Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA North-East » Limerock National/Pro-IT/Restricted Regional.....qually and results?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Limerock National/Pro-IT/Restricted Regional.....qually and results?
Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know there is wireless in the paddock......any news?

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Kessler Engineering

Region: NER
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kessler Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

National:
Steve Gorriaran
Nick Leverone
Ken Payson

Race ended under red, due to bad accident involving Payson and a T2 Lotus. I will leave details to someone who saw more. Payson was standing but went to hospital for observation.

Regional SM
Elivan Goulart
David Lendrum
Robert Karl, Jr.

SSM
Ian Prout
Darrell LaPoint
Mr. Peter Smith

Pro-IT
Don Duman
Nick Leverone
Apology, I have brain fade on third and didn't wait for results....

--------------------
Matt Kessler
Kessler Engineering
http://www.kesslerengineering.com/

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to the top 3 in the National. Ken's tough and a damn fine racer, glad he's okay.

Congrats to Ian also in SSM.

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

Adam Figarsky

Region: mo-hud
Car #: 32
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adam Figarsky   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

what kind of lap times was everyone doing...
was pretty hot fri and sat.
----
any news on payson incident.
----glad he is ok

--------------------
TeamFigMented

2009 NARRC and NYSRRC SSM Champion
2009 SSM NESCCA Enduro Series Champion

Kessler Engineering

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kessler Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

3rd place Pro-IT was Bob Karl Jr.

--------------------
Matt Kessler
Kessler Engineering
http://www.kesslerengineering.com/

Monkeywrench

Region: SJR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Monkeywrench     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They're talking about the accident over here..
http://sccaforums.com/forums/1/372172/ShowThread.aspx#372172

Wishes for a speedy recovery from what looks like a very hard hit.

--------------------
-Bob Adams

motorrock

Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OOO..just read....I really hope Ken's okay.....sheeesh !!

Our prayers are with him !!!

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

CP Verified Driver

Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Best wishes to Ken Payson.

[ 08-03-2009, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: CP ]

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: New England
Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ken,

My thoughts are with you today. Get well soon and we'll see you at the track.

-Kyle

JackH Verified Driver

Region: Mohawk Hudson
Car #: 55
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JackH     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ken is in the Hospital in Springfield Mass.

He has a cracked C-2 Vertebrae. Word is he is in pain but will be OK.

Jack H

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

HANS or no HANS? Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery!

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Mike L. Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ

Region: MoHud
Car #: 27
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike L.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ken was wearing an H&N device.

--------------------
Mike Lo
1990 SM 27

Terry Hanushek

Region: South Jersey
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Terry Hanushek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jack

Thanks for the update

Our thought are with Ken for a speedy and complete recovery

Terry

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike L.:
Ken was wearing an H&N device.

Ohmy... which one?

--------------------

Adam Figarsky

Region: mo-hud
Car #: 32
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adam Figarsky   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Get well soon Ken!

--------------------
TeamFigMented

2009 NARRC and NYSRRC SSM Champion
2009 SSM NESCCA Enduro Series Champion

Don D Verified Driver

Car #: 52
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Don D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ken is a class act and I hope he gets back soon. I hope someone looks at his gear and determines if something went wrong. I would like to know what head and neck device he was using. That was a big hit. I don't know if a HANs would have protected him better, but it seems that he sustained exactly the type of injury a H + N device is supposed to prevent.

Get well soon.

-Don

--------------------
Southern Auto Auction
Eastern Powersports Auction
Kessler Engineering
http://www.kesslerengineering.com/Site/Home.html

Wreckerboy Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: SSM 53 "Lola"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Wreckerboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had the good fortune to crew for Ken a few years back while I was researching cage builders (he offered to put me on his crew list for a Lime Rock regional so I could get in and ask questions). At the time Ken was using a HANS, but I have no idea if that is what he currently uses.

--------------------
Rob Myles
Hero To The Momentum Impaired

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike L.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Not sure which H&N device but we can find all that out later.

The great news I just got is that it looks like no surgery is needed. He should be home in a few days but will need to recuperate for a few months. He's in the Baystate Medical Center (413-794-0000) in Springfield, MA if you want to send any get well wishes.

--------------------
Mike Lo
1990 SM 27

CP Verified Driver

Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

From the photos taken right after the incident, it looks like some part of his body made contact with the steering wheel to bend it like that. Take a look at the wheel while it's still in the car.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Future Never Has Been

Yeah... I saw that photo of the bent wheel. It was what prompted me to ask about the HANS

--------------------

bcmazda Verified Driver

Region: North East
Car #: 08,63,67
Year : 2008,1999,1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for bcmazda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ken we are very relieved to hear you are doing fine and wish you a speedy recovery. Looking forward to racing against you soon. Not looking forward to seeing your bumper as most of us do!!

Hugh, Craig and Ryan McHaffie

--------------------
Ryan, Craig and Hugh McHaffie
NER #08, #63,#67

racinglawyer Verified Driver
Old Member

Region: NEPA
Car #: 0
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for racinglawyer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great to hear Ken is doing well..a C-2 brake usually means disaster so if he only cracked it so much the better. Get well Ken and for all the rest of us a little prayer won't hurt.

--------------------
BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN
Love "the commander" Mike Cefalo

motorrock

Excellent news...get well Ken !!

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

disquek Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Car #: 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for disquek     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just called Ken and he's in great spirits. He may get released today or tomorrow.

He tells me that there is an excellent chance that the break will heal on its own with no need for surgery.

He asked me to pass on that the corner workers and emergency crews did everything correctly and per his instruction. That he was articulate and aware when they arrived and he instructed them that that he was okay to slowly remove his own helmet and take his time exiting the car under his own power. When he got out of the car they immediately recognized his state and put him on a back board and got him to the hospital.

Backboarding Ken in the car would have required them to cut out the top of the cage, hardtop, etc and would have created other delays and risks.

I looks like another great job by all of the workers. Thanks to them, we get to indulge in this crazy sport! Bravo!

-Kyle

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That is good news Kyle, thanks.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Bill Whitney Verified Driver

Car #: 54 & 84
Year : 1992 & 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bill Whitney   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
Yeah... I saw that photo of the bent wheel. It was what prompted me to ask about the HANS

Ken is indeed a class act and fun to be with at the track. I too hope to see him back in a car soon, but not too soon!

Regarding the bent wheel.. I wear a HANS and have hit a jersey barrier head-on exiting turn 6 at NHIS a few years back. I bent my wheel just like the picture of Kens. There is enough stretch in the belts along with tensing up your arms prior to impact that you can bent it almost around the steering column. Your head/helmet does not need to touch it.

--------------------
Bill Whitney
NER SSM #54

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Whitney:
There is enough stretch in the belts along with tensing up your arms prior to impact that you can bent it almost around the steering column. Your head/helmet does not need to touch it.

That's scary!

Get well soon Ken!!!

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

For those who haven't see it here's a link to my video which shows Ken's crash into the Lotus. I spoke to him about it and he's happy to share it with everyone to show how critical good safety equipment is in this sport!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlHfGGgTVsc

If this doesn't make you go out and get an H&N device, I don't know what will!

--------------------
Mike Lo
1990 SM 27

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Krikey! That's it.. Ken's license to fly is revoked.

[ 08-04-2009, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Lance Snyder ]

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

John@P1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Metro NY
Car #: 09
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John@P1   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Did we determine which one (H&N device) Ken was wearing?

John

--------------------
John C. Kuitwaard
Team Principal/Driver
www.P1-MotorSports.com
www.Owater.com
www.AlexsLemonade.org

JackH Verified Driver

Region: Mohawk Hudson
Car #: 55
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JackH     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John Sheridan and I visited Ken in the hospital this morning. We gave him his trophy for the race. As Kyle said above he is in good spirits (I feel sorry for the nurses) and wanted to thak all the workers who assisted him. He was planning to leave today around noon but he felt nauseous and may stay another day. It appears he will wear the brace for six weeks and if all heals, he will not need surgery. He was concerned about the back board that was with him from the track, to Sharon-on the helicopter to Springfield. We retrieved it from the ER and his brother will return it to Lime Rock.

T.J. Kearney Verified Driver
Male Member

Region: Finger Lakes
Car #: 85
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for T.J. Kearney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike L.:
For those who haven't see it here's a link to my video

Ugh!!! Watching it already knowing the outcome was still shocking....ouch!

Charlie Campbell introduced me to Ken while in registration at the July Sprints a couple weeks ago. I knew of him but had never met him until that point. Very nice guy, and humble.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

--------------------
Tom Kearney
SSM #85
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Future Never Has Been

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Whitney:
quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:

Ken is indeed a class act and fun to be with at the track. I too hope to see him back in a car soon, but not too soon!

Regarding the bent wheel.. I wear a HANS and have hit a jersey barrier head-on exiting turn 6 at NHIS a few years back. I bent my wheel just like the picture of Kens. There is enough stretch in the belts along with tensing up your arms prior to impact that you can bent it almost around the steering column. Your head/helmet does not need to touch it.

That's one reason I won't use nylon belts.

--------------------

BK Verified Driver

Car #: 20
Icon 1 posted  Profile for BK     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ken

Glad to hear that you are OK - I hope your healing process is as fast as you drive that Miata. Get well soon

Bob Karl

--------------------
BK Motorsports #20

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Best wishes Kenny. Take care, get well soon, we'll all be missing you. You've always been a class act.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Elivan Verified Driver

Car #: 70
Year : 2006
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Elivan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ken,

Good to hear that you'll be making a speedy recovery. Wish you the best of luck and hope to have some more good racing with you again in the future.

--------------------
http://www.ElivanGoulart.com

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Get well soon!

--------------------
Paul McLester

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: