Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » 1.6 to 1.8 upgrade Poll (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: 1.6 to 1.8 upgrade Poll
B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wrong poll Ken [Smash] [rolling on floor laughin] [Smash]

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can see that Ken, but speaking with emotion I'd be getting another car.

Sure, I'm not a top driver but my ladder system is trying to learn to drive better so I can reach for another rung and try to race with faster folks. With almost all cars in our region being a 1.6 and me with a '95, I don't want to be relegated to driving just ITA or one of the "I showed up so I got a podium" classes.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Car #: 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Wrong poll Ken

I know, but it's not too late for you to fix it! [Razz]

Keith, I'll help you swap to a 1.6 [Wink]

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If I switch to a 1.6, what the heck am I supposed to do with my 4 spare water pumps? [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

sway bars, brakes?

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Old 1.6L engine? ECU? Intake(s)? A/F meters?

Michael53

Region: NEOKLA
Car #: 53
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Michael53     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

DB Yes! You have to! ...and you have to machine an adapter to mount the 1.6 throttle body (or drill out the 1.6 throttle body to fit the 1.8 intake). And all the 1.8 EGR stuff stays disconnected, and you have to build/modify a custom crossover tube because of the differences in cooling plumbing, and you need the 1.6 coil packs and a custom mount, need the 1.6 temp sensor,a 1.8 throttle cable and motor mounts, and you have to lengthen the wire on a 1.6 single wire o2 sensor, and you have some creative cooling plumbing to do. ....or you need a 1.8 donor car; to remove all behind the dash wiring, underhood wiring, ecu, and all underhood accessories like EGR system components. I have done this swap and it is UGLY! The 5.0 V8 swap is no more work! .....hmmmmm Now there's a proposal that would make the class fun! (..and is just as impractical) [Smile]

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Michael that's not what is being proposed. no mixing parts -- harness, engine, entire intake and ecu. I just did a complete 1.6 to 1.6 swap and a friend just did a harness to remove what appeared to be cheated up ECU wiring from the pro cup days. This stuff is not really hard for the average joe backyard mechanic (watch me cringe when someone mentions the word fabricate) to do.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Michael53

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Michael53     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

-bw That's kinda my point. The two powertrain systems are so completely different that you have to completely strip a 1.8 chassis to have everything you need for a clean (no mixing) swap. You can't even buy all the parts you need; you must have a wrecked/donor 1.8. I wish someone else who's done one would pipe up and confirm just how involved that kinda swap really is. I can't see any reason to ever do another one. 'just build a 1.8.

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The swap takes about 20 hours max for anyone who knows the cars reasonably well.Yes, I do have the benefit of owning a salvage yard and parts at my disposal. I have done a few in each direction. IMO, If someone wanted to change to a 1.8, this would be considerably less expensive and time consuming than starting from a donor 1.8. This is not to say I feel it is necessary etc to compete etc.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
The swap takes about 20 hours max for anyone who knows the cars reasonably well.Yes, I do have the benefit of owning a salvage yard and parts at my disposal. I have done a few in each direction. IMO, If someone wanted to change to a 1.8, this would be considerably less expensive and time consuming than starting from a donor 1.8. This is not to say I feel it is necessary etc to compete etc.

I already have the big diff! Halfway there.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Michael53

I had nice phone chat with Jim this morning to compare notes. His procedure was definitely better than mine and would save significant labor hours.

We both agreed you MUST remove the dash from the cars. If you have a cage that doesn't allow dash removal get ready for some cutting and welding!

We also both thought the only practical way to do the conversion is to have a 1.8 donor parked next to the stripped 1.6 chassis. So each part can be removed from the 1.8 and intermediately bolted in the 1.6 chassis as it's removed. This is the key to doing the swap correctly and efficiently.

We also thought if we can get this swap approved we should get someone to document the procedure for those of you who haven't done it!

My key point is I don't want anyone thinking they can just order a 1.8 crate/pro motor and make a quick trip to their local savage yard for a box full of odds and ends. But done correctly this is a good and viable swap for our class. IMHO

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: