This is topic MSRH race queens race fatcats available in forum SCCA South-West at Spec Miata Community.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://forum.specmiata.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/11/561.html

Posted by Jeff Mosing (Member # 1719) on :

I have a set of fatcat bumpstops available for this weekend (14-15 feb) at the MSR race. $215
Jeff 512-771-0767

Posted by mdavis (Member # 3121) on :

Any updates from today?

Posted by Blake Clements (Member # 1377) on :

Kelleher with the last lap last corner pass to beat McSpadden. Corley p3.

Posted by Blake Hinsey (Member # 6111) on :

Congrats! Complete results asap please. I missed everyone this weekend :[

Posted by Matt Reynolds (Member # 3857) on :

daaaaaamn... the red dragon was slain

Posted by cam (Member # 1381) on :

Results posted Results

Andy Rushing
Karl Zimmermann
Gale Corly - first National race
Joye Pratt - first National race
James York

Aaron was black flaged for pump drafting as well as atleast one other and at least one was black flaged for jumping a curb. Someone was busted for passing under FCY.

Updated to reflect first National race for Gale and Joye

[ 02-16-2009, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: cam ]

Posted by suck fumes (Member # 1661) on :

i pulled in thinking i was blacked, but i forgot the rolled flag with number is just a warning DOHHHHH! have to redeem myself at TWS.

not to mention the scales in tech were so far off it was humorous, said i was 35 pds over with less than a gallon HAHHA, RIGGGHT.

congratulations to andy though!! he is overdue for a win.

Congrats Andy - It was easy to see this one coming with all the improvement you made over the last year.

Blake

Posted by taylorf (Member # 1432) on :

Congrats to Andy for Sunday and Adam for Saturday!

Posted by cnj (Member # 13716) on :

Excellent drive by Adam on Saturday, just taking the win from Aaron at the last corner. Classic run through the pack again by Aaron after having challenges with car setup in qualifying.

Great job by Andy on Sunday who was really fast this weekend. Many drove hard this weekend but a shout out to Gale Corley who got 3rd on Saturday, won ITA and then got 3rd on Sunday in his first National.

Aaron, don't beat yourself up too much about coming in for the furled black flag, I think you did the right thing, in fact go ahead and come in every time you see a furled black flag,open black flag or pretty much any flag - just in case they want to talk to you.

Craig J

Posted by Willie the Tard (Member # 2319) on :

I would give some kudos to the new guy, Joey Pratt, fastest in Q anf P4 in his first national. Great job

Posted by trimless1 (Member # 2624) on :

Congratulations to Adam K. for the Saturday win. Sundays race was a blast and Andy deserved the win from start to finish. Karl and I had a good battle for P2 and Karl won so hats off to you Karl! And thanks Craig for the kind words, I had the car set up well for the Sunday race so things fell into place.

Two observations from this weekend.

1. The extra 100 pounds that the 1.8 now has to lug around the track compared to the 1.6 has removed any torque advantage the car had previously. I think the parity is much closer now. With equal drivers and prep, the 1.6 is the car to have in my opinion.
2. The 888 tires DO NOT stick well when the tread wears down, at least not at MSRH. I had one tire that had worn down pretty well by Sunday and the last few laps of the race the car was not sticking well at all. RA-1 seemed to last longer and stick until they were corded provided they were shaved 3/32 or lower.

Full race video posted later today.

Gale

[ 02-17-2009, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: trimless1 ]

the tight tracks like both MSR's def favor the 1.6 cars, i still think the 1.8's will have an advantage on the bigger tracks with bigger corners.

Posted by Drago (Member # 1406) on :

Congrats Andy and Adam.
I know Andy has been getting better and better and working really hard at it. Overdue perhaps! Good job!
Sounds like it was a fun weekend all around,
Jim

Posted by Bobby C (Member # 13959) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Willie the Tard:
I would give some kudos to the new guy, Joey Pratt, fastest in Q anf P4 in his first national. Great job

Nice job Joey!!!!!

What car did you drive? 1.6, 1.8, or 2001?

Keep it up..

Bobby

Posted by Karl (Member # 60) on :

I'm pretty sure Joey was in a 1600. Really pretty.

Jeff Mosing had the fastest lap in his '99 (1:50.061), Gale next fastest in an 1800 (1:50.170) though Andy never really had to push (1:50.338) with all the action behind him.

Thanks to Bill at Driveway Austin for helping me blow the cobwebs out. Bevo's motor needs a bit more breakin and a better pilot....and a new hood.

Eric Foss has done a great job with Gale. I wasn't expecting the fight I got. Great package there. If Clint is helping with the setup he needs a pat on the back as well.

WTG ANDY!!!!! He won in the 33 car on his 33rd birthday.

Sounds like the parity is about right. Build them all time [Smile]

Good job to everyone - sounds like TWS is going be the a dog fight with some out of towners coming down. Are you going to bring out the Silver Dragon, Curly?

who all is coming from out of town.

quote:
Originally posted by suck fumes:
who all is coming from out of town.

[Smile]

Posted by trimless1 (Member # 2624) on :

Here's the condensed 10 minute version of the national race at MSRH. Had to edit out all of the bump drafting and rubbin'. JK, very clean race by all up front: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmpJW5K8o_0

quote:
Are you going to bring out the Silver Dragon, Curly?

I am assuming this is in reference to me, although I do not have curly hair anymore. Either way, I will be there.

Posted by rushing23 (Member # 2467) on :

I appreciate the recognition guys--thank you. Everything finally came together this weekend for me. It was a great way to cap off my bday with family and friends.

Watching Karl and Gale go at it in my rear-view was entertaining--it looked real aggressive yet completely clean--almost wish I could have diced it up with you two... Gale and his 1.8 were working real well this weekend--think I'm lucky that I started ahead of him.

Joey Pratt is a great talent in what appears to be a very well prepped 1.6. His qual lap was outstanding for those conditions. It's great to see new guys coming in and doing well.

Question though: Who is NOT being coached by Mr. Foss here in the SW???

TWS is going to be fun as always!!

quote:
Originally posted by rushing23:
I appreciate the recognition guys--thank you.

This win reminds me of the same stuff they keeping saying about Dale Jr on the Boogity Boogity Nascar. I'm glad you won, because you're getting kinda old. [Big Grin]

Blake, will you be on this side of the pond for the TWS race? Hey Andy, if you wanted to dice it up with Karl and Gale you should have lifted [Smile] Happy Birthday and great race!!

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Mosing:
Blake, will you be on this side of the pond for the TWS race? Hey Andy, if you wanted to dice it up with Karl and Gale you should have lifted [Smile] Happy Birthday and great race!!

Nope, I tried but the old job came calling.

I'll be on the Asian continent taking in some sunshine. You guys have fun!

This year has indications of being very competitive here in the SW Div. A bunch of previously upper mid packers have stepped up their game and then we have Joey who clearly is going to cause some waves. All cool stuff.

One person to watch is Chris Rhoades, a high school senior who started racing last year. This weekend was Chris's first time in a Spec Miata, first time driving a non ABS car in anger (he has been racing MX5 Cup so had to learn threshold braking over the weekend) and first time CCW at this track, all in a rental. He did extremely well this weekend with a 2nd in ITA and a 12th in the National. Watch out old guys.

James York has really sorted his car out for this season and I nearly went into the grass in turn 2 trying to keep up with him. He told me he had to lift to avoid hitting Jeff in 2 as he was so much faster. Talking of Jeff, he must have had quite the massage ride given how much he flat spotted his tires in turn 16 multiple laps in a row <G>. There were a couple of times there was so much smoke I couldn't see the apex. Didn't seem to slow him down much though. I'm pleased for Jeff but sad for us that we won't see him for some of the season as he runs MX5 Cup this year.

Craig J

Hehe!!! Yep, taking trail braking to a ho.....nutha.....lavallll!!! (Cheezy MAD TV quote)

I may have pushed a little too hard in the braking zones. The tires got so square that when I braked after lap 11, things got quiet. They wouldn't even squeal anymore!! LOL Always fun to race with you Craig, a true gentleman and not just because you are NOT from around these parts. Christopher and his dad were nice enough to have me race with them at the 25hr Thunderhill race and he is quite talented. He will catch on quick I think. Don't worry Craig, I'll squeeze in as many races as I can to try to party with all the Texans of Ten that make it to the Runoffs this year. If I don't make it, there's always SRF [Smile] )

Posted by James R. (Member # 1012) on :

I watched most of the race from the Mosing balcony. Was in tech on the first lap and saw Andy check out from the get go at turn 4. The race between Karl and Gale was really good to watch. Gale did everything possible to get by but Karl had an answer every lap. JP3, Caesar and Kent also did a great race. The three of them swapped places several times, but JP3 finally got the best of them and Kent got hung up in traffic, but battled back to contact. Craig, Jeff and James were in a foursome that was just as entertaining. Really great job Andy! Happy Birthday as well.

James

Posted by Kent Carter (Member # 2245) on :

James, Will Keeling wasn't 'traffic' but a contender for the group, too. While JP3, Caesar and I were battling for position, Will was clicking off solid laps and reeling us in. Trying to keep Caesar behind me, I pushed wide in the keyhole. Trying to get the nose back under me I lifted too much and the tail snapped loose -- Will sailed right by me. If Will hadn't made a similar mistake, I would have finished behind him.

It was fun racing, but you know JP3 is having a bad day when the likes of me is sticking the nose of the car under him now and then. I'm sure he'll sort it out and be a speck in the distance again.

with the two new guys and how much everybody else has improved -- this is going to be a very long year for me [Frown] fastest lap I have ever run a MSRH was only good enough for 13th -- and we still do not have sideshow in the show

i think me and JP3 will have to step up and really put on our game face now. No more fooling around!

Aaron, I took a quick vote with myself and decided that you and JP3 putting your game face on is absolutely not in my best interest - so feel free to ease into it and build slowly for the next few races....

Craig J

LOL!

Posted by Caesar Vielmas (Member # 13987) on :

A few highlights from both days are now posted - YozoY.com.

Lap 1 on Saturday with the dancing cars, Lap 1 on Sunday and the crash.

First time in the rain for me. I'm glad I kept the car in one piece for Sunday. I had a lot of ground to make up after qualifying 18th but settled for a good battle with JP3 and Kent.....I think JP3 wanted some camera time.... [Smile]

Posted by Kent Carter (Member # 2245) on :

Caesar... very clean race! I look forward to you posting the whole video. I think I'll throw the two in my video editing software and make a nice little movie! Of course, I'll edit out the 8 cars ahead of us and delete Will.

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
I'll edit out the 8 cars ahead of us and delete Will.

Cool, it will be like i was never there [Smile]

Can all you guys just slow back down? I liked that a lot better

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Reynolds:
Can all you guys just slow back down? I liked that a lot better

I already did -- Oh you were talking about the fast guys

Posted by Jason Saini (Member # 795) on :

Great racing, everyone! It was fun to watch, the way SM racing should be. Made me itch to get out there! Foss and I are trying to scare up cars to run at TWS, and I know of a few out-of-towners coming in - will be a fun weekend, I'm already looking forward to it!

Congrats to Joey, Christopher, Jayme, Jeff, Gale, Craig, and all our Clinic participants... you can see, those who have visited our school are starting to float to the top! Now we need to work on teaching lap-one aggression! lol.

Posted by Ara (Member # 372) on :

I'm coming to play in March at TWS.

Jason, I hope you and Eric make it down too. We'll recreate the Atlanta 2007 race. [Wink]

Sts

Posted by Jason Saini (Member # 795) on :

Maybe right up until the end, Ara! [Wink]

Methinks that scoring points in the double National at TWS just got a little trickier.

Craig J

quote:
Originally posted by Ara:
I'm coming to play in March at TWS.

Jason, I hope you and Eric make it down too. We'll recreate the Atlanta 2007 race. [Wink]

Sts

I believe Ara just said all the Pro boys are coming to town and going to put a Texas sized whoopin on everyone. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

I bet a few I know a few people (you know, Top 5 in Runoffs, no big deal [Razz] ) who will try to make sure that doesn't happen. [Wink]

great -- now I will not even be in the top twenty

Posted by Mike Bell (Member # 1912) on :

Hey, some of us get knocked down to the "top 40" as a result, it's all a matter of perspective I guess [Smile]

Posted by Ara (Member # 372) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Blake Clements:
I believe Ara just said all the Pro boys are coming to town and going to put a Texas sized whoopin on everyone. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

I bet a few I know a few people (you know, Top 5 in Runoffs, no big deal [Razz] ) who will try to make sure that doesn't happen. [Wink]

I'm just coming to have fun. TWS is my first ever home track. I only know one other SM driver who has more laps than I do there...