This is topic Runoofs, no that is not a spelling mistake in forum Spec Miata at Spec Miata Community.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://forum.specmiata.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/4921.html

Posted by tony senese (Member # 3677) on :

No this is not a spoiler, but I gotta say, that was a pretty sad championship race except right at the front!

Posted by Motor City Hamilton (Member # 13046) on :

So metal to metal contact is aparently o.k. at the runoffs too? Did the section on driver conduct fall out of the GCR for this week?

Posted by guest driver (Member # 6109) on :

opening lap is always a beatch, especially with 60 starters, then the extended FCC ate up a bunch of time ramping up the sense of urgency ...
until a competitor gives us a race report, i'm guessing the track conditions were not good, the GTL race before may have left a greassy track?? They (SM) were 4 sec per lap off the pole pace with 60 degree ambient air temps / cloudy sky.

Posted by Lance Snyder (Member # 2111) on :

Significant rain the night prior washed away any rubber along with a nasty wind, I'm glad I wasn't workin corners in that mess.

earlier AM other races before them were all at their Q times, maybe the 30 MPH wind did affect SM's top speed ... but 3 - 4 sec per lap??
something else was going on there ...

Posted by Zauskycop (Member # 19955) on :

Headwinds one way = tailwinds another way...

Posted by Jason Saini (Member # 795) on :

Spoken like a true Air Traffic Controller! [Smile]

Posted by Todd Lamb (Member # 6141) on :

Won't argue against the notion that some games were at play in qual, but seeing as how the front pack was battling side by side, blocking, and otherwise running each other to (or past) the edge of the track I don't see when they had time to run a clean lap and get anywhere near qual times.

Posted by Keith in WA (Member # 16099) on :

but it also means crosswinds the other two ways

Posted by Motor City Hamilton (Member # 13046) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Lamb:
Won't argue against the notion that some games were at play in qual, but seeing as how the front pack was battling side by side, blocking, and otherwise running each other to (or past) the edge of the track I don't see when they had time to run a clean lap and get anywhere near qual times.

+ 1 and no team drafting help to get a clean fast lap.

Posted by JimEli (Member # 1428) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zauskycop:
Headwinds one way = tailwinds another way...

Round trip time with a wind will always be slower than the time absent a wind.

Posted by suck fumes (Member # 1661) on :

All cars up front magically got slower during the race mainly on the straightaways. What else is new. Race comes, cars get slower top speed mmmm wonder why.

Posted by fishguyaz (Member # 3927) on :

quote:
Originally posted by guest driver:
earlier AM other races before them were all at their Q times, maybe the 30 MPH wind did affect SM's top speed ... but 3 - 4 sec per lap??
something else was going on there ...

what happened to the brent musberger thing you had going on?
it was internet forum posting gold!

starting a chant....
we want brent, we want brent

if i may quote the black sheep dude ;
"lots of games going on with most oblivious of them even happening".
My work is done here, i'm done, looks like the "Brent Musburger" routine may have been read by some, color charts reviewed, clothes were changed, a fair battle was fought at the front...
the fat lady has sung and we have a winner!
The new, Heavy Weight Spec Miata Champion of all the Land, Mr AAAAAAndrew Von C.
Good night all.

Posted by Capt. John (Member # 1340) on :

The duration of time exposed to a head wind will be longer than the duration of time getting an advantage from a tail wind. What's the max cross wind component of a Spec Miata? 29 Kts. for a B-727. Not that it matters; but we can all agree that "it's an ill wind that blows no good" Congrats to all for the clean, heads up racing that took place at the pointy end of the pack.
Andrew you da man. See ya back in sunny S Fl.