Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Hubs Mazda VS Blueprinted (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Hubs Mazda VS Blueprinted
Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
Do you say:

I need to Hoover the carpet?
or
I need to vacuum the carpet?

It depends on what country you are from? [Wink]
[yep] You blow your nose with a Kleenex and put the food in the Frigidaire and Hoover the carpets in some countries.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

99 all the way!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by guest driver:
quote:
Originally posted by Weekend Warrior:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Lamb:
quote:
Originally posted by Weekend Warrior:
Get out the measuring stick....

I think they're going to use the water displacement test....
Cold water? [Eek!]
no, cc'ing their heads
[duck]

[rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------

taylorf Verified Driver

Region: Houston
Car #: 51
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for taylorf     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Do you say:

or

Have you ever used a vacum? [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
Taylor Ferranti

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Bottoms:
quote:
quote:
Do you say:

or

[yep] You blow your nose with a Kleenex and put the food in the Frigidaire and Hoover the carpets in some countries.
in this part of the south ( admittedly bassackwards) They ask what type of Coke... Not meaning diet,zero or caffeine free either.. Meaning like Sprite,rootbeer etc, all Cokes! Even Von C's drink of choice, Mountain Dew is a Coke here! [nope]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Bottoms:
quote:
quote:
Do you say:

or

in this part of the south ( admittedly bassackwards) They ask what type of Coke... Not meaning diet,zero or caffeine free either.. Meaning like Sprite,rotbeer etc, all Cokes! Even Von c's drink of choice, Mountain Dew is a Coke here! [nope]
That's even prevalent in Texas too.
"What'll you have to drink?"
"I'll have a coke."
"A Pepsi it is. And you?"

And for those uninitiated folks, you "Xerox a set of copies" too.

Though I have heard of people "hoagie" the carpet before I'm not sure its origin.

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Everyone know a hoagie is a sandwich.

Zauskycop Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zauskycop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Drink from the bubbler?

--------------------
Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
quote:
Do you say:

or

just spoke with von C, he said in some countries, you better take a weed wacker to that shag carpet before you get near it with your 'Hoover'.
Much prefers Scandinavian countries where 'smooth' is the standard finish, any size/strength 'Hoover' works jus fine.
[burst]

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have been known to hoover a hoagie, especially after a doobie.

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Tucker:
All I know is the this years runoffs winner had none of the above!

How would anyone know?

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Karl,

As I said when they fired us from the Adhoc, call me anything but "regional only". [fight]

Ara calls me FIG, works for me. Drago is to new to have a nickname but I like to call him OCW. [duck]

Locally we call him Big Swerve. [scratchchin]

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

99 all the way!

quote:
Originally posted by JIM DANIELS:
Karl,

As I said when they fired us from the Adhoc, call me anything but "regional only". [fight]

Ara calls me FIG, works for me. Drago is to new to have a nickname but I like to call him OCW. [duck]

Locally we call him Big Swerve. [scratchchin]

Draaahgo is growing on me. I pronounce it like that now.

--------------------

99 all the way!

quote:
Originally posted by Zauskycop:
Drink from the bubbler?

Me in Eau Claire, WI: "do you know where I can find an ATM?

Local: "huh?"
Me: "I need some cash"
Local: "Oh! A Tyme Machine!"
Me thinking (not realizing it's spelled with a "y" at the time): "Wow! WTF? A Time Machine really?"

--------------------

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by guest driver:
quote:
quote:
Do you say:

or

just spoke with von C, he said in some countries, you better take a weed wacker to that shag carpet before you get near it with your 'Hoover'.
Much prefers Scandinavian countries where 'smooth' is the standard finish, any size/strength 'Hoover' works jus fine.
[burst]

The Brazilians got it right by going with hardwood floors and a throw mat for decor.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dang! I remember rebuilding mine and they didn't spin like that at all. Going to recheck the nut torque for one thing, but there's definitely some voodoo there.

Does this mean that once a person invests in blueprinted hubs, when he rebuilds them, they'll spin that freely too?

Or will each rebuild require blueprinting?

Back in my Spec RX7 days, I was taught to torque the nut down and back it off, then retighten to finger tight. Can't remember what I did on my SM when I rebuilt them, though I think I torqued them according to the book.

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
http://www.sphinxracing.com
http://www.layersdesserts.com
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Sphinx:

Does this mean that once a person invests in blueprinted hubs, when he rebuilds them, they'll spin that freely too?

No. But after you REM them, maybe.

quote:

Back in my Spec RX7 days, I was taught to torque the nut down and back it off, then retighten to finger tight. Can't remember what I did on my SM when I rebuilt them, though I think I torqued them according to the book.

Define "finger tight". If its what I'm thinking of (literally tightening with fingers only) that sounds insanely dangerous. Were the RX7 hubs a press fit or did they just slide on like the Miata?

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

John Mueller Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Okay, not the slowest anymore...

Region: SoCal
Car #: 13
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John Mueller   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Back in my Spec RX7 days, I was taught to torque the nut down and back it off, then retighten to finger tight.

Finger tight then a cotter pin right???

--------------------
Thanks,
John Mueller
NASA SM National Director
http://www.Weekend-Racer.com
#13 "Tiger Miata" - 2009 SoCal SSM Champion

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I polish the nails and run with graphite... Oh wait, that's my pinewood car.

Actually, anyone who is looking for their kid to win a derby, PM me I have the proven technique that made me the hero with my son.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
I polish the nails and run with graphite... Oh wait, that's my pinewood car.

Actually, anyone who is looking for their kid to win a derby, PM me I have the proven technique that made me the hero with my son.

-bw

Going off topic, but I grew up with an aeronautical engineer father. Our pinewood derby cars were actually tested in the wind tunnel at NASA. We would grind the wheels down to a razor edge, but BSA outlawed that. Proven techniques include adding camber to the wheels and also offsetting the axles so that only three wheels touch the track at any given time.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

you can get two wheels just touching the track if you work hard enough at offset, camber and ballast placement. Very difficult to do but it's what got us the big trophy!

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Motor City Hamilton

Region: Great Lakes/Detroit
Car #: 51
Year : 1994 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Motor City Hamilton     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You guys will even bend the rules in pine wood derby. No wonder we're having a hard enough time with Spec Miata rules.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thread thoroughly hijacked!

Don't.
Get.
Me.
Started.

From razor edging the wheels, chamfering the axle nails, molybdenum for lubrication, reducing the body thickness to the minimums (while removing as much "other" wood as possible) so you could put ALL the weight at the rear, my Dad did everything.

Needless to say my and my brother's shadow boxes were packed with 1st place ribbons when we were going up.

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keep the hijack going!

In my pack we just decided to end it all and create a dad's class. That way the kids w/o dads in the know were able to have fun.

Also, it was pretty easy to hollow out part of the car, put in a lead sinker, and then wood putty back over it and paint it.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Motor City Hamilton:
You guys will even bend the rules in pine wood derby. No wonder we're having a hard enough time with Spec Miata rules.

Beat me to it Kieth.

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
quote:

No. But after you REM them, maybe.

quote:

Define "finger tight". If its what I'm thinking of (literally tightening with fingers only) that sounds insanely dangerous. Were the RX7 hubs a press fit or did they just slide on like the Miata?

No, they were the type you press into the rotors.

Ok, as I think back about it, it was probably slightly more than finger tight. I think the procedure was tighten down, back off 1/4 or 1/2 turn and make sure that there is neither slop in the rotor/bearing/spindle (ie: no clicking) nor was it so tight that you were creating resistance.

quote:
Originally posted by John Mueller:
quote:
Back in my Spec RX7 days, I was taught to torque the nut down and back it off, then retighten to finger tight.

Finger tight then a cotter pin right???
[rolling on floor laughin] What's a cotter pin? I'm getting this mental image of wheels flying everywhere.

Yes, we used a cotter pin, one of the rare consessions to safety. [Smile]

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know this thread is as far off as a Lamborghini driving in the North Pole, but I am going to try to redirect here.
Why do you guys only talk about Redline CV-2?
What about Motul, Royal Purple, Lucas Oil, or any other brand grease for the wheel bearings?

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

There's also Swepco which I've heard good things about...

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

quote:
Originally posted by SCCA_Racer:
I know this thread is as far off as a Lamborghini driving in the North Pole, but I am going to try to redirect here.
Why do you guys only talk about Redline CV-2?
What about Motul, Royal Purple, Lucas Oil, or any other brand grease for the wheel bearings?

I've had Redline CV-2 separate on me (despite what others say on here). The red liquid on my shelf at home had no other source.

So, a local circle track prep shop sold me Mystic, as they had stopped selling redline due to separation issues. Of course, their cars are much heavier. However, after viewing JD's video, I doubt anyone else is using Mystic. That stuff is definitely heavier than redline.

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region

Interesting on the separation.

Did you happen to contact them about it?

Perhaps it maintains consistency while in use but standing in hot environments (I see you're in Hot-Lanta) causes things to break down?

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm going to guess it's due to humidity.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Are you guys using Swepco "101" Moly Grease or some other number?

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

SHOEDOG

Region: Mohud
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SHOEDOG     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm using Redline.My one failure came with Amsoil synthetic.

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Use Amsoil synthetic because that is what the front runners told me to use. So far so good.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Todd Green Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Utah
Car #: 55
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Green   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
Are you guys using Swepco "101" Moly Grease or some other number?

Yes. I had a RF hub fail on my car shortly after purchasing it. Bought new front hubs from Mazda and repacked them with Swepco 101 and have run 16 race days on it plus a 3 hour enduro with no issues. [thumbsup] Since I have another 3 hour this Sat I suppose I better add the proverbial "knock on wood".

Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: