This is topic video My First Race in forum SMTV at Spec Miata Community.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://forum.specmiata.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/38/111.html

Posted by Gary Shenk (Member # 19338) on :

Just competed in my first race this past weekend at NJMP and just finished the video. Way more fun the TT and HPDE. I think I'll be back for more [Big Grin] Thanks to all the helpful folks on this forums. Especially the guy I followed during qualifying which helped me to a front row start.

This is a 2 part video, enjoy

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ep9Wjm72PM

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noDut5ubkWM&feature=quicklist

Posted by wheel (Member # 3072) on :

I don't understand why you don't mount your camera up higher. The top of the dash cuts of everything except the up hill stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
I don't understand why you don't mount your camera up higher. The top of the dash cuts of everything except the up hill stuff.

Oh geez. [Mad] First race, New Car, Still learning. What don't you get? Did it ever occur to you that the mount I have along with the roll bar design does not allow it to be higher until I make some modifications? Did not think so. Getting the car ready to race was more important. I'll seek your guidance and approval the next time prior to posting a video. Thank You. I'm convinced that some folks only post to increase their total post numbers.

[ 11-04-2009, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Gary Shenk ]

Posted by d mathias (Member # 343) on :

Thus signals the first day of 'Parked Miata Syndrome' (PMS) season. [Wink]

(trying to reach 2K)

Posted by misterwaterfallin (Member # 15609) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Shenk:
quote:

Oh geez. [Mad] First race, New Car, Still learning. What don't you get? Did it ever occur to you that the mount I have along with the roll bar design does not allow it to be higher until I make some modifications? Did not think so. Getting the car ready to race was more important. I'll seek your guidence and approval the next time prior to posting a video. Thank You. I'm convinced that some folks only post to increase their total post numbers.
and there's strike one

Posted by Drago (Member # 1406) on :

Gary
Jim's business is video production? [Big Grin] I think you took his post entirely the wrong way. He is a very helpful and rarely sarcastic member on the site.

P.S.
Why the hell did you mount your camera so low, it cuts off all the up the hills stuff? [duck]

Jim

Gary,
Sorry my post was so short and critical. Should have been more diplomatic. I try to watch as many of these in-car deals as possible, especially from new guys. Sometimes, as a 35 year racer, coach and instructor, I can add a comment or two, that might help. Unfortunately, with a low camera angle, it is very difficult to see the turn in points, apexes, etc.
wheel

And, yes, as Jim said, I have also produced and directed automotive films and commercials for longer than I have been racing.

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
Gary
Jim's business is video production? [Big Grin] I think you took his post entirely the wrong way. He is a very helpful and rarely sarcastic member on the site.
Jim

Yeah you're probably right but, I probably took it the wrong way because he wrote it the wrong way. I don't know who he is as much as he does not know who I am. I'm new to this forum and always get surprised by how some folks reply. It is totally different from other car racing forums I belong to. I posted my video out of total excitement from this past weekend hoping to share and talk about the great time I had racing my car for the first time and the first post I get is someone telling me to mount my camera higher. Like I don't already know that.

But sincerely, Thanks Jim for the inside scoop. I'm here to make freinds but it looks like I'm learning more about who I will enjoy passing on the track [Big Grin]

edited for spelling ( my own [Big Grin] )

[ 11-04-2009, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Drago ]

quote:
Gary,
Sorry my post was so short and critical. Should have been more diplomatic.

Apology excepted. [thumbsup]

I like that PMS thing that was posted above. I must remember that!

Posted by Vick (Member # 13121) on :

I think it's awesome you did your first race in the rain! A lot of guys see the clouds and jut put the car away. It wasn't exactly a light drizzle, damp track day either.

See you out there next season.

Posted by Eric Barbaric (Member # 1939) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Shenk:
quote:

Oh geez. [Mad] First race, New Car, Still learning. What don't you get? Did it ever occur to you that the mount I have along with the roll bar design does not allow it to be higher until I make some modifications? Did not think so. Getting the car ready to race was more important. I'll seek your guidence and approval the next time prior to posting a video. Thank You. I'm convinced that some folks only post to increase their total post numbers.
[shame] "guidance"

Proudly posting to increase my post numbers. Haven't you read about the prize?

Posted by Johnny D (Member # 19554) on :

Just sounds like Gary is a defensive driver. He put a lot of passion into his video. You can tell he's hooked now.
My hugh rain rush was in SCCA school doing pratice starts. In a pack of cars, we took off, couldn't see the car ahead from the mist, doing 100 and not going to lift until I see break lights and hoping the guy makes turn 1.
J~

I did a five day Bondurant school at Sears Point, in 1978. Bob told us how lucky we were to have four days of rain. He, of course, was right. It really teaches you about smoothness, among other things. Props to Gary for a successful first outing. I remember mine, in 1975, like it was yesterday. Of course, video cameras that weighed less than 75 pounds hadn't been invented yet.
wheel

Posted by Vick (Member # 13121) on :

Just checked......grand prix was filmed in 1966. Has to be one of my favourite racing movies. The making of is pretty intense.

Also, lemans was filmed in 1971. Prob easier to put a camera in a prototype than on a formula ford though.....and no clue what the instructors would have said.

In about 1970 I worked on a film project at a tire test track in Hondo, Texas. I was an assistant cameraman/camera operator and the guy who built the camera rigs, for the shoot, was Bill Frick. He was the guy who invented all of the camera rigs used on Grand Prix. He was the first to mount a 35 mm movie camera and make it pan and tilt, while mounted on a race car. We were shooting for a tire company, and I was in total awe of Bill. I worked with him several times, again, in later years. I stole everything I could from him about how to mount a camera on a moving vehicle. I used most of what I stole, when I did the film for Bondurant in 1977. Look for his name in the credits, next time you watch the movie. Actually, both their names, as Bob was one of the drivers for the film. Good times.
wheel

Posted by Gatoratty (Member # 15983) on :

Wheel

Enjoy!
http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures...524D5AA350C8}&sent=stored

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Wheel

Enjoy!
http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures...524D5AA350C8}&sent=stored

Those cars had to be a hoot to drive. Tons of horsepower, Skinny hard tires and no brakes. [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny D:
Just sounds like Gary is a defensive driver. He put a lot of passion into his video. You can tell he's hooked now.
My hugh rain rush was in SCCA school doing pratice starts. In a pack of cars, we took off, couldn't see the car ahead from the mist, doing 100 and not going to lift until I see break lights and hoping the guy makes turn 1.
J~

Not defensive enough. I got spanked on the second lap. But learned some valuable lessons about ceasing every moment. Your story sounds exactly what was going through my mind several times Sunday. Some laps brake lights were all you could see.

Posted by Johnny D (Member # 19554) on :

Defensive being a play on words with your response of the camera being mounted too low.
J~

Yeah,I know, I was just trying to steer away from that subject. [Wink]

Paul,
Thanks. Wonderful stuff.

Posted by 38BFAST (Member # 3720) on :

I mount my camera so you can see out the back window using the rear view mirror. About eye level. Poor man’s 2 camera system. Just a friendly suggestion.

Posted by d mathias (Member # 343) on :

Paul, you are a font of classic motorsports photography.

Bondurant to Garner, "Don't worry Jim, your side doesn't need a rollbar".

Gary, you almost got the chance to experience the joy of home auto body repair (part 2, 1:04).

-Denny

PS, I'm afraid to offer a critique of your soundtrack choices. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Gary, you almost got the chance to experience the joy of home auto body repair (part 2, 1:04).

-Denny

Tell me about it! It all happened so fast that it did not seem close while behind the wheel but, I said a big yikes when I saw the video too. I certainly did not want to pound to fit and paint to match at my first event.

As far as the music? Kinda puts a date on me huh? I'm not a real music guy so my library is extremely small, out dated and well, sucks! I'm thinking Lawrence Welk next time?

Posted by Steve D. (Member # 2351) on :

quote:

Once I am *that* sideways, I put both feet in so I will slide on a consistent trajectory. That can help avoid the "snap" at the end of the spin and makes it easier for trailing cars to avoid you.

Glad that one worked out for you!

Posted by Muda (Member # 3309) on :

That puddle at the apex is a real bear. In my rain race a month earlier it started out deep, went away completely and then came back for the last few laps.

It almost got me at the end.

The rain line on most tracks is normally not anywhere near the usual apexes. In part because of the puddles that form there, held in by the rumble strips. The other reason is that the usual line is also where all the oil is and the pavement is usually much smoother, from all the tires rolling over it.

Posted by Dainbramage (Member # 7016) on :

Looks like you had alot of fun.

Did you run in SSM or SM?

quote:
Originally posted by Muda:
That puddle at the apex is a real bear. In my rain race a month earlier it started out deep, went away completely and then came back for the last few laps.

It almost got me at the end.

You got it and puddle there was. My spin actually started a turn earlier which changed my line for the spinning turn. I clipped the curb and it was all over. I was torn which line to drive. I drove a rain line in qual which gave me a great start but most drove a normal line during the race. The problem for me was drive a rain line or drive the line that most were driving which created a line with less standing water? On line less water or off line more water?

My car is currently SSM but entered as SM

Posted by Dan Tiley (Member # 3601) on :

quote:

-Denny

Ahhh yes... the "hands-a-flailing" approach to saving a car from unreasonable yaw rates. Reminds me of this little gem of video from my Mid-O event last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_9SP-1-6n4

Posted by Adam Figarsky (Member # 2581) on :

more fast hands
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSFthhVCNEU
--
congrats on satisfying your race dreams Gary...so cool
-
also congrats on allowing me to one up my post count...$$$$$$
---
were my music choices ok?

quote:
Originally posted by Adam Figarsky:
were my music choices ok?

Help me out, were those 6 notes an 80s tune?

Liked your video from the Glen. Great laps!

Posted by Adam Figarsky (Member # 2581) on :

QUOTE]Help me out, were those 6 notes an 80s tune?

uuhhhhhhh...i dont know...probably originals were from 60-70s then some rap dude remade some song with it...
--
thanks for compliment

Posted by Qik Nip (Member # 1474) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Tiley:
quote:

-Denny

Ahhh yes... the "hands-a-flailing" approach to saving a car from unreasonable yaw rates. Reminds me of this little gem of video from my Mid-O event last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_9SP-1-6n4

Dan:
Nice hands. The circus music was especially entertaining!
Watching that video, I bet you wish youda gone for the pass on the blue car versus givig him that generous push!
Rick