Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata » BEST DAMN Spec Miata PERIOD! Part 1

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: BEST DAMN Spec Miata PERIOD! Part 1
Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

(OK that’s a little subjective)

Hats off to Tom Fowler, Ryan, Mike, Brad and everyone at OPM Autosports in Georgia for building a really awesome car. You guys are the best. I know how much time you put into this over this past weekend – much appreciated!

This car is a testament to their unwavering attention to detail. The pictures do not do it justice. I wish I had pictures of the crowds around the car at VIR. That says more than anything – we were mobbed for 3 days!

CONCEPT
The premise was simple. My lovely wife Kim always stresses…. “Danny, it’s not how good you are, it’s how good you look!”, so that was our starting point.

Tom was instructed to apply everything he had learned in over 50 race car builds, add to that everything we had learned about my old car #39 over the last 2 years, incorporate the latest stuff we have seen in the SE, and couple that with some new innovations, and build the best damn Spec Miata PERIOD!

DONOR
We started with a clean high mileage dark green donor '99 (cos they look waaaaay more cool than 1.6's) with no body damage at all. Everything was totally stripped to a bare tub, and the car was built from the tub up using new components where needed.

CAGE
Tom and Robinson Racing collaborated on making some new improvements to their tried and tested design. As you will see from the photos there are several new additions to the cage, and some new forward anchoring points.

The welds are beyond excellent; the penetrations through the parcel shelf and dashboard cutouts are incredibly tight with no gaps at all. And we went one further….. and believe me, this is not for the faint of heart……. we painted the cage matt black and the interior silver so you can imagine how much masking was involved in this process alone!

-

-

PAINT
I played on the computer for a month looking for a striking new color combination that would stand out on the track and also look fast standing still. I think the color combo works. You be the judge.

Tom's paint guy Glen is absolutely exceptional. The front of the car, including engine bay interior is blue. The rear of the car including trunk interior is graphite. The cockpit interior is silver. The cage is matt black. The entire car is clear-coated throughout. Plus the entire undercarriage is painted black. And the paint quality is amazing, better than you will see on many cars on a showroom floor.

-

-

GRAPHICS
I stayed with OPM’s trademark side swoosh and my signature orange accents. FishHead Graphics did a super job with the graphics and the overall combination is a stunner. Thanks Tiffany

-

-

-

ENGINE
We were very happy with the performance of the excellent Rossini engines we used last year, winning 3 championships and racing more than 37 races without issue. So I called Mike Rossini and he refreshed an engine for me and the boys plunked it in. Of course Ryan, Mike and Brad detailed the entire engine bay so it looks like a completely new car off the showroom floor.

-

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

DRIVETRAIN and UNDERSIDE
We completely went over everything in the gearbox, differential, prop shafts and half shafts. Joe is the man there, and did a tremendous job.

GAUGES
We borrowed the digital gauge idea from Cliffie Chains (thanks Cliffie), used AutoMeter digital gauges, which are great to look at in the car, easy to read, very cool blue color, but they do not show up at all in race video so some of the post race checking of temps and pressures that we used to be able to do by looking at video is no longer possible, so now we have to output all data to the Traqmate.

-

DATA
Traqmate is by far the dominant data system in Spec Miata in the SE, so we installed the newest Traqmate system complete with Chase Cam. Nothing special here except that the control is now via LANC so it is so much faster on/off switching and synching, plus you now have the ability to synch with ANY HD video camera with a LANC input. Now HD video and Traqmate are synched – way cool! Thanks Glenn

ELECTRICAL / FIRE SAFETY / KILL SWITCH
Mike did a great job on the electrical system. We retained the electrically adjustable side mirrors, blower fans, and all the other standard stuff. And with the heightened awareness from the recent tragedies, we wired in a DOUBLE Kill Switch and a DOUBLE Fire Pull, so that there is a Kill Switch and Fire Pull at the driver’s door for the Emergency crew, PLUS one of each within easy reach of the driver.

-

COST TO BUILD?
This is the question you are dying to ask… so what did it cost?

For that answer you will have to speak to Tom, he can give you an idea. We had lots of parts from the 2009 season, so I have no idea of the final build price.

Sure we went all out, and it could have been done for less, but Tom and I wanted not only a fast car but also a show car, that will turn heads and draw customers to his shop and to my photo studios …… and I think we did it.

I look forward to all your comments….. I am on my way to Brazil so will check in each day to see what the feedback is like

-

-

-

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The photos don't do it justice (not to sat that Danny pics aren't good) it's just that it is stunning in person.
Great job OPM autosports. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sweet lookin' ride.

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Blake Clements Verified Driver Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: SW - Houston
Car #: 6
Year : 99, 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blake Clements   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think it looks great, but I would have probably done the whole interior graphite as well.

--------------------
Blake Clements

PhillipsRacePrep/SP Induction Systems/East Street Racing/MiataCage.com/Carbotech/WBR Graphics

www.blakeclements.com

Dan Tiley Verified Driver Series Champ
Are you followin' me, camera guy???

Region: SEDIV
Car #: 33
Year : Whatever's Available!
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Tiley     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The grand prize goes to the person who can correctly identify the number of occurances of Danny's name on this car.

Sorry buddy.... had to make one little dig [Smile] This car is definitley an awesome piece. I thoroughly scoured it this weekend, and was floored with the build quality. Turns out, it's got some speed too. Well done OPM crew!

--------------------
Dan Tiley

Sponsored by Race Engineering

Spec Miata's fastest and best supported engine program!

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Tiley:
The grand prize goes to the person who can correctly identify the number of occurances of Danny's name on this car.

Sorry buddy.... had to make one little dig [Smile] This car is definitley an awesome piece. I thoroughly scoured it this weekend, and was floored with the build quality. Turns out, it's got some speed too. Well done OPM crew!

I counted 8, so I am going to guess nine?

Very nice car, but I think the best one is about to hit the track in Atlanta in a few weeks [yep] , the current best one resides in NH somewhere? [Frown]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow!

--------------------
Paul McLester

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Very nice job, but to think, this past week I decided to pound out my old front fenders instead of replacing them with a pair of like-new 'Panic' sourced fenders because I just know as soon as I put them on the car they'll get bashed. -Denny

SamBarnett Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NASA MA / SCCA CCR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This car is absolutely stunning in person. The pictures (though very good pictures) definitely don't do it justice. I caught myself just staring at it for long periods of time. Great job OPM on an amazing build.

--------------------
Race Engineering - Championship Winning Engines
Carbotech Performance Brakes
CDOC

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As Borat would say: "Very Nice!"

Good luck with the new car Danny, looks great!

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You are racing it without the seat??? [Razz] Talk about getting the center of gravity low!

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Black Sweeper Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: CFR
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Black Sweeper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Excellent Car, thats the way to do.

--------------------
CFR/SeDIV SM # 8

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

13 total if you count the watermarks in the photos.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great looking ride I like the contrasting black tubing with the silver interior, as far as getting dinged I guess thats why its so fast, dont want anybody near it. 1st class looking car

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

Dennis Bize Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 47
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dennis Bize     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Danny, your car looks beyond awesome but with the way you drive, you might as well have left the cruise control in. [fight] Congrats buddy can't wait to see how my new car stacks up.

--------------------
BSI RACING

CAVINYC.COM

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Those new Treadzone SCCA National Series stickers will go well with the paint scheme.

Beautiful car.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Scott Malbon Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Blue Ridge Region (103), SEDiv
Car #: 52
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scott Malbon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We were at OPM January 23rd and saw the donor just back from Robinson's. The cage was awesome but nothing else was done then. Nothing. We went by the OPM tent at VIR this weekend (March 6) to see the finished car. The transformation in six weeks is amazing as is the quality of work. And as others have noted, Danny can drive it too, also a tribute to his work ethic as a driver.

Scott

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Way cool car Danny. almost hate to see it race.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

Chris Fulton

Region: CFR
Car #: #38
SMIM: gepipe@rocketmail.com
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Fulton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

sweet ride! I love the orange on the car, especially like the headlights and all the tricked out gauges!

aged racer Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Blue Ridge/ Roanoke
Car #: 85 (SM now, was SSB)
Icon 1 posted  Profile for aged racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow. Hell, I thought Danny's first car was pretty good.

Well done, Tom and the OPM team. This ride ought to be on a cover (or calendar) somewhere in SCCA world.

Steve

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nice, Hope it stays that way.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

planet-miata.com

Region: NEPA
Car #: #00
Year : 20th century
Icon 1 posted  Profile for planet-miata.com   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

well, looks like i'm gonna to have to figure out how to chrome plate the hardtop on my next car! LOL

seriously gorgeous build!

great job to all involved. [thumbsup]

--------------------
#1 Supplier of New and Used Miata parts
http://WWW.PLANET-MIATA.COM

Marc Cefalo

#00 1996 ITA
#00 ???? SM

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Beautiful car, to nice to race.

Want one.!

Pat Slattery

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

suck fumes Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 75
Year : 3rd in the nation
Icon 1 posted  Profile for suck fumes     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

where did you find those cool hood pins?

--------------------
THAT JUST HAPPENED!!! -RickyBobby-

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Ancestor:

-

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow! Danny, "You make keeping up with Jones's" a pretty tall order. I love the color combo and the gauge work. Clearly one of the best looking rides out there. [thumbsup]

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do the headlight cover come off?

RYGAR Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
"The Unethical"

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 29
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RYGAR     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wow! the car looks amazing! It would be interesting to see pictures of it at the end of the season, hopefully it looks the same!

I wonder if your fellow racers will be intimidated to get racey with you in fear of messing up that sweet ride!

--------------------
Ryan G. #29
http://www.RentMoneyRacing.com

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by suck fumes:

http://www.aerocatch.com/

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

guest driver

Region: 011
Car #: 47
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guest driver     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

mr boerboel; enjoy your new mistress, ride her hard, to the front and to many wins! you a lucky guy,
[Big Grin]
& kudos to major Tom for the 100 pt. concours quality creation, if the first one was way fast, this one is should be wicked.
[thumbsup]
P.S. anyone remember Stu's '8 ball' 1.6 spec miata from back in '02? He was the first builder to create a masterpiece spec miata, then his BSI orange crush 'JD Signature Series' 1.8's of '05 ...
now it's OPM with their 2010 'Pebble Beach' '99 ... absolutely beautiful craftsmanship by one of the Masters
[yep]

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by PedalFaster:
quote:
Originally posted by suck fumes:

http://www.aerocatch.com/
I love our Aerocatch. We installed them the opposite way though (with the narrow side facing forward) even though clearance is tight. Aerocatch recommends narrow side forward as well--reason being if for whatever reason the latch somehow pops up at speed, air flow will keep the latch from opening completely. With the wide side facing forward, the air flow could cause the latch to open all the way.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

GROOTS

Region: NY
Car #: 48
Icon 1 posted  Profile for GROOTS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

NICE JOB !!!

--------------------
JEFF GRUTER
SM #48
EXCELL MOTORSPORTS
PARAMOUNT TOOL & EQUIPTMENT http://www.ptetool.com/

Alex Bolanos Verified Driver Series Champ

Car #: 18
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alex Bolanos     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sweet jesus, great job guys...

Brockodile

Region: Southeast
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brockodile     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As a Vandy fan, I'm a little uneasy with that shade of orange...reminds me of Bruce Pearl's sport coat... but my wife and my son (Auburnistas) think it looks good with the blue. Regardless of the color scheme, you'll make the car go fast and brighten up the grid in the bargain.

--------------------
Skip Brock
OPM Rental, RE Engine

Seems like everywhere I go,
The more I see,
The less I know.

"Say Hey", by Michael Franti

cintibob

Region: cfr
Car #: 13
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cintibob     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Truly awesome!!! if it was mine I would have to sleep in it for a while. The way we drive down here though you better stay in front. They filmed days of thunder here for a reason. Ha Ha!

Mighty Mike Made Donation to Website

Region: SFR
Car #: 42 & 92
Year : 91 & 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mighty Mike     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That is really sharp. The attention to detail is out of this world. I love the colors you picked.
Nice!!!

Michael Niemann
Team MiataKa Racing

Mitch Taylor

Region: FLA
Car #: 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Very nice 40k , miata. Nothing like a new build, clean undercarriage, and perfect running gear.

Unreal cage are some of the cage reinforecment tube of thinner tubing to keep weight down?

OPM AUTOSPORTS INC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Atlanta
Car #: 60 65 67
Year : 1990 1999 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for OPM AUTOSPORTS INC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mitch Taylor:
Very nice 40k , miata. Nothing like a new build, clean undercarriage, and perfect running gear.

Unreal cage are some of the cage reinforcement tube of thinner tubing to keep weight down?

Only the small corner gusset tubes. Thanks for all the comments and congrats. I have order forms ready and waiting. Call now !

--------------------
-Tom Fowler-
OPM Autosports / SMAC MEMBER
http://www.opmautosports.com

PEATMOSS

Region: BUCCANNEER #34
Car #: 46
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PEATMOSS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[group hug] [thumbsup] Enjoyed being under the OPM tent for the debut of the new ride last week at VIR.You drove as well as the car looks! Nice work OPM!

--------------------
PETER BOGART
REGION 34
"The home of Roebling Road"

Hi Guys

Checking in from Copacabana beach in Brazil - don't get too jealous, its been work all week, but I will take some of the weekend to get to see this lovely spot.

Thanks to all for the kind words, but please direct them at Tom and his crew as they did all the hard work. I just came up with the color scheme. As I say when you see it in real life, you will be stunned by the build quality.

As to keeping it this way for the season, anyone making that comment hasn't seen me drive. Unfortunately I am sure that it will make many return trips to the body shop, but I hope to delay that as long as possible, so guys treat me nice!

Looking forward to the National next week at Road Atlanta. Hopefully the car will have the speed to stay with the big boys. Last year I got lucky and Cliff Brown gave it to me in the last corner. Doubt that will happen again this year.

And if anyone is contemplating a new build, give Tom Fowler at OPM Autsports a call. He will give you a good deal and build an awesome car, as you can see above.

See you all soon.

--------------------
Danny
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: