Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Central » Kettle Saturday SMT race video?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Kettle Saturday SMT race video?
Justin Elder Verified Driver

Region: Land O Lakes
Car #: 19
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Justin Elder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If anyone was in close proximity and has video that shows my wreck at Canada corner from Saturday's SMT race at Road America, I'd sure like to see it. Total brake failure going to Canada corner made for a wild ride!

Thanks,
Justin Elder

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Did you have a problem with the brakes like a broken line? Or, did the pads kick back and cause a lonng pedal?

Pad kick back is very common at Canada due to running over the rumble strips at T8

Glad to see you got the fixed for Sunday

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Justin Elder Verified Driver

Region: Land O Lakes
Car #: 19
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Justin Elder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A seal failed in the left rear caliper, by the time I got to Canada I had pumped out all the brake fluid and had no pressure at all. I should have known better and pulled off right away, thought I just had a lot of air in the line.

Zauskycop Verified Driver

Region: Chicago
Car #: 45
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Zauskycop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pad kick back....

And that was MY lesson at RA this weekend...

--------------------
Tracy Ramsey
Team Blenderblaster

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can someone explain pad kick back?

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

jim kettelkamp

Region: GRR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jim kettelkamp     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

when you run over the alligators at track out the brake pads get rattled off the calipers slightly. when you go for the brakes the next time they are mushy until you get the pads reseated on the calipers. if you pump the brakes once or twice after you go over the rumble strips they will be there in Canada when you need them. I didn't see your off last weekend but im guessing that might be what happened...

KachMiata

Region: Central
Car #: 80
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for KachMiata     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I got pad kick back going into T3 at the Cat Nationals. It was my first expeince with it.. scary to say the least.

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is there anything that you can do to eliminate pad kickback other than pumping the brakes. I know Shawn had that happen several times until he learned about pumping the brakes. That doesn't inspire confidence in your brake system.

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by pat slattery:
Is there anything that you can do to eliminate pad kickback other than pumping the brakes. I know Shawn had that happen several times until he learned about pumping the brakes. That doesn't inspire confidence in your brake system.

Pat

Pat
If you are not getting kick back YOU ARE getting drag. It is a take your pick IMO. I know lots of different opinions on brake clips and hardware. I think running the hardware works best.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I normally do not run any brake clips except at Road America. The gators are soooo rough that the pads will actually crack and break apart without the clips.

We also check all brake pins and bolts every night at Road America. For the rears that means removing the calipers to check the stationary pin.

I replace the rear caliper pins and bolts regularly for the guys who run Road America often.

Today will be my 5th trip to Road America this year, averaging 9 cars per event. Most running 2 classes. So I do have some experience with the place. 2 more trips before the runoffs.

Good thing I like the track so much...... [Wink] [Wink]

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: