect

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Towey   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pat,

We didn’t take any pictures, but they have some on their website.

It’s what we folk out here in the sticks call a “wheat field”. It’s the kind of wheat field that hillbillies on four wheelers and dirt bikes hurt themselves in. The terrain moves around a lot – it will be mostly, but not completely, unlike PIR.

It’s a gorgeous location with great views.

BT

--------------------
Brian Towey
Oregon Region #26

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great views of what -- other wheat fields? Nothing especially wrong with that, just curious. The web site shows a gorgeous view of Mt. Hood, but without the telephoto lens you realize it's about 30 miles away.

Here's an aerial view...

jim (yes, would race in much less picturesque spots!)

PS: Where's the nearest lodging? Doesn't look like Grass Valley will be a hotbed of night life.

--------------------
Just a clown

John Wymore

Icon 19 posted  Profile for John Wymore     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Towey:
The terrain moves around a lot

Did you eat some mushrooms out of this here field by any chance??

Not a Suspect

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Towey   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jim Boemler:
PS: Where's the nearest lodging? Doesn't look like Grass Valley will be a hotbed of night life.

It's already started... Jim, it's out in the midde of friggin nowhere. The nearest lodging is at Peter's house, followed by my house and then Jonny's. But, I hear somebody's opening a night club in Wasco - you'll like the women there...

I think there is a 10 room motel (circa 1950) in Moro and two truck stop style motels in Biggs. The Dalles has got plenty of civilized accomodations and a regional jail for when another one of your binges gets out of control.

Wymore, mushrooms need moisture more often than happens out there - you old hippies are all the same... you'll have to bring your own stuff.

BT

--------------------
Brian Towey
Oregon Region #26

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Somehow I missed Playboy's "Women of Wasco" issue. Sounds like I need a bigger trailer, to carry camping gear. [Frown]

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

TC Motorsports Verified Driver
www.tcmotorsports.net

Icon 1 posted  Profile for TC Motorsports   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We have had the same discussion about the lack of hotels around this place on another board. In our travels this year, we discovered that most tracks across this country are in the middle of nowhere. Road America is a 40 minute drive to the nearest town. Miller is 30-35 minutes, and there are many more like that.

We have gotten very spoiled by the fact we have so many great tracks around us and there is a hotel right across the street.

I have been to over 30 different tracks across NA and many of them are in the middle of no where, everything from major NASCAR circuits to Private Motorsports Clubs.

I'm looking forward to the new track!

--------------------
Carlo Sparacio
TC Motorsports, LLC
www.tcmotorsports.net

Enduro addict

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Towey:
It's already started...

You mean, "Jim's random bitching and negativity about every idea that anybody comes up with?" Yeah, it sure has.

I'm looking forward to the new track too, hotel or no hotel.

--------------------

Not a Suspect

[/qb][/QUOTE]You mean, "Jim's random bitching and negativity about every idea that anybody comes up with?" Yeah, it sure has.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Pat, I don't think random means what you think it means...

--------------------
Brian Towey
Oregon Region #26

Veteran Member

Pat, I'm just asking a very relevant question; the fact that the answer is no doesn't make the question negative. At least Brian had a sense of humor.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Carl Hatfield Verified Driver

Region: NWR, Oregon, ICSCC
Car #: 75
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Carl Hatfield   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim, do you think you can build a tent trailer that is small enough to tow with the Miata? That would be so cool, and what a conversation starter!

The fact that the track will be in the middle of nowhere is really an advantage - no more neighbors bitching randomly about the noise. The big disadvantage is that any kind of services are far away. BTW, I've driven through that area before, and I think it is pretty country.

This will create the opportunity for Jim to find out if he can smoke a Moro burrow.

Veteran Member

Is smoking a Moro burrow anything like eating one of Brian's mythical mushrooms? Or do I need spurs and a big hat to pose as "Moro Burrow Man"?

I do carry a tent (canopy) anyway, and I do have sides for it. Anybody know if the area is typically windy? I kinda like the tent trailer idea, though. I'm hoping to build a new trailer over the winter, so now's the time to think about camping as a possibility.

BTW, one of the nice things I always liked about PIR is that you just never find unwanted "creatures" in the paddock. I hope this new track is as good about spraying, or whatever they need to do to keep pests away from the camping areas.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Not a Suspect

Jim,

I’m afraid that if you don’t stop complaining people will stop simply not taking you seriously and just ignore you all together…

It’s way too early to organize the boycott – they still have a track to build which is a huge task. If they manage to work that out I think it would be reasonable for us to figure out where we should sleep.

Regarding creatures; I’m pretty sure that there are both scorpions and rattlesnakes – is that what you mean by creatures? Oh, and ticks too.

Regarding wind; no, it’s not windy near the gorge – just in it… Do you need a clinic on how wind works?

Jim, there is nothing about this worth complaining about. If they get it done and it’s too burdensome for you to make the trip, we’ll carry on without you.

BT

--------------------
Brian Towey
Oregon Region #26

Veteran Member

Like hell you will. [Big Grin] [Razz]

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim,

I'll be bringing a 340 sqft studio apartment with me to each race, and I can guarantee we won't be sleeping in it.

You can call dibbs if you point me to the closest Marriot.

Greg

Veteran Member

Dibbs. The closest Marriott to this track is the same one that's closest to PIR.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Fenn Bourland Verified Driver

Car #: u/a
Year : u/a
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Fenn Bourland     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cool!
Where's the starting line, the short cut for turn 6, and the track record?

fB

Subdued Verified Driver
NCW

Region: NWR/OR
Car #: Was #11
Year : Was a '99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Subdued     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by G Bush:
I'll be bringing a 340 sqft studio apartment with me to each race,

Cool, me too. [thumbsup]

Now, to sublet some space to pay for all that fuel... [Razz]

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was just told that one of the tracks main supporters(funding wise) has backed out. Is that true or no?

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

vanarkel Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for vanarkel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The wife and I have been looking for a nice spot to build a vacation home. I think we may have found it. Now it's just a matter of convincing her that, instead of a view of the ocean, what we really want is a view of ... wheat.

jh

Andy Robottom Verified Driver

Region: NW
Car #: 113
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Andy Robottom     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://upload4.postimage.org/1706829/photo_hosting.html

The above is a link to an updated track map, thought you chaps might be interested.

Andy

--------------------
....drive your own line

Enduro addict

ORP "first test day" writeup from the Conference board:

quote:
Hello All,

This is the best new track in the USA bar none!!!

If you like big rollercoaster rides this is the track for you.
There are ups and downs and blind corners depending on wich way you are going.
Those are very expensive race cars that missed that corner.
Cars can be fixed no one got hurt!!!

We arrived at the front gate at 8:15 am to sign in; it was 24 degrees on the pickup outside temp, clear sky, crisp morning.

9:00am track tour stopping at a few places for Bill Murray to explain the course.

10:00am first cars on track
I did the north circle in the morning session.
It is up and down and around throught the half pipe on one end, then back up around and down again.
This section is not unlike a rollercoaster with blind corners.
You go up over a rise on the track, and you need to remember which way the track turns just over the rise.
Very technical section!!!

12:00 Lunch, Pizza and drinks furnished, sure was good.

1:00pm Out on the south circle.
Now this part is for the V8 HP cars.
It is a combination of 4 somewhat straight sections, with some blind and off camber corners, depending on which way you are going.
Heavy braking at speed.

3:00pm all cars on full course track clockwise.
4:00pm all cars on full course track counter clockwise

Now we are talking. VERY WELL DONE!!!!
The two sections really complement each other.

Over all this is a fantastic new track.
It is going to take time to really find the fastest way around the track.

A big THANK YOU! To all for putting on this Instructors Day at ORP.

John Rissberger
# 10 Camaro A/S

Sounds awesome.

--------------------

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What's the URL for the original post? Does "Those are very expensive race cars that missed that corner. Cars can be fixed no one got hurt!!!" mean that they bent cars during their reconnaissance trip?

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Carl Hatfield Verified Driver

Region: NWR, Oregon, ICSCC
Car #: 75
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Carl Hatfield   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://www.icscc.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-auth...7580878&file=/2/1579.html

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Car #: 00
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds like a fun track. Can't wait to get a test day there. And it's the closest track to me.

Tom

Enduro addict

In-car vids now up:

Counterclockwise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5E-T7lITuI

Clockwise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de6EeYJiCe4

AWESOME!!!! [Big Grin] I can't wait.

--------------------

Gold Member

Great, Tom has a home track now. Boy's going to be up in our face about trying to beat him in his house [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Enduro addict

More videos, from a Pro3 BMW this time. Holy crap, this track is going to rule.

CW:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm83o0tXMUk

CCW:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPesc_fz57M

--------------------

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Car #: 00
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Wilson:
Great, Tom has a home track now. Boy's going to be up in our face about trying to beat him in his house [Smile]

-bw

Yep. gonna buy a condo at the track:) Then I will be able to call it my house.

I tried to get a track built in Redmond in the late '90s. Nobody would have anything to do with it. ORP may not be in my backyard, but only 2 hours away, its a dream come true. Hope they instlled a cell tower, then I can set up office and work out of there.

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow, maybe I should move west!!! Counterclockwise looks like lots of fun!!!

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Gold Member

I'm still trying to find the 3/4 mile straight. I thought that was mandatory on all NW tracks [Smile] I'll bet you get the stomach sillies on a few of those woop-dees.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Enduro addict

This was posted on the Conference board gents. Get yer track time while it's hot!

STAR PROJECTS
P.O.BOX 38
GRASS VALLEY, OREGON 97029
503-358-2617

IT’S CHRISTMAS, AND YOU HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR THE ULTIMATE GIFT FOR “THE RACER” IN YOUR LIFE, AND THE LAMBORGHINI YOU WERE GOING TO BUY HAS JUST SOLD OUT. WELL HERE IS A CHANCE TO GIVE A TRULY UNIQUE GIFT AND SPEND A LITTLE LESS MONEY: GIVE A GIFT CERTIFICATE TO A STAR PROJECTS EVENT AT OREGON RACEWAY PARK, THE NEWEST (AND JUST MAYBE THE BEST) RACE TRACK IN THE NATION. YOU MIGHT LIKE TO STUFF YOUR OWN STOCKING WITH THIS ONE!

ANNOUNCING ANOTHER SPECIAL EVENT: STAR PROJECTS #3, WILL BE HELD SUNDAY, MARCH 1ST 2009. THE SCHEDULE WILL FOLLOW THE SAME “DISCOVER O.R.P.” TRIPLE CIRCUIT – BIDIRECTIONAL, FORMAT USED IN STAR EVENT # 2. A LIMITED NUMBER OF CARS WILL BE ASSIGNED TO EACH OF THE FOUR RUN GROUPS SO PLEASE FILL OUT YOUR APPLICATION AND MAIL YOUR CHECK EARLY.

THIS NOT A RACE BUT RATHER A UNIQUE HIGH PERFORMANCE DRIVING EXPERIENCE FOR SENIOR LEVEL DRIVERS. TO FULFILL OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO TRAIN OTHERS, THIS EVENT WILL HAVE AT LEAST ONE SCHOOL GROUP, WITH QUALIFIED INSTRUCTORS ASSIGNED TO EACH STUDENT.

A GIFT CERTIFICATE IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE. IF YOUR CHECK IS RECEIVED BY DECEMBER 17TH THE POST OFFICE ASSURES ME IT WILL ARRIVE IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS.

THE ENTRY FEE IS $205.00 FOR PARTICIPANTS WHO NOW HOLD, OR HAVE HELD A SENIOR LEVEL I.C.S.C.C. / S.C.C.A / P.C.A. / N.A.S.A. LICENSE. THE FEE FOR THE NOVICE GROUP IS $305.00.

A FULL RACE PREPARED CAR IS NOT REQUIRED, A DRIVING SUIT AND HELMET IS. CARS WITH A REMOVABLE TOP WILL HAVE AN ADEQUATE ROLL BAR. A FULL LIST OF REQUIREMENTS WILL BE SENT WITH THE APPLICATION / ENTRY FORM.

ALTHOUGH ANY MOTORSPORT HAS SOME RISK, THIS GIFT CERTIFICATE HAS NONE. YOU MAY CANCEL A GIFT CERTIFICATE FOR A FULL REFUND ANY TIME UP TO ONE YEAR FROM DATE OF ISSUE. ONCE AN APPLICATION IS APPROVED AND A GROUP ASSIGNED YOU MAY CANCEL AND RECEIVE A FULL REFUND UP TO 7 DAYS PRIOR TO THE EVENT. IF UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES NECESSITATE EVENT CANCELATION, A PRICE INCREASE, OR RESCHEDULING, A FULL REFUND WILL BE IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE.

NOVICE GROUP ELIGIBILITY IS CURRENTLY LIMITED TO THOSE WHO HAVE ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING:
· A MINIMUM OF THREE VERIFIABLE DRIVING SCHOOLS WITHIN THE LAST THREE YEARS.
· A TEAM CONTINENTAL OR CASCADE SCHOOL “APPROVED FOR NOVICE LICENSE” CERTIFICATION WITHIN THE LAST TWO YEARS.
· HOLD A CURRENT I.C.S.C.C. NOVICE LICENSE OR ACCEPTABLE EQUIVALENT.
· PRESENT A WRITTEN RECOMMENDATION FROM A STAR INSTRUCTOR LISTING SPECIFIC QUALIFYING EXPERIENCE EQUAL TO ABOVE.

STAR PROJECTS PLANS TO ANNOUNCE A BEGINNER LEVEL PROGRAM LATER THIS YEAR. FOR THE PRESENT, A NOVICE APPLICANT MUST HAVE ACQUIRED HIGH PERFORMANCE VEHICLE OPERATING TECHNIQUES AT ANOTHER SCHOOL. WE WILL BE HAPPY TO RECOMMEND A SOURCE FOR THAT TRAINING IF YOU LACK THE MINIMUM CREDENTIALS.

ALL PERSONS ENTERING O.R.P. ARE REQUIRED TO SIGN A RELEASE. STAR PROJECTS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO ACCEPT OR DENY APPLICATION FOR ANY ITS EVENTS, AND MAY DISQUALIFY AND REMOVE WITHOUT REFUND, ANY PARTICIPANT WHO IN THE SOLE DISCRETION OF THE EVENT COORDINATOR, IS CONSIDERED TO DISPLAY POOR JUDGMENT, POOR SPORTSMANSHIP OR POSE A SAFETY THREAT TO THEMSELVES OR OTHERS. PLEASE BE ADVISED, FALSIFYING QUALIFICATION INFORMATION ON AN APPLICATION IS DEEMED TO BE POOR JUDGMENT. O.R.P. IS A VERY TECHNICALLY DEMANDING TRACK. PROVIDING A SAFE AND A FUN EXPERIENCE IS ALWAYS OUR TOP PRIORITY.

TO RECEIVE AN APPLICATION / ENTRY FORM AND EVENT SCHEDULE PLEASE CONTACT:

BILL MURRAY
EVENT COORDINATOR,
STAR PROJECTS
mastermechanic05@comcast.net
503-358-2617

--------------------

Brian Benthin Verified Driver
Professional ballast

Region: Northwest
Car #: ICSCC #322
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Benthin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Aerial photos:
http://albums.phanfare.com/6614175/3111200#imageID=55089551

--------------------
Brian

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: