Spec Miata Community
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Spec Miata Archives » Spec Miata 2001-2009 » Drivetrain whine

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Drivetrain whine
bowlegs

Icon 1 posted  Profile for bowlegs     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cannot isolate whine, stays the same frequency at all rpms. Most noticable when backing off speed. Ball and pinion or transmission? Sounds seem to come from trans back to diff.
Thanks

--------------------
al latimer

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm assuming that when you say "same frequency at all RPMs", you mean either in different gears, or when pushing the clutch in. The noise does vary in frequency with road speed, right?

The most common whines that are different on and off power are probably ring & pinion, but it's not a slam dunk. If you can hear it when running the car on jack stands, you can isolate it better that way. You might also ask someone in your area to take a ride with you.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

bowlegs

Icon 1 posted  Profile for bowlegs     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim

The whine stops when clutch is disengaged. The frequency of the whine is the same sound. It is noticable in all gears but louder at cruising and then backing off accelerator. I have had two transmission people say diffent, one transmission, the other differential. Will put it on jack stands and check it that way.Hardly hear it when accelerating.
Thanks
Al

--------------------
al latimer

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What do you mean by "The frequency of the whine is the same sound"? If you back off on the throttle and let the car slow down, doesn't the whine get lower in pitch as the car slows?

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've heard lots of drivers whine about their drivetrain. [rolling on floor laughin]

smtejas Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 19 posted  Profile for smtejas     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Hardly hear it when accelerating.
You've diagnosed the culprit.
You drive too slow.

Always have your foot to the floor.
Problem fixed. And you won't whine.

[Big Grin]
Don

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've had the same problem for a couple years, and always get the same response when I posted on this forum in the past. Lots of comments about whining [Frown] Symptom is "sound" heard at deceleration between 2k-4k rpm. Happened to me after I did a clutch replacement. I've had the tranny out a couple time since then, but have not found the problem yet. I've gone through one rearend since then, so that's not it. I'm putting in a different tranny for this year.

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Carl Hatfield Verified Driver

Region: NWR, Oregon, ICSCC
Car #: 75
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Carl Hatfield   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I bet it is the input shaft bearing in the transmission. My street Miata had a very similar problem. I solved it by replacing the transmission.

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Carl,

That sounds like a very plausible culprit. I was fairly sure the whining wasn't coming from behind the wheel.

Thanks,

-Bruce

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Carl Hatfield Verified Driver

Region: NWR, Oregon, ICSCC
Car #: 75
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Carl Hatfield   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mine originally made the noise when decelerating, but it eventually started making the noise all the time, except for when the clutch was in. Once it started to make a "knocking" noise under load, I figured it was time to replace the tranny!

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: