This is topic Spec Miata on Forza Motorsport 3 in forum SMulators at Spec Miata Community.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://forum.specmiata.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/40/63.html

Posted by SamBarnett (Member # 3297) on :

It looks like a bunch of people are building virtual Spec Miatas on this and I've heard some leagues are forming. Is anyone on this site participating?

I built a car last night but it seems each league has slightly different specs. Maybe specmiata.com could work to standardize the specs? I'd definitely be interested in helping with some organization of this. Anyone else game?

Xbox live screenname: "sambarnett"

Posted by jj15ball (Member # 14732) on :

We can't agree on specs for our actual race cars! How are we going to do it in a Virtual environment? [Smile]

I've been thinking of picking up Forza 3. I'm game for Virtual Spec Miata's. There wouldn't be any PRO Motor controversies.

Do the Miata's handle better than they do in Forza 2?

Posted by Sean Allen (Member # 3800) on :

I had so much fun playing this game last weekend. We just raced stock miata's in multiplayer at tracks like laguna seca and road atlanta. Bump drafting and all!

Posted by John A - 5x Racing (Member # 2857) on :

I am so stoked about this!! I got the game the day it came out and built a spec miata, it seems the developers had us in mind when they set up the in game miata. I built a stock miata (so glad they put a hardtop on it this time) with the following mods and ran exact to the second lap times as I do with my real car at Sebring long:

-15x7 team dynamics pro race 1 wheels (they have the pr2 as well)
-205-50-15 tire size
-race suspension (fully adjustable spring rates) with the exact rates as our real springs have
-sport sway bars
-roll cage

I did not go any further as I did not want to exceed the "F" class limit, but will add the other mods to replicate a true 1995 SM now that I am done with the races I needed to do (sport clutch, sport air filter, race exhaust, dot race tires). After these mods I believe I will be at the real life SM lap record at Sebring long, which is close enough for me!

I am a complete nerd for this game and would be open to a late night weekend race series or league (Friday or Saturday Nights). Send me a friend request on xbox live and we'll set something up. I am even open to putting something about a series on my Team portion of my website if we get a decent league going.

Gamertag: john5xracing

Also, the SM setup I put on the car is pretty damn good, I put it on my "storefront" for download for 1000 credits. Check it out and let me know what you all think.

I just picked the game up last night. You gotta run their junk hatchbacks to get some credits but you don't have to win a series to get an MX-5 like in Forza 2.

I made the same mods as John, but didn't mess with the setup. Ran 2:55's at Road America with a lot of offroading.

My screen name is the same on X-Box Live.

Anyone plan on playing on xbox live tonight? Send me a friend request or a game invite if there is a spec miata race going on.

GT: john5xracing

For those who don't have them here are the Forza 3 Spec Miata specifications that we are all using:

1994 Miata

Engine/Performance:

-Street Air Filter (1.8 litre SM Rules)
-Street Exhaust (catback per SCCA)
-Street Oil and Cooling (Upgraded radiators allowed in SM)
-Everything Else; Bone Stock

Suspension/Brakes/Chassis:

-Street Brake Upgrade
-Race Springs and Dampers (Spring Rates 700lb Front and 325lb rear; per Mazdaspeed Spec Miata suspension kit) Ride height unlimited.
-Roll Cage and Full Weight Reduction
-Everything Else Stock
-Camber/Caster/Damping Unlimited

Drivetrain:
-Street Clutch
-Everything Else Stock including rear diff (per SCCA rules)

Wheels and Tyres:
-Race Tread Compound
-15 inch wheels (Any type so long as your DI is 304)
-205/50r15
-Tyre Pressures Unlimited

Aero:
All Stock

The P.I. with this setup should end up being a D Class 304.

The following people are known to to race SM on Forza 3. Add one or more of the following to your friends list if you want to get in on the action:

JCruiza120
sambarnett
EastZ14Shooter
minirider1022
the Ls3

More info at: http://empirestateroadsters.net/showthread.php?t=285

Posted by racerfink (Member # 1886) on :

John, on the short course in a bone stock one, I was within half a second of the track record. The car definitely does not need power.

Was able to do mine up the other day. Just wish there was a way to get rid of that damn R spoiler and antenna...

-

Posted by Dennis Bize (Member # 16540) on :

Out of all the damn cars in the game, you guys are still racing miatas. I say forget this, let's start a spec 250 GTO series. Do I have to start my own forum for this?

Posted by TaxMan (Member # 546) on :

Pick up the game last night so add me to the list

RacingKiwi

Posted by Sean Allen (Member # 3800) on :

wow that picture looks real

Posted by Colin MacLean (Member # 1411) on :

That's really, really cool!

Brian,

How did you get the SARRC and SCCA stickers? Did you import that design from the computer??

I had a good time racing with you guys yesterday, we need to all find a good time to race with all of us. I said it earlier, but if you wanted to organize something as far as a series goes I would be happy to do something on the team portion of my website.

quote:
Originally posted by SamBarnett:
The following people are known to to race SM on Forza 3. Add one or more of the following to your friends list if you want to get in on the action:

JCruiza120
sambarnett
EastZ14Shooter
minirider1022
the Ls3

More info at: http://empirestateroadsters.net/showthread.php?t=285

What are the names behind the other gamertags?

sambarnett
JCruiza120
EastZ14Shooter
minirider1022
the Ls3
john5xracing: me (obviously)
racerfink: Brian Beasley

I played enough this weekend to move from "totally" sucks to just plain sucks. [Big Grin] I am glad I am at least a little bit better at this in real life!!

I would be up for a series. Someone has to finish last!

My gamertag is RacingKiwi

Posted by JIM DANIELS (Member # 15) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Bize:
Out of all the damn cars in the game, you guys are still racing miatas. I say forget this, let's start a spec 250 GTO series. Do I have to start my own forum for this?

There is no hope for us, save yourself!!

(but i do not recommend a forum frankly)

Posted by Trussell17t (Member # 3609) on :

keep me updated if you guys do any racing this week

my XBOX name is R00kieDriver

I've got those stickers on my 'storefront'. I made them both in the vinyl editor. The SARRC one isn't totally correct, just close enough that it looks good. I didn't do the cars, but used the helmet vinyl, and a checkered flag vinyl from the Racing Icons-1 instead. When you shrink it down to size, you can't really tell the difference anyways.

Almost forgot... I saved almost every race to replay, so hopefully I can get some footage of all the races up in one video on Youtube sometime soon.

Posted by gonracin (Member # 15557) on :

Noobie to virtual racing tho have some Grand tourismo experience from when my kid was little. Is it possible to just drive the line on various tracks without other cars around. I just do track days in my Supercharged Miata. No passing unless waved on. THinking of getting the Forza Bundle package with the seat, game etc.

Yes it is....Time Trail mode allows for this

Posted by AFRaptor22 (Member # 18653) on :

Add me to the list AFRaptor223

Posted by Team Cochran (Member # 835) on :

Forza 3 is on my Christmas wishlist!

Posted by YozoY (Member # 13987) on :

add me to the list GT: caesss

check out my ride
video http://www.yozoy.com/video/road-america-turns-48

photo http://www.yozoy.com/photo/turn-3-at-road-america

SCCA vinyls and set up are available in mystore for free.

I set up my car slightly different than the above set up although I could bring it up to "virtual spec" to keep up with the league [Smile]

I tried to stay as close as possible to real HP numbers so i have the stock air filter and exhaust. I don't think real toyos are technically "race" tires so I'm using the level below that which come up to temp a lot faster than the race tires.

for weight I also did the level below the full. That puts the car at the 2200's and HP at 125 or 135 i cant remember but that's very close.

I ran a 2:43 at Road America on a fairly clean lap. I used the Runoff's times as my benchmark.

Posted by Pat Newton (Member # 521) on :

Login required for photo/video viewing. Not going to happen. [Smile]

Posted by Drago (Member # 1406) on :

quote:
Originally posted by YozoY:

I ran a 2:43 at Road America on a fairly clean lap. I used the Runoff's times as my benchmark.

Even Gorarrian didn't do that! [Big Grin] I think fastest lap was Matt Pombo in full draft in good conditions 2:44.1, solo would have been mid to low 2:45
Jim

Posted by taylorf (Member # 1432) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:
Login required for photo/video viewing. Not going to happen. [Smile]

Ceasar is a good guy and his site doesnt send you spam.

Posted by Pat Newton (Member # 521) on :

quote:
Originally posted by taylorf:
Ceasar is a good guy and his site doesnt send you spam.

I have no doubt, I've never met an SM racer who's not a good guy/gal. [thumbsup] Still, I think asking people to register on your site just to view a photo of your Forza SM setup is a little much. To each his own though! [Smile]

Posted by Nigel Stu (Member # 5001) on :

AWESOME! I just picked up a Xbox and Forza 2/3. I had no idea that a SM could be built.

I think I know what I'm doing tonight! Once the car is built, I'll join up in the races.

Gamer tag: Nigel Stu

Posted by PedalFaster (Member # 13244) on :

Anyone willing to type out their setup numbers? Right now I'm having a heck of a time making the car turn even with 3 degrees of camber in front and less than 1 in back, although I admittedly haven't spent much time fiddling with the adjustments.

John A, I saw that you posted yours on your storefront, but as far as I can tell the seller's name doesn't appear on items for sale, so there's no way to distinguish your setup from the others that turn up when you search for "Spec Miata".

Stephen,

I will help you with the setup, I have it for download on my storefront labeled as "spec miata" and it says in the comments "real life spec miata setup from the 5x Racing Team". I can gift it to you as well, send me a friend request and message me afterwards letting me know what your gamertag is so I know it is you.

As far as what I did to set the car up, it was very close to the real thing. I purchased the parts that we would use: full race suspension to allow full adjustability, sport (non-adjustable) sway bars for the front and rear, roll cage, brake pads, etc... Just use everything we use on the real thing. When you get my setup it will ask if you want to install the necessary parts to accommodate the setup, so I would recommend buying a new miata (they're only $5000 or something) and installing my setup on the new one, this way it does not mess up your current miata.

So, for the numbers I basically did this:
Front springs = 750
Rear springs = 325
camber = 2 or 3 (I found this adjustment does nothing on the game)
toe = 0 or 1/16th out
rear toe = o or 1/16th in
caster = as much as possible (doesn't do much either)

And there's not much else to adjust except tire pressures, and that is up to you...

There is still debate on what to do with the engine mods and tire selection. Last time I raced with the guys we were using full race tires, but I suggested the dot race tires (middle upgrade) as our toyo's are really dot legal and not full slicks. Also, some guys installed the race exhaust and air filter, which I felt was making the car too fast. I suppose you can really just try and match up the weight and horsepower using the mods, try to get it as close as possible to the real thing. I was tuning my car to run realistic lap times (close to lap record pace, but make it hard to beat it) at Sebring, and got it real close with my setup.

I will help you more on xbox live, I don't want to write too much here. If anyone else want's my setup just friend request me and I will gift it to you.

my gamertag = john5xracing

Posted by Teamfour (Member # 6000) on :

Just got back from BB and got the game and wheel. Be joining y'all soon.

Posted by Jamie Tucker (Member # 14391) on :

I bought the game for my son (ha ha ha) for Christmas. He will be going to bed very early Christmas night.

Anyone want to schedule a race for this weekend?

I can't commit to anything, but if I happen to be free when a race is going on, I'd be willing to join in. My gamertag's Disintegration.

Posted by Dan Cooper (Member # 19413) on :

what Wheel are you guys using for XBOX?

Does the Logitech G25/27 work for XBOX?

Thanks

D

PS - DL'd John (5X Racing)'s setup and first flying lap was within .5 of my best at Laguna.

Good setup, give it a shot!

D

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Cooper:
what Wheel are you guys using for XBOX?

Does the Logitech G25/27 work for XBOX?

The Logitech wheels unfortunately don't work with the Xbox. I'm using the Microsoft wheel, as I imagine are most of the other people here.

I'm using the controller, no wheel at all.

Posted by Gatoratty (Member # 15983) on :

Gran Turismo 5 release date is Feb 2nd. I enjoyed Forza 3 and can't wait to try GT 5 with my G25 setup on the PS3.

quote:
Originally posted by racerfink:
I'm using the controller, no wheel at all.

Ditto on that, I was never able to get comfortable with the wheel.

On a side note, I built a 600 A class miata, used my sm setup and it is a great consistent car on small tracks. I got it within 3-4 seconds of the worlds best times on a couple of tracks.

I am up for an sm race saturday night, the later the better. Most of you are xbox live friends now, send me an invite if I am on there and we'll race.

John, I might just join you if I can get enough CR to install your mods. I got the setup from your storefront but can't buy the needed parts yet.

quote:
Originally posted by John A - 5x Racing:
What are the names behind the other gamertags?

sambarnett
JCruiza120
EastZ14Shooter
minirider1022
the Ls3
john5xracing: me (obviously)
racerfink: Brian Beasley

Add meowta to the list. Teamfour (Lee Tilton) on this forum.

Posted by Jonathan Christian (Member # 1557) on :

i should be on soon, waiting for the new hacked firmware so i can go back online
username is Smracer31

Saturday night race this weekend anyone?

I can race Saturday.

You may see me on, but Forza and my router don't get along. Depending on who is hosting the races I can/can't race. Stupid NAT settings, can't get it to open port 3074 for anything. What router are you guys using? Thinking about upgrading my Netgear, but not sure another will solve the problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Teamfour:
John, I might just join you if I can get enough CR to install your mods. I got the setup from your storefront but can't buy the needed parts yet.

Lee,

You gotta get racing! I will gift you a Miata all set up, I have tons of them anyways and plan on building one tonight that is exact (or close enough) to spec and am going to list the exact mods here on this post.

I am up for a late night race Friday and Saturday night, I will look for you all on there.

Thanks John. I just spent hours designing and applying vinyl groups so my car looks like the real one. I will wait for the mod list so I can mod my current car. Don't want to go through the vinyl thing again.

Ok, I got down to it and created an exact Spec Miata on Forza tonight. Here is how I built it and why I chose the parts I did. I suggest this is the car that we race for our spec series on the game as it is as close to the real thing as possible, regardless of the performance index number. So, these are the parts I installed starting from the "engine and power" category:

Engine and Power

Air Filter > Install the "Street Air Filter"

Exhaust > Install the "Street Exhaust"
Your new PI number should be F188 after these mods.

I installed these items because the stock horsepower of the Miata in the game is 127. I am assuming this is flywheel horsepower, and figuring that the best SM motors make 125-130 to the wheels, and I chose to add a couple of mods to try and equalize them (plus, the stock miata in the game is a little slower on lap times than a real sm on tracks I have compared them too) so if you add 10% to 127 to make up for driveline loss it makes the horsepower 139.7, and adding these modifications brings the horsepower to 139 (which might be what sm motors are making on an engine dyno without driveline loss). I don't know exactly how I figured this out, so if it sounds wacky just go with it.

Platform and Handling

Brakes > Install "Street Brakes"
Your new PI should be F189

Springs and Dampers > Install "Race Springs and Dampers"
This mod allows full adjustbility (needed to allow for the proper setup later)
Your new PI should be F193

Anti Roll Bars > Install "Sport front anti roll bars" and "Sport rear anti roll bars"
Your PI should remain F193

Chassis Reinforcement and Roll Cage > Install the "Race chassis reinforcement and roll cage"
Your new PI should be F197

Weight Reduction > install "sport weight reduction". I know this does not match up to what a real spec miata has parts wise, but look closely at the weight of your car with this mod, it is 2201. Add in the average (lighter than most of us) driver and this is just about right for a 94, which is 2350 if I remember correctly.

Drivetrain

Clutch > Install "sport clutch"
Your new PI should be E201

Tires and Rims

Go to "Rim Style" all the way to the right first, go to the Team Dynamics wheels and install > "Pro Race 1 or Pro Race 2 (Pro Race 2 is 3lbs lighter)

Front Rim Size > Upgrade the Front Rim Size to the first option to the right which will give you a 185/55/15 wheel (don't worry, the tire size will be 205-50-15 later)

Rear Rim Size > Do the same as the front

Front tire width > install the second option to the right which is "205-50-15"

Rear tire width > do the same as the front again

Tire compound > install the second tire choice to the right which is "sport tire compound" (these are DOT legal spec tires according to the description)

After all the mods your new PI should be E269 (sorry, forgot to document each PI increase)

Suspension Tuning

The only thing that needs to be spec here is the spring rates, which should be 700 in the front and 325 in the rear. The ride height, alignment, and tire pressures are open to your adjustments, just as in real life, and the only other adjustment that is available is the damping, which I suggest we leave alone to eliminate complications.

What do you all think? Let's try it out this weekend. If someone needs a spec car because they just got the game, us experienced guys with a lot of in game credit get together and build a couple of these cars to gift to our fellow racers.

Enjoy! Feedback and adjustments to this formula are always welcomed.

quote:
Thanks John. I just spent hours designing and applying vinyl groups so my car looks like the real one. I will wait for the mod list so I can mod my current car. Don't want to go through the vinyl thing again.

That's cool, but you can copy your designs to other cars, so you can basically use your design on any car you own in the game. Either way, the mod list is out and ready to go!

UPDATE!

I tested my new spec miata that I built while making this list and it is PERFECT! I am able to run right at the real life SM lap record at Sebring long pushing the car 10/10ths. Also, as a bonus the sm setup running that lap time was able to land me the 250th best time in the world leaderboards at Sebring long! So this car is serious, both as an sm and as an E class competitor, I am going to use it for all E class races in the future.

I think this is going to work guys, let me know what you think.

Sounds good to me, I'll build one and give the new setup a try.

I'm in for a race on Saturday -- just name a time and a track. I sent a bunch of you friend requests last week, and a few of you actually accepted. [Smile]

Posted by DaveCo (Member # 2711) on :

I'm with you guys add my gamer tag to your list and I'll race with ya. Sounds like a lot of fun!

"trackdogmiata"

Do we have a time, track, and/or spec in mind yet?

Let's all try John's spec. Can anyone do 5pm today?

5 p.m. Pacific would work, but I suspect you meant 5 p.m. Eastern. [Smile]

Counterproposal: 5 p.m. Pacific / 8 p.m. Eastern today at Road Atlanta. 11 laps, random grid order. John's spec, no assists allowed. Sound doable?

I am out and about christmas shopping, but can be on later. Maybe I can catch some of you left coasters on, I am friends with most of you on live so I'll search when I get on. I am a late night gamer most of the time, sorry if I missed the earlier races today.

All i need to complete my spec is a white Mazda logo. All the ones I've searched for in the storefront seem to be corrupt. Anyone got one they want to share?

D

Posted by DES4 (Member # 17253) on :

Hi all;

John sent me the series setup which I've put together as of this morning; if you are online anytime send me an invite. Tag is:

Cheeto23

I'll monitor this thread and try and keep up.

Dan: I've got a good Mazda script logo (it's black, but I can make it any color you'd like) that I can gift you, just send me a friend request.

Dave S

Given our inability to get a race going so far, maybe we should start planning a race a week out. [Smile] What do people think about 5 p.m. Pacific on Saturday, December 26th?

Newbie to xbox live here: how does one join a race?

Im going to get around to adding most of you on Live, so the random request from "doop07" is me...

D

cheeto, i sent you a request, if you could send me that logo, that would be awesome!

OK I added all on this thread to my friends list. So if you see a gamertag "meowta", that is me.

John, the only thing I'd add to the build is the diff. For us guys that don't run any of the assists, it's almost a necessity.

The Mazda logo on my rear qtr. panel in my avatar is the one on Cheeto23's storefront. If you buy it off his storefront, you can make it any color you want when you apply it to your car.

And here's the video of the Sebring race we did a few weeks back, that I finally got around to loading to YouTube. I cut it down to two laps, as I was just following my car for the video. If I have some spare time, I'll make some action vids. It takes a LOOOONG time to upload 30 sec. clips to the Forza site, then download them to your computer (one at a time!), then splice them together in Windows Movie Maker, then publish, then upload to YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hybRIRnpHXQ

quote:
John, the only thing I'd add to the build is the diff. For us guys that don't run any of the assists, it's almost a necessity.

The Mazda logo on my rear qtr. panel in my avatar is the one on Cheeto23's storefront. If you buy it off his storefront, you can make it any color you want when you apply it to your car.

And here's the video of the Sebring race we did a few weeks back, that I finally got around to loading to YouTube. I cut it down to two laps, as I was just following my car for the video. If I have some spare time, I'll make some action vids. It takes a LOOOONG time to upload 30 sec. clips to the Forza site, then download them to your computer (one at a time!), then splice them together in Windows Movie Maker, then publish, then upload to YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hybRIRnpHXQ

We don't run either upgrade diff in the Spec Miata series we're running at our forum, and although the format requires that all assists are off, no one seems to have any problems with it. Our spec, however, differs a bit; horsepower is lower (128) and weight higher (2318) with no adjustments available for the suspension (sport). This spec drives okay without the diff as well, IMO. But the point racerfink makes is a sound one...

The "Mazda" logo, or anything else on my storefront, is free to anyone I know or race with; just let me know and I'll gladly gift whatever you might need.

So; when and at what track is the upcoming race?

Posted by Blake Clements (Member # 1377) on :

I have Forza 3 and a car built to the original SM specs that Sam posted. I don't have Xbox Live or a dongle to hook it up to my wireless though! I'll work on it after the new year and might join you guys for a few events.

If you guys want to add the diff, then we can do it, I don't care really. I just tried to make the car as close to possible as the real thing, and for the 1994 you are only able to run the factory torsen, which is of course not adjustable like the one in the game. I was able to run lap record times with all the assists off at Sebring (Brian, I know you can too, since you are better than me!).

Whatever everyone wants as a group is fine by me.

I also think that some of the guys that are new to the game and not used to it should be allowed to run with the ABS on and in some cases the traction control too, as it is very hard to pick this game up and drive without the assists at first. Auto shifting is fine too, I am not too worried about parity here, as long as everyone is having a good time and able to keep up with the more experienced guys.

I'm playing with a controller, so I've found the traction control is almost a necessity to keep the car under control.

Blake

FWIW, I am using a wheel and have all assists turned off except for automatic shifting. It has taken me a while to keep from spinning, but just like the real thing seat time is all it takes.

BTW, why can't I adjust the sway bars?

Posted by EFoss28 (Member # 1207) on :

Just sent everyone friend requests... Someone has too many friends though [Smile] I like the setup, but think it is a little too fast. So far I am running -.8 camber front and rear and it seems pretty good, I may play with it a little later today if I get some more time.

Running sport suspension would be better to keep people from tuning the shocks. Taking away the air filter and exhaust might make the lap times more realistic, but I think the tracks are faster in the game.

Oh yeah if we could get rid of that Daniels ECU and had to shift at 6800 it might be more realistic too [Smile]

Blake I can't drive with the controller to save my life. The Fanatec wheel is supposed to be really good and it will work on PS3/PC/XBox360. I have the crappy MS Wheel and it is about time for an upgrade!

I can make it redline anywhere you want it bro..... [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by EFoss28:
Just sent everyone friend requests... Someone has too many friends though [Smile] I like the setup, but think it is a little too fast. So far I am running -.8 camber front and rear and it seems pretty good, I may play with it a little later today if I get some more time.

Running sport suspension would be better to keep people from tuning the shocks. Taking away the air filter and exhaust might make the lap times more realistic, but I think the tracks are faster in the game.

Oh yeah if we could get rid of that Daniels ECU and had to shift at 6800 it might be more realistic too [Smile]

Blake I can't drive with the controller to save my life. The Fanatec wheel is supposed to be really good and it will work on PS3/PC/XBox360. I have the crappy MS Wheel and it is about time for an upgrade!

I can make it redline anywhere you want it bro..... [Wink]

The car's perfectly driveable without an LSD upgrade - some of you just need to develop trigger discipline in the same way you've developed right foot discipline over the years. [Smile] (Or buy a wheel.)

Again, anyone interested in prearranging a race, say this Saturday? We haven't had much luck so far with a spontaneous gathering.

Posted by NV Racer (Member # 2658) on :

I tried no assists the other night it was interesting. Definitely would allow ABS. It is very easy to brake yourself right off the track. Traction control is not as important in a Miata but necessary for beginners in high power cars. I am going to add everyone as friends printed out all tags last night. My gamertag is "nvracer"

Dennis

The stock rear end for the car in the game is an OPEN diff, which is why the car is so unstable at 10/10ths. My hands cramp up pretty good from the amount of correcting I have to do on the joystick controller, especially at places like Road Atlanta coming through the esses (the exit mostly), and the last turn.

Only sissies race with the assists on! The game is a little unrealistic in that it will spin the tires mid corner if you stick your finger (or foot for those with a wheel)in it. The real thing won't rotate without putting the power down and rarely spins the wheels. Just my observation, but maybe I need one of JD's ECU's and a better motor [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by PedalFaster:
The car's perfectly driveable without an LSD upgrade - some of you just need to develop trigger discipline in the same way you've developed right foot discipline over the years. [Smile] (Or buy a wheel.)

Again, anyone interested in prearranging a race, say this Saturday? We haven't had much luck so far with a spontaneous gathering.

I'm up for this Saturday, if you can make it in the evening; perhaps sometime beyond 6:00 pm (eastern time)...?

Looking forward to trying this spec out.

quote:
FWIW, I am using a wheel and have all assists turned off except for automatic shifting. It has taken me a while to keep from spinning, but just like the real thing seat time is all it takes.

The sway bars are the sport versions, which are non-adjustable upgrades (mid level). Since we can only adjust the rear bar on 94's in real life I figured that was more applicable. Plus, the race sway bars are serious, they have incremental adjustments, not just "soft" "mid" or "hard".

If the general consensus with the diff is to add one, than cool. I feel as if the stock diff is perfectly adequate, and the race diffs will make the cars too fast as far as lap times go. Whatever everyone wants is fine by me, I can drive the car how it is pretty good, the diff will only make me faster [yep]

I am up for the sport suspension if people are cheating with their setups, and agree that removing the air filter and/or exhaust to slow up the cars a bit would dial it in closer to the real lap times. I agree that the tracks are a little faster in the game too, but hey, it's not bad for an xbox game!

I can do late night games most of the time on friday and saturday nights, I am usually busy with catching up from the week during the day on the weekends (or racing in sunny Florida where the season never ends). My "late" is usually 10 or 11 pm eastern until whenever, I work the midnight shift during the week so I stay up super late. I can most likely race this saturday night, as the christmas weekend will be quieter than usual that late.

Let me know! Add me on your friends list: john5xracing is my gamertag

Posted by weidspeed (Member # 14328) on :

I'm a total gamer newbie. My kids are awesome with their controllers, but I need a wheel for our XBox 360. What do you recommend?

quote:
Originally posted by weidspeed:
I need a wheel for our XBox 360. What do you recommend?

The Microsoft wheel. It's not great, but it's functional and not too expensive. The high-end option by Fanatec costs hundreds of dollars and has questionable availability (it was a limited edition and ships from Germany), and the cheaper non-Microsoft wheels are supposed to be pretty poor.

Edit: Full disclosure: I work for Microsoft, but am not speaking for the company in any official capacity.

I'd prefer a pre-midnight eastern night series. Weekdays or weekends are fine by me. Just tell me the car to build and when to show up.

Xbox Live Name: RacingKiwi

Looking through all the videos from those races we did a few weeks back, it seems the biggest problem everybody had was with the snap oversteer. And that was with slicks, remember?

If we allow the TCS and STM, all that does is do a much better job (and faster) at limiting wheelspin than the Sport or Race Limited slip can. And in stock form IN THE GAME, the Miata has an OPEN diff. That is to say, NO Ltd. slip properties.

I just ran a few trial laps in this particular spec (open diff), with no assists and using the controller; I find the car easily controlled, but my times may be suffering, as you really need to roll into the throttle easy to avoid oversteer when exiting the turns.

My vote would be to leave the diff open; it reacts like Spec Miatas I've driven. That isn't to say that those cars were right; I've very little real-world experience in these cars.

Having said that, I'm interested in racing/testing anytime this weekend, although it'd have to be evenings for me (eastern time).

I'll be on later tonight after I get off work.

John, my car came out to the right P.I., but the weight is at 2204. Typo?

quote:
quote:

The sway bars are the sport versions, which are non-adjustable upgrades (mid level). Since we can only adjust the rear bar on 94's in real life I figured that was more applicable. Plus, the race sway bars are serious, they have incremental adjustments, not just "soft" "mid" or "hard".

If the general consensus with the diff is to add one, than cool. I feel as if the stock diff is perfectly adequate, and the race diffs will make the cars too fast as far as lap times go. Whatever everyone wants is fine by me, I can drive the car how it is pretty good, the diff will only make me faster [yep]

I am up for the sport suspension if people are cheating with their setups, and agree that removing the air filter and/or exhaust to slow up the cars a bit would dial it in closer to the real lap times. I agree that the tracks are a little faster in the game too, but hey, it's not bad for an xbox game!

I can do late night games most of the time on friday and saturday nights, I am usually busy with catching up from the week during the day on the weekends (or racing in sunny Florida where the season never ends). My "late" is usually 10 or 11 pm eastern until whenever, I work the midnight shift during the week so I stay up super late. I can most likely race this saturday night, as the christmas weekend will be quieter than usual that late.

Let me know! Add me on your friends list: john5xracing is my gamertag

John add me to your list "caesss"

I'm in agreement with removing all engine upgrades. I also don't think that the diff makes that much difference but I'm game for anything. I would add that Clutch and Brakes upgrades really don't do much either in this setup. My votes is YES on the assists (TCS and ABS), the car does crazy things without them.

One thing I may suggest, is to have you guys play around with the Race Transmission the only reason I suggest that is because it allows you to set all the gear ratios. This could help with the issues of the weird shifting points that someone mentioned earlier. i don't think it does that much in terms of "speed performance" it just gets the car closer to the real thing.

not that I want to make it more complicated but I figured I'd throw it out there. Top speed for each gear is 38,57,79,109,1xx,xxx (I run a 90 w/a 4.3 diff so I'm not sure how accurate those might be)

Posted by Unsafe (Member # 1626) on :

Hey guys...built a 94 last night...graphics anyway (important part). Going to apply John's set up today.

I think I saw kiwi and fink on last night...everyone smoked me as I don't know the tracks.

I would submit that the oversteer problem is an xbox phenomena. Not that the sim isn't realistic, just missing the seat of the pants feedback that keeps your hands ahead of the back end of the car. Same applies for brake lock-up in the game.

Anyone have race scheduled?

gamertag: specracer70

quote:

Am guessing the difference is your wheel choice?

quote:
My votes is YES on the assists (TCS and ABS), the car does crazy things without them.

I still think you guys are doing something wrong. I'm driving on John A's setup (thanks John!), and it's really hard to get it upset unless you clobber a curb or refuse to lift in mid-tank-slapper, and failing those situations I rarely even have to countersteer.

I find that I can get carried away and start driving like I'm playing a game (going to zero and back again on brakes, gas, and steering) rather than like I'm actually driving a car (smooth inputs). Maybe you're suffering from the same malady, and that's what's causing the perceived handling problems?

quote:
Originally posted by Unsafe:
quote:

I've got the lighter of the two Team Dynamics wheels on, so it can't be that.

quote:
quote:
My votes is YES on the assists (TCS and ABS), the car does crazy things without them.

I still think you guys are doing something wrong. I'm driving on John A's setup (thanks John!), and it's really hard to get it upset unless you clobber a curb or refuse to lift in mid-tank-slapper, and failing those situations I rarely even have to countersteer.

I find that I can get carried away and start driving like I'm playing a game (going to zero and back again on brakes, gas, and steering) rather than like I'm actually driving a car (smooth inputs). Maybe you're suffering from the same malady, and that's what's causing the perceived handling problems?

In Forza 2, I was a top 200 driver overall, and had many times in the top 50 IN NON-LEADERBOARD CARS. When I get down to building cars in FM3, I suspect it'll be more of the same. Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

quote:
quote:
quote:

I've got the lighter of the two Team Dynamics wheels on, so it can't be that.
hmmm....I just built mine this morning (noob) and it came out right on weight and peformance...I think I am using a -15 wheel, although not TD, I found a better look with the same weight characteristics...will double check. In any event...3 lbs probably won't matter, althought it is unsprung weight and plus it gives us noobs a fighting chance!

Well, you have to run the Team Dynamics wheels, so I don't know what else it could be.

quote:
Hey guys...built a 94 last night...graphics anyway (important part). Going to apply John's set up today.

I think I saw kiwi and fink on last night...everyone smoked me as I don't know the tracks.

I would submit that the oversteer problem is an xbox phenomena. Not that the sim isn't realistic, just missing the seat of the pants feedback that keeps your hands ahead of the back end of the car. Same applies for brake lock-up in the game.

Anyone have race scheduled?

gamertag: specracer70

Mike - We obviously 'suck' the same cause we were right with each other in those races last night. I will probably be back on late tonight too if I can kick my son off the Xbox.

As far as a time for the race, lets just pick a time and grab as many as we can.

How about 9pm EST Saturday night. We use John's setup from above. If there is enough push back we can add the diff for the race next time?

Takers?

quote:
Originally posted by TaxMan:
How about 9pm EST Saturday night. We use John's setup from above. If there is enough push back we can add the diff for the race next time?

We haven't had much luck organizing a race so far, but I'm in for 9 p.m. Eastern on Saturday. We should decide on a track and also nominate someone to set up the room. I nominate you. [Smile]

I'm game for 9pm eastern Sat. I can host if needed.

I think we should stick to the original specs that I posted for now as to not cause confusion. Agree?

8 PM CENTRAL it is for me. How does this work. Never been invited to a race before.

BTW, I ran the original John5X setup WITH traction and stability control. A lot better than without.

Saturday at 8PM works for me...any idea what track we might do?

John's setup works great...I am running with no assists and not really having handling problems once you get the tuning right. The car will behave within the rules, just tire pressure, ride heights, camber, caster, toe and a bit of trail braking...just like real life...it works!

Is everyone comfortable with the John5x setup? If so should we set this as an official standard?

FYI in case you dont have it my xbox live ID is "sambarnett"

Drago will recognize this car. It's the same view he had from second place when we crossed the line at St. Louis, many moons ago. [Big Grin]

-

I vote Road America...

quote:
As far as a time for the race, lets just pick a time and grab as many as we can.

Takers?

I'm up for it. Please add me to your friend's list, if you haven't already (Cheeto23).

[ 12-24-2009, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: DES4 ]

Please send me an invite too: specracer70

+1 for John5X standard specs...

In case you don't have it. Here is the "official" John5x car build for Forza 3:

Start with a stock 1994 Miata.

Engine and Power

Air Filter > Install the "Street Air Filter"

Exhaust > Install the "Street Exhaust"
Your new PI number should be F188 after these mods.

Platform and Handling

Brakes > Install "Street Brakes"
Your new PI should be F189

Springs and Dampers > Install "Race Springs and Dampers"
This mod allows full adjustbility (needed to allow for the proper setup later)
Your new PI should be F193

Anti Roll Bars > Install "Sport front anti roll bars" and "Sport rear anti roll bars"
Your PI should remain F193

Chassis Reinforcement and Roll Cage > Install the "Race chassis reinforcement and roll cage"
Your new PI should be F197

Weight Reduction > install "sport weight reduction".

Drivetrain

Clutch > Install "sport clutch"
Your new PI should be E201

Tires and Rims

Go to "Rim Style" all the way to the right first, go to the Team Dynamics wheels and install > "Pro Race 1 or Pro Race 2 (Pro Race 2 is 3lbs lighter)

Front Rim Size > Upgrade the Front Rim Size to the first option to the right which will give you a 185/55/15 wheel (don't worry, the tire size will be 205-50-15 later)

Rear Rim Size > Do the same as the front

Front tire width > install the second option to the right which is "205-50-15"

Rear tire width > do the same as the front again

Tire compound > install the second tire choice to the right which is "sport tire compound" (these are DOT legal spec tires according to the description)

After all the mods your new PI should be E269

[ 12-24-2009, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: SamBarnett ]

quote:

Brian,

That could be a difference in wheels or perhaps the tire widths, clutch, etc... I used the Pro Race 2 team dynamics wheels in my build, which are two pounds lighter than the PR1's. I am not worried about you being 2 pounds heavier, the slower you are the better everyone else's chances are!

If you are really worried about finding the two pounds just go through all the mods and make sure they all match. You know what you're doing, I am sure you'll find it.

I will try and be on from the 6pm window until whenever on Saturday night, I will look for fellow racers and join in. Although, if we all race at the same time we will need two lobbies going, there can only be 8 racers in one race.

For all that are new to xbox live play, here is how to find us on there:

Turn on xbox with Forza 3 disc inserted

sign into xbox live (might be automatic sign in already)

Press the "X ball button" in the center top of your controller (looks like a silver ball with a green x through it)

This will bring up a menu with tabs, choose "friends" and see if any of us are playing the game online

If we are, press the "a" button on our name and choose "join game" or "join private chat"

If you're already playing online with everyone, and want to invite someone, do the same except choose "invite to game"

Hope we can get a race going this saturday! If anyone ever see's me on there playing Forza, just invite me to a private chat and we can setup a race. Also, thanks for the thanks about the setup. I am sure some of you can tweak it using the alignment, tire, and ride height settings beyond my basic setup. I left everything except the spring rates default, I plan to do some testing this weekend and will put my best setup for sale on my storefront (secrets cost money!). I encourage everyone to do the same, it will be interesting what people come up with for different tracks.

3 of us are racing right now if anyone wants to join.

I modified my gamertag to "NV Racer" from "nvracer" Makes my tag more visible online.

Dennis

Cheeto 23 and racerfink (me) are on right now practicing

What kind of lap times are folks running at Road America? The best I have so far is 2:47. I never really driven the track.

BTW, here is a cool little platform I made for my wheel. It has cups screwed to the bottom that fit into the cupholders on my theater chair. It is nice racing on a 65" screen.

-

quote:
[QB] What kind of lap times are folks running at Road America? The best I have so far is 2:47. I never really driven the track.

I gave it a shot; my times ran in the 2:39.xxx range. Keep in mind that I have been messing with online racers quite a few years.

From what I had seen on your leaderboard time, you're using traction control and automatic trans. Both will slow you down considerably; I'd recommend learning the game without any assists as they only cost you time.

If you're interested in getting in some online practice, send me an invite any time you see me on Xbox live.

DES4, thanks for the comments. I have never played online games before...well except backgammon and poker. [Wink]

Also, what viewpoint do most of you use: in-car or the default view?

Posted by Jose Bonet (Member # 2829) on :

please add me to your frinds list. my tag is "sm79"
thanks

What do people think about having longer races? Most people run three lap races online, but I think it would be fun to run a more realistic twenty or thirty minute race.

Stephen,
From what I have seen of your rear bumper, 20 or 30 minutes should be enough time for you to lap me!

Longer races are fine with me...I just need more practice! Heading to the "man cave" now to do just that.

specracer70

I was thinking tonight at 9pm Eastern we could do a number of short races and then cap off the night with a 30 minute race. Sound good?

Rules, join instructions and race schedule are now posted at:

www.barnettmotorsports.com/Forza3SM

While we're proposing rules -- what would people think about limiting races to a relatively small number of prespecified tracks? That would allow people to spend a few minutes learning the tracks beforehand.

Road Atlanta, Road America, Sebring, and Laguna Seca seem to be popular anyway, so maybe those four?

Sounds like we're close to having critical mass -- the following people have said they'll join in tonight:

TaxMan / RacingKiwi
PedalFaster / Disintegration
SamBarnett / sambarnett
Teamfour / meowta
Unsafe / specracer70
DES4 / Cheeto23
John A - 5x Racing / john5xracing
racerfink / racerfink
Jonathan Christian / smracer31

Given that:
quote:
if we all race at the same time we will need two lobbies going, there can only be 8 racers in one race.
Yep -- I'm not sure what the experience is if a room's full, but if people try to join races in progress and aren't allowed in, I suggest trying to join the sessions that the other people on the list above are in. We'll have to have two groups if more than eight people show up.

[ 12-26-2009, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: PedalFaster ]

I generally would prefer shorter races. Not three laps short but around 15minutes. I would also like to see us limit the tracks we run any particular weekend. In a real car I pick up a new track rather fast, in the online world it is taking me for ever to get up to speed on even the tracks I already know (Sebring, RdAtl)

I think limiting it to a certain number of predetermined tracks is good. As a matter of fact why don't we just have a race schedule and have both rooms follow it. An idea is as follows:

Road Atlanta - 3 lap warm up race then 15 minute race for points
America - 3 lap warm up race then 15 minute race for points
Sebring - 3 lap warm up race then 15 minute race for points
Laguna Seca - 3 lap warm up race then 30 minute race for points

Once we get this really organized and going weekly etc. we could use the early races to set a qualifying grid and the top 8 people from all rooms would be the ones to race in the 30 minute race.

quote:
Originally posted by Jose Bonet:
please add me to your frinds list. my tag is "sm79"

Can you double check that? I just tried adding you, and it says "The gamertag you entered does not exist on Xbox LIVE."

quote:
Stephen,
From what I have seen of your rear bumper, 20 or 30 minutes should be enough time for you to lap me!

Are you running with any of the assists? I noticed that I was crushing you off of the line. Launching a low power RWD car is the easiest thing in the world in the game -- just floor the gas before the green flag drops, and don't lift. [Smile] Running with the traction control on will kill your launch, just as it does in real life.

I plan on being there as well!

I don't see anything on the rules page about race settings. Are we going to run the damage/tire wear/fuel? It's unfortunate that they're tied together in FM3. In FM2, you could change the damage and the fuel/tire wear seperately.

Also, the "Timed" race feature doesn't work like it's supposed to. If you run a race to finish as a times event, the race ENDS when the timer runs out, regardless of where the leader is on the track. And if you started eigth, and finish on the bumper of the guy in first, the computer sees your time on track as being shorter, so it awards you first.

And, lastly, are we going to allow the manual w/clutch? Running w/clutch is like taking the restrictor plate out. But I don't see a provision in the game settings to run manual, but not allow manual w/clutch.

Cosmetic damage only, no tire wear, no fuel.

Manual w/out clutch is required.

Will select number of laps that will put us as close to 15 mins as possible for each track, not use timed race feature.

Hell yeah, this is getting good!! Big thanks to Sam for setting up that page, that was a good idea and should be good for keeping track of things.

I like the 9pm eastern time slot, I will have to shoo the family out of here before then [Smash]

Edited the roll call post -- if everyone shows up, we're at capacity for the first room.

No skin off my back either way, but I don't think we should ban automatics -- they're slower, so if someone is brand new and really wants to run one, I don't feel the need to stop them.

i will be on tonight, smracer31

quote:

No skin off my back either way, but I don't think we should ban automatics -- they're slower, so if someone is brand new and really wants to run one, I don't feel the need to stop them.

I like that idea. I haven't tried manual shift yet so I'm sure I would be lost using it.

Automatic turned on is a Handicap the "FAST" guys should have to run it also. To give us newbies to gaming a chance. [tipsy]

Dennis

Automatics will be permitted tonight. We'll discuss in more detail later. If they are determined to be faster we will eventually have to ban them.

Anyone interested in organized practice at 8 or 8:30pm EST?

I am going to try to get in early tonight. Bought the son DJ Hero for Christmas and I haven't been able to get on the Xbox to practice.

I have been running the auto but will try manual tonight. With or without, the fast guys won't see me except at the start. [Smile]

Automatics are definitely slower. Not as big a gap from auto to manual as there is from manual to manual with clutch, but it's still slower. The automatic will kick down into 2nd in several places where 3rd is just fine, and it will go into fourth in a few places where stretching third will work. Going up the hill at Laguna Seca especially

Should I be worried that, three and a half hours before we decided to race, no fewer than three of you are already in the game tuning or practicing? [Big Grin]

Just finished practicing with the manual tranny. Faster, but not to the point where I will be any good. [Wink]

Posted by Tyler Dahl (Member # 3580) on :

Alright, I just built a car and i'll be getting online in a little bit, i'll figure out a name when I get setup.

Looks like SM may be the most popular road racing class in the virtual world, in addition to real life. [thumbsup]

quote:
Should I be worried that, three and a half hours before we decided to race, no fewer than three of you are already in the game tuning or practicing? [Big Grin]

Since we decided to make Laguna the 30 minute track tonight, I thought I should practice enough to get around it once without flying into the desert or pulling a Whitis in the corkscrew. 30 minutes is a long time for me not to hit a tire wall!

I have my laptop next to me just in case anyone is having trouble getting on tonight. Post a message and we will try to reach out. Also, Sam posted his phone number above.

Good luck all!

Posted by suck fumes (Member # 1661) on :

I'm signing up on xbox live Sunday evening. Already have the spec miata built. Who's up for a race Sunday around 7:30pm central time.

I need to get back to where my xbox is!!!! and then practice with the manual!

Is there a way to desensitize the brake trigger? I'm getting used to it in time trial mode, but tend to press a little too far and lose ability to modulate in the heat of traffic....

That was a kick in the butt. I need LOTS of practice. Thanks for allowing me to participate.

I need lots of practice. Fabricated a wheel stand this afternoon. Shifting is much easier with the wheel but car control is a different matter. Spent most the session tonight recovering from tank slappers. Tried to stay out of everyones way really needed a big orange sticker on my back bumper. [Smile] Going to do some fine tuning on the stand and play with the control setting and get lots of practice before the next get together.

Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel Stu:
I need to get back to where my xbox is!!!! and then practice with the manual!

Is there a way to desensitize the brake trigger? I'm getting used to it in time trial mode, but tend to press a little too far and lose ability to modulate in the heat of traffic....

From the main menu, go to My Profile. Highlight that and press A. Go to Controller, highlight that and press A. Then, press X for Advanced, and set your deadzones.

I went through my settings, the deadzones on the wheel were all wrong and the car setup defaulted back to stock. It was a miracle I even stay on the track. Handling is 100% better. I am now turning laps comparable to my actual real life lap times.

Dennis

Posted by autobahn usa (Member # 13346) on :

hi guys i built a miata with sams specs but i am a novice and wonder if we need to have a novice group? it sounds like you x-box pros will leave us new guys far behind.i tried the manuel shift no clutch it was great fun but i am faster with auto. well back to my practice. hi sam. i go by spec larry.

quote:
Originally posted by NV Racer:
I need lots of practice. Fabricated a wheel stand this afternoon. Shifting is much easier with the wheel but car control is a different matter. Spent most the session tonight recovering from tank slappers. Tried to stay out of everyones way really needed a big orange sticker on my back bumper. [Smile]

Thanks for being there Dennis. It kept me from running last (meowta). [Wink] I suffered from the same malady, loss of control with the wheel. I will have to make adjustments. Also, I have never driven any of the tracks we were at, and only have a total of four races in real life. Still, it was a blast.

quote:
Originally posted by autobahn usa:
hi guys i built a miata with sams specs but i am a novice and wonder if we need to have a novice group? it sounds like you x-box pros will leave us new guys far behind.i tried the manuel shift no clutch it was great fun but i am faster with auto. well back to my practice. hi sam. i go by spec larry.

The car with Sam's 1st specs is on slicks and weighs 2000lbs. We're using John's specs.

i did use johns specs it was on sams post. see why i need a novice class.

Last night was fun until I got kicked off or something. I need to practice alot more and figure out my mic. Sorry to the three guys I bumped, real people are different then the game AI.

utracer70

Great racing last night. I had a great time. I hope everyone else did as well.

Larry, looking forward to having you join us!

I can't race next weekend because I will be out of town, is anyone interested in racing tonight?

If you guys want to race at a scheduled time next week let me know when you want to do it and I'll put it up at http://www.barnettmotorsports.com/Forza3SM

I'd be in for tonight -- I should free up a bit after six Pacific (nine Eastern).

couldnt get on in time to join you guys, are we doing free for all on the setup changes allowed, springs, caster, camber, toe etc. ?

The springs HAVE to be 700.0 front and 325.0 rear. Ride Height, Caster, Camber, Air Pressure, Toe and Shocks are free.

Does anyone have the ability to make a Race Engineering decal in Forza 3? I'm not artistic enough but I'd love to have some on my car.

I'll try to make one, I just got the game yesterday so it might take alittle practice.

Well who lost last night?

All I can say is Drago must have built Racerfink's car because he is damn fast, especially at Sebring Hell of a driver.

Did anyone write down all the results? I asked someone to do it but I know we had a lot of echo problems last night.

I lost my connection in the Sebring race. I think I finished 3rd twice and 2nd once. We are going to need to have multiple hosts for the next race because we have over 8 people which is all a room can hold.

I'd set up some sort of sign up system and then assign a room leader. I'd like to set up a points system eventually and also do qualifying for the races if possible. The top 8 of all the rooms can compete for the final race.

I'll be on at 8:30pm eastern tonight if anyone wants to race.

Here's a video of a Forza 3 Spec Miata race that another group is doing. It's worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl018rHiq4M

I saved a few of the races, and they save the lap times on them. Some are from the room I was hosting, and some are from the room you were hosting.

I'm gonna try to make some videos to post to youtube, but it's gonna have to be after the basketball tourney I have for the next three days.

If that video is by 11Reynard11, that's the spec miata series that Cheeto23 is running over at GTXF.net (youtube is blocked here at work, so I can't see it right now).

A little less power, and it's using the Sport suspension. I think the PI is E229.

And all my cars are Jeffy Boy Specials! [Wink] I've been going to Sebring since 1988, and racing there since 1991!

I've got a few videos up on my storefront from the old specs we were using at the first of the month, if anybody wants to watch those.

Anyone want to paint me a car? I'm terrible at it!

Anyone want to drive a car for me? I'm terrible at it... lol

quote:
Anyone want to drive a car for me? I'm terrible at it... lol

[Big Grin]

If you have some pics of your car, I can paint it and send you the file

Well I just now got it all set up. So I obviously didn't make it at 7:30. My tag name is "suckfumes". So add me to you guys friends list.

Posted by whoahstu (Member # 19822) on :

Hey, I had a great time running with you guys tonight. Thanks for the invite Sam.

XBL Gamertag: WhoahstU

You want something like this? Or you want something newer? Granted, this is as far as I got with this one so far.

-

quote:
You want something like this? Or you want something newer? Granted, this is as far as I got with this one so far.

Whoa! Thats awesome. I'll use that one to be nostalgic. [Smile]

Thanks and Gig 'Em.

About the only thing left to do is the Phillips Race Prep and SPInduction decals on the doors. I may try cleaning up the nose too, so that the line between the silver (yeah, it almost looks white in the pic) and the red is curved instead of straight. Just send me a friend request- racerfink. It may take a few days for me to finish it up, cause I've got a basketball tourney I'm running and coaching a team in till Wednesday.

As bad as I was, I am almost glad my DSL provider decided I didn't need an internet connection anymore.

Anyone feel like gifting me a setup that doesn't snap oversteer every corner? The more I try to fix the problem, the worse I make it.

I'm game for next week, I'd like to be in the 'slow' room though!

Are you hitting the curbs? The game's physics engine is really unforgiving of aggressive power application while on a curb.

quote:
As bad as I was, I am almost glad my DSL provider decided I didn't need an internet connection anymore.

Anyone feel like gifting me a setup that doesn't snap oversteer every corner? The more I try to fix the problem, the worse I make it.

I'm game for next week, I'd like to be in the 'slow' room though!

Gary,

I'll gift you a setup that is tighter than normal next time I am able to turn on the xbox. Things just got real busy around here, but I am going to plan for this Saturday night again @ 9pm.

Curbs will kill you, especially at Sebring. If you hit one mid corner your going to start spinning.

quote:
The springs HAVE to be 700.0 front and 325.0 rear. Ride Height, Caster, Camber, Air Pressure, Toe and Shocks are free.

Shocks?? I was under the assumption we were leaving the settings the way they came on the Race suspension upgrade. Bound and Rebound settings are a bit tricky, does anyone know what these are on the Bilsteins? I would be interested to try out the realistic specs on shocks.

I'll be on again tonight if anyone wants to race later

quote:
Originally posted by suck fumes:
My tag name is "suckfumes". So add me to you guys friends list.

I couldn't get that to work, but "suck fumes" worked. Maybe you forgot the space?

quote:
quote:

Shocks?? I was under the assumption we were leaving the settings the way they came on the Race suspension upgrade. Bound and Rebound settings are a bit tricky, does anyone know what these are on the Bilsteins? I would be interested to try out the realistic specs on shocks.
That's what I went for on my shock settings. My car is very under-damped. That's why my front wheels cleared the ground the one time through 17 at Sebring when I caught THE bump wrong.

Gary, I'll send you my setup this morning... see you online

quote:
Curbs will kill you, especially at Sebring. If you hit one mid corner your going to start spinning.

I've been hitting curbs, walls, gravel traps, other cars (sorry Specracer70) anything else that gets in my way. Good news is that I've become really good at drifting my car through every corner so I might have to give up on the racing and move to the drifting part of the game!!

It was so bad that I might have to go to Sebring for the National next weekend just to get my confidence back.

HELP! what do you do to fix oversteer jose is not only one with this problem.

To fix oversteer, you need to be less liberal with the throttle. If your smooth and roll off the brakes as you turn in and slowly feed in throttle you won't oversteer. Smooth is the key, I still don't have it down yet, but when you get it right the car handles great. The real problem is that your butt isn't attached to the car [Smile] its not the setup. I'm running -3 camber all around and 32 psi.

anyone setting up a race this week?

Just as in real life, the car's also much more stable when you take corners on throttle versus lifting in mid-corner. If you tune that out, I suspect the car will push like there's no tomorrow most of the time.

I can join tonight anytime after 8PM EDT.

"SM79"

Jose and Larry,

run camber -.8 front and rear and 6.0 caster

ALL else stock and car is good!

Laps times with this setup.

Mazda Raceway: 1:41.239
Sebring Full: 2:34.616
Road America: 2:38.355
Road Atlanta: 1:38.714

No Assists
Manual+Clutch for shifting

You can watch replays for any laps that are in the top 300, Road America may disappear soon its 298

My gamer tag is EFoss1228

Eric, huge thanks. Much faster now.

quote:
Eric, huge thanks. Much faster now.

...got to go try it now! I guess I will put off starting a pulitzer-prize-winning-novel for one more night. Xbox calling!

I'm up for some online racing/coaching tonight if anyone wants to join up. That means you Asselta [Smile]

I'm getting there...got a sudden PR curveball tossed at us.

This is as accurate as I can get with my limited graphic skils [Smile]
 -  -

quote:
Originally posted by EFoss28:

-

This is the only view any of us got of your car anyway. [fight]

those pictures eric are great! its amazing what you can do on x-box. right now last fm is on and its great. try it. jose my tag is spec larry

Image of my car. Pretty accurate.

-

quote:
Does anyone have the ability to make a Race Engineering decal in Forza 3? I'm not artistic enough but I'd love to have some on my car.

Gifted one to you.

Thanks for the help guys.
DES4 whats your gamertag?
Eric, the car looks great just like i remember it last time i was at RA.

Nice job on the graphics Lee and Eric...

I was trying to bang out some laps last night with setup changes, but must admit I am still chasing that 1:38 at Road Atlanta by a wide margin.

Just to clarify a dodgy little post from a few days back...is everyone leaving their shock damping rates alone, or are people playing with these?????? We need to decide what the group is doing.

Maybe someone smarter than me can put it to a poll?

Can't police the shocks or damping, but I say, leave them as prescribed....700 in front, 325* in back and all else untouched.

*corrected

[ 12-31-2009, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Unsafe ]

Haven't figured out how to post a photo yet. Here's what my car looks like.

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/game/gallery/detail/default.htm?photoid=4284895

DES4's gamertag is Cheeto23.

And those times that Eric set are with the Manual/w clutch. It's MUCH faster than just manual trans.

The rear spring rate is 325, not 350.

Foss, do you think you can post your fast times in manual w/out clutch configuration so we can have some sort of benchmark?

I raced everyone the other night and I found the clutch to be worth about a second on lap time... I was struggling most with the braking though. I would say clutch is worth .5 per lap for acceleration.

Mike Saferacer car coming soon [Smile] I have it done, but with ugly SAFERACER graphics I downloaded from someone online [Smile] I will make some better ones and post them...

Also, I made the Tim Buck for President stickers from the Runoffs 08 they are on my storefront [Smile]

Eric
What do you mean teh clutch is worth 1 second a lap? Like vs auto? You know I am no sim racer [Smile]

There are three modes to Forza:

Automatic- the game does everything

Manual- you shift but the game cuts throttle on upshifts and blips or doesn't lock the rears on downshifts.

Manual+Clutch- you have to push a button for the clutch when you shift up or down. The game will not cut throttle on upshifts and you have to blip on downshifts.

Everytime there's an upshift, the clutch is worth 2 car lengths vs. manual without the clutch. And that's just on the shift itself. Clutch users don't lose speed on the shift either, so the trap speed is higher. As much as 12mph higher at the end of the front straight on Road America. A guy using the clutch vs. someone who isn't can break the draft and pull away.

I havn't seen any difference on downshifts.

Eric/Fink - thanks for the advice on the clutch...got to learn that now.

Eric - can't wait to see the new car!

Sam and John have already said they don't want anybody to use the clutch in our races. It's not very easy to do with the controller. Especially while braking.

I will have to try the clutch for my single player season racing if it is that much faster, I imagine my leaderboard times will be better once I get used to it.

I would suggest we just keep one spec, whether it be with the clutch, or without it. I will learn how to use it if we want it, but I think we are better off allowing just the semi manual and auto for the guys who are new to online racing. Once everyone gets really good maybe we can look into it again.

So, what are we doing with the shock damping? I searched the web briefly for the specifications on our shocks and could not find any numbers, does anyone know what the bound/rebound is on them? If we can narrow in on a spec number that would be great. I can mess with tuning them to the spring rates this weekend (maybe).

OR, we can just make it easy and open up the damping settings to adjustment.

Thanks for the setup Jose. It was a much better. I was actually able to get around the track.

If we open up settings I will have to find someone to trackside my car. I wonder if OPM provides that service.

GT: JimD76

Mike I made you a car, but I can't gift it [Frown] I will have to make the Mazda, Mazdaspeed and SCCA stickers from scratch before it will let me. Here are some pics of it and the 28 [Smile]
 -  -  -

[yep] [yep] [yep] [yep] [yep] [yep] [yep]

WOW!!!! Eric, I am speechless! These are unbelievable!

Posted by Gatoratty (Member # 15983) on :

Are you guys doing this on Forza 3 or Photoshop!!! Those are awesome graphics. [thumbsup]

Posted by gwaronlawn (Member # 13798) on :

So is there no actual clutch pedal for Forza? Can't you use the Logitech G25 setup with the game? I'm trying to figure out if I should invest in an Xbox, or go the iRacing route. What's the general feeling of driveability with the MSFT steering wheel, pedal setup?

So are we on for tomorrow night at 9pm EST?

Do we need a password or keyword to find your room?

Also, the G25 doesnt work on the Xbox, just PC and PS2/PS3

ANd Eric, is the iRacing decal availble to buy online?

quote:
Originally posted by gwaronlawn:
So is there no actual clutch pedal for Forza? Can't you use the Logitech G25 setup with the game?

The Microsoft wheel doesn't have a clutch pedal. Like Trussell17t said, the G25 doesn't work with the Xbox; the Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S wheel does and has a clutch pedal, but it's pricey.

Eric, I gifted you the MAZDA logo that Cheeto gifted me, and I gifted you the SCCA Club Racing decal that I made.

There's a pretty good Texas Flag inside the state outline on MazeltovKoktail's storefront. The File Name for that is Texas B Line. Type that in the search, and you should find it. Goes well next to the driver name. He also has a Texas license plate on there as well.

I'm up for a few tonight; send me an invite if you find you need a vacant spot filled.

Gamertag is "Cheeto23" to anyone that doesn't already have it; I'll open up room on my Friends' List for players on this forum.

Gonna go watch one of the girls that graduated for me play basketball today. Don't know what time I'll be back, but I'll see what I can do.

quote:
[yep] [yep] [yep] [yep] [yep] [yep] [yep]

WOW!!!! Eric, I am speechless! These are unbelievable!

Is actually much easier in game then for real, no air bubbles.... [Wink]

GT JimD76 if yall have room tonight.

Will try to be on for 9PM EST session.

Specracer70

I'm in for tonight.

Posted by Steve Johnson (Member # 593) on :

Eric, looks good. One problem with Unsafe's car, that front fender is WAY too straight.

What tracks are on slate for tonight?

Posted by TKraft (Member # 672) on :

Johnson, It looks like you coming out of the porta john on pit lane.

[rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin] [rolling on floor laughin]

my car
 -

Posted by B Wilson (Member # 606) on :

I'm in, but like at the 25, I'll be driving with a broken hand. At least this time I'll be in a cast [Smile] That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it...

Gamertag: jorwil

-BW

Nice car John...what's your gamertag?

Can anyone paint me this car? No idea how to do it? Dont forget the saferarcer Nationalracing series sticker [Big Grin]
The #'2, Mazda and Toyo are all supposed to be silver with Black outline, not green
xbox name is Slimprego
Jim

-

-

Jim,
I will take a stab at this for you.

Can't put graphics on the windows though, and if you get a better offer, I will understand. There are better artists out there than me.

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
I'm in, but like at the 25, I'll be driving with a broken hand. At least this time I'll be in a cast [Smile] That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it...

Gamertag: jorwil

-BW

Great [Roll Eyes] I finally find someone I can keep up with and than you tell me you are driving with a broken arm [Wink] It was Lots of fun while it lasted last night getting better every session just like my rookie season in SM.

Dennis

Posted by B Wilson (Member # 606) on :

Had a lot of fun Dennis. Hoping I can get a bit of practice before too long. I certainly need the track time.

For those of you thinking of joining in the fun, everyone was very helpful and tolerated newbies well.

Hints: get a microphone, as it helps if you spot for the guy your trying to pass. Online play seems a little jumpy so you got to give a lot of room. The tracks to practice up on are Road Atlanta, Road America, Sebring long, and Laguna Seca.

-bw
typing with a cast on is harder than racing with a cast!!!

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
Online play seems a little jumpy so you got to give a lot of room.

It's actually pretty smooth most of the time, but if someone's on a slow or laggy internet connection, that'll cause them to jump around the screen. I've gone two and three abreast into turns with people with good connections and lived to see the other side. [Smile]

You guys interested in racing Saturday 1/9/09 9:00pm eastern?

I can't make this weekend but will be on more during the week since my son has headed back to college and given me unfettered access to the xBox again!

i'll join in this weekend sometime. still working on the primo setup...been using the data they have on there in test sessions, it def helps.

i still dont think an E269 miata is a fully built car.....cause we still need the cage, weight reduction, coils and plugs, not just the NGK plugs by themselves, that adds up to D310 ish or so.

I'm tentatively in for this Saturday.

quote:
i still dont think an E269 miata is a fully built car.....cause we still need the cage, weight reduction, coils and plugs, not just the NGK plugs by themselves, that adds up to D310 ish or so.

John explained a few pages back that the goal wasn't to exactly replicate a real SM's equipment, but rather to build a car that's about as fast as a real SM in the game. Feedback I've heard is that the E269 spec is still a bit faster than a real SM is.

im on right now, a couple of you are on in Season Play, anyone sitting around and want to get an impromptu race going? or practice laps?

PS - This will be the first one i will have joined in on, how do i do it? haha

Thanks guys

btw GT = doop07

I'm in for trying my hand at this online racing bit.

And Dan, look for Nigel Stu this week. I'll probably be on tonight and tomorrow night at some point.

Sam/John - could one of you guys list out all the gamer tags in one post? may make it easier for everyone to get all the names in there. OR - better yet, can we get a 'Forza racing' topic set-up on this forum?????????? (instead of the general SMulators one). Or just sticky the rules, gamertag list in separate posts..

---> smracer31

hey Ben, i didnt ignore it i just didnt know who it was cuz i havnt looked at this in a day or 2...next time im on ill add you, lets get some practice laps in.

quote:

The cage is installed within these specs.

As Stephen said, the spec was a mix between what we really use on our cars and getting it somewhere close in lap times compared to real lap records on the tracks that are similar. If we match the mods to what we really have the cars would blow away the lap records, not even close. Most of these guys are already faster than the lap records with these specs, if anything the cars should be slowed down to obtain real life times.

Also, with a E269 rating it makes the car competitive in the E class during season play and general online play. This allows you to use your spec miata for progressing through your season and to embarrass guys online using maxed out E275 VW GTI's. I have been campaigning my SM in online play and doing fairly well with it on tracks without long straits, and getting plenty of practice in the mean time...

It seems to work, so far everyone has agreed. If we decide to change the spec it is going to have to be a group decision. We can always create an S class miata for spec races if we want to run faster?

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel Stu:
Sam/John - could one of you guys list out all the gamer tags in one post? may make it easier for everyone to get all the names in there. OR - better yet, can we get a 'Forza racing' topic set-up on this forum?????????? (instead of the general SMulators one). Or just sticky the rules, gamertag list in separate posts..

Sam has a webpage setup for the specs, maybe he can list the gamertags of the racers on that page: Sam's Forza 3 page

I will go through my friends list and report my findings here when I get back on there (hopefully soon, I have a real race this weekend).

Hey, for a S class, what about making the TurboSM that has been talked about on these forums?????

Basically add on the turbo, full race weight reduction, slicks, race clutch, LSD, etc.

Dang Eric, 2:35 at RA????

I'm on almost every single night. It's just gonna be late tonight. My daughter has a basketball game at FGCU this afternoon, then I'll be watching the BCS Natl Champ. Hopefully Alabama will take care of things early, and I can be online during the fourth qtr.

In the "Conversions" section of the upgrades, is a Rotary motor for the Miata. Drop in a turbo'ed 13b, light the fuse, and stand back! [Eek!]

And Eric's 2:35 at RA was with the clutch option, which is apparantly worth close to three secs. a lap when used correctly. But the clutch is not allowed in this series.

I posted all the gamertags from this thread to the website. If you want to be added (or removed) please PM me.

Forza 3 Spec Miata

Clutch is 1 second just uploaded a 2:37.138 at Road America with no clutch to my Storefront for you guys and there is at least a half second left in that lap [Smile] Still using my setup I posted on Store front.

Tires: 30f 30r
Camber: -1.0f -.9r
Caster: 5.6
Shocks: in stock settings
Toe: 0f 0r
Ride Height: 5.2f 5.2r

minus camber setup is almost exactly how I ran my real Spec Miata before the 99 bumpstops [Smile]

Posted by Dusty Bottoms (Member # 594) on :

Good luck trying to keep up with Eric even with his setups. [yep] They are so weird if you're used to something completely different.

AG--tired of chasing the latest race sim.

n/m

Results from tonight's race are posted at:

http://www.barnettmotorsports.com/Forza3SM

Next race is this Saturday 1/16/10 at 9:00pm eastern.

Just finished Sparkle! Juliann nicknamed her [Smile]
 -  -

Anybody interested in setting up races on Sunday nights as well as saturdays? I've missed the past few saturdays and it looks like you guys have had some fun. The wifey expectes to be taken out on saturday nights, so I can't get online until afterwards and you guys are already done.

I second the request for Sunday night. Saturday nights are not usually spent at home for me either.

Sundays are better for me.

I have moved this weekend's race to SUNDAY at 9:00pm eastern!

I was going to join in the next few weeks, but I'm out on Sundays. I'll be at work [Frown]

How about Saturday AND Sunday night races?!?! Hmmmm...

I can't host this Saturday. Perhaps we could alternate Saturdays and Sundays?

Either myself or Cheeto could host this Saturday.

We now have a race this SATURDAY 1/16/10 and SUNDAY 1/17/10.

Saturday host - racerfink
Sunday host - sambarnett

When I get home from work, I'll post the results. I'll try to put the replays up on my storefront too.

Laguna Seca

1. racerfink
2. Cheeto23
3. Disintegration
4. utracer70
5. RacingKiwi
6. GVReedo12

Road America

1. racerfink
2. Cheeto23
3. Disintegration
4. utracer70
5. RacingKiwi
6. NV Racer
7. GVReedo12

Road Atlanta

1. racerfink
2. Disintegration
3. utracer70
4. Cheeto23
5. RacingKiwi
6. GVReedo12
7. NV Racer

Sebring Full

1. racerfink
2. Cheeto23
3. Disintegration
4. utracer70
5. RacingKiwi
6. NV Racer
7. GVReedo12

Sebring Club

1. racerfink
2. Cheeto23
3. utracer70
4. GVReedo12
5. NV Racer

I have all of these races, minus the Laguna Seca one, on my storefront replays. Cheeto23 has all of them, including the Laguna Seca race on his, if you want to see all the action.

Here are the results from the last two races tonight:

Sebring long (5 laps)

1) Cheeto23
2) utracer79
3) RacingKiwi
4) baseballbum22
5) Nigel Stu
6) NV Racer

Laguna Seca (6 laps)

1) Cheeto23
2) baseballbum22
3) NV Racer
4) Nigel Stu

I've posted the replays for these two races on my storefront as well. Race and lap times, if you need them, can be viewed while watching the replays, as well as telemetry; there's quite a bit of data in the replays.

Here are the results from the first two races from Sunday night:

Road America:
1) Cheeto23
2) sambarnett
3) eastZ14shooter
4) Racing Kiwi
5) Nigel Stu
6) NV Racer
7) utracer

Road Atlanta:
1) eastZ14shooter
2) Cheeto23
3) sambarnett
4) utracer
5) Nigel Stu
6) baseballbum22
7) racing kiwi
8) NV racer

I've got a basketball game tonight, so I won't be back home in time to start the lobby. I'll try to get hold of Cheeto23 to host this tonight.

Posted by Astro (Member # 12954) on :

Hey,
I just got a wheel and rented Forza 3 for the weekend so add me (dspence9) to the race tonight. When does it start? Thanks!

Posted by Nsparks (Member # 16706) on :

Hey, Ill be joining y'all in Forza 3.
XBL GT-
CG Compulsion

Nate Sparks.

How about starting signups for the evening races?

Signups would allow for an orderly means of getting players into lobbies (really need to have more than one lobby going at this stage) and ensures spots for everyone that wants to join in.

Might even want to set one of the lobbies up for novice/beginner players; quite a few have commented on this.

Race is at 9pm tonight. I'll be hosting.

Any one have a standard Spec Miata design that I can tweak? It seems to be a LOT of work to start from scratch.

Sam;
I gifted you the Laguna Seca replay, should you need it. The results from that race are:

1) HOLMBERG221
2) utracer70
3) Cheeto23
4) NV Racer
5) GVReedo12
6) dspence9

Good racing all around tonight, guys. I apologize for some careless driving on my part...

Sorry for screwing up the photo at the end. I will have a headset for the next race.

Results from Saturday 1/23/10 Race:

Sebring
1. Cheeto23
2. Holmberg221
3. UTracer70
4. sambarnett
5. GVreedo12
6. NVracer
7. dspence9

Road Atlanta
1. Cheeto23
2. FlyingDevil666
3. Holmberg221
4. Tastytwizzler
5. sambarnett
6. utracer70
7. dspence9
8. NV racer

Road America
1. Cheeto23
2. UTracer70
3. sambarnett
4. Holmberg221
5. dspence9
6. NV Racer

I thought there was a race Sunday night; was I mistaken?

Posted by DaveCo (Member # 2711) on :

Ok when is the next race, I need to commit to doing this.

Usually, every Saturday and Sunday night, at 9EST.

Racerfink I'm out of town this weekend. Can you please pick a night to host and let me know so I can put it on the website and list you as host?

I'm hoping to be in Daytona tomorrow for the 24.

Posted by GROOTS (Member # 4089) on :

Guys, I'm new to this. Whats the best set up , as far as operating system and steering wheel options without breaking the bank

quote:
Racerfink I'm out of town this weekend. Can you please pick a night to host and let me know so I can put it on the website and list you as host?

The weather's going to keep me home tonight, so if racerfink can't cover the hosting duties tonight, I can host. Not a worry.

quote:
Originally posted by GROOTS:
Guys, I'm new to this. Whats the best set up , as far as operating system and steering wheel options without breaking the bank

You really don't need a wheel (or anything that doesn't come in the box with the game console, for that matter). I've always used the controller in all my online racing with good results.

Yeah, the weather is gonna keep me out of Daytona. I'll stay home and watch it where I'm nice and dry.

Okay; tag, you're it!

I'm in for tonight finally! No races this weekend, and best of all no work to do on the racecars! I am going on now to do some test and tune, send me an invite when you get things started.

Jeff,

I would not recommend the wheel and pedals unless you are willing to build a simulator with a race seat. It is just too awkward to try and use them while sitting on the couch and will only mess you up. The controllers work really well and allow you to correct oversteer quicker, which happens a lot in this game. So, pretty much an xbox 360, xbox live membership, and the forza 3 game will get you on a virtual track and racing with us. Gotta have a broadband internet connection to use xbox live though, so be aware of that. Get the game setup, start a single player career and earn some cash so you can get a miata and set it up to our specs. This whole deal should only cost you around $300-400, and I think all new xbox systems come with a free trial of xbox live that you can use at first. I would recommend the xbox's that come with the wireless controller (elite and premium). Once you get on live send us all friend requests and you'll be in!

I've got a District Championship game on Saturday, so I won't be able to run, let alone host that night. Cheeto? Sam? Bueller?

I can handle the hosting duties.

Sorry all. It's 8:50 pm est, and I just got called in to work for a couple of hours. I'll be unable to host.

My apologies.

Posted by GROOTS (Member # 4089) on :

quote:
I'm in for tonight finally! No races this weekend, and best of all no work to do on the racecars! I am going on now to do some test and tune, send me an invite when you get things started.

Jeff,

I would not recommend the wheel and pedals unless you are willing to build a simulator with a race seat. It is just too awkward to try and use them while sitting on the couch and will only mess you up. The controllers work really well and allow you to correct oversteer quicker, which happens a lot in this game. So, pretty much an xbox 360, xbox live membership, and the forza 3 game will get you on a virtual track and racing with us. Gotta have a broadband internet connection to use xbox live though, so be aware of that. Get the game setup, start a single player career and earn some cash so you can get a miata and set it up to our specs. This whole deal should only cost you around $300-400, and I think all new xbox systems come with a free trial of xbox live that you can use at first. I would recommend the xbox's that come with the wireless controller (elite and premium). Once you get on live send us all friend requests and you'll be in!

Thanks for the info john. I think I am going to build a simulator just for the hell of it. Mount a flatscreen on it and I'am a F1 driver. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by DES4:
Sorry all. It's 8:50 pm est, and I just got called in to work for a couple of hours. I'll be unable to host.

My apologies.

Quoting myself. heh.

I was actually able to get back home and fire up the Xbox minutes after 9:00 am est (I was needed at the store for only an hour or so), and found dspence9 and NV Racer online at the time. We ran the full set, but due to the impromptu nature of our races, I did not post results. If needed, I did save the results; sorry I was so late in reporting back...

I can't host or play for a week or two. My disc got scratched by my xbox and I had to mail it into microsoft for replacement :-(

Posted by vinny1441 (Member # 24142) on :

hey i was just wondering when yall race and if i could race with you. My step dad races sm in scca and i think its an awesome series and it would be a blast to race with you all. My gamertag does not represent my driving style..just thought it was catchy [Smile]

BumpNrun51

Posted by Brian Benthin (Member # 10363) on :

I'm thinking of picking up a system and joining you all. Any tips for which one to buy? I see some with hard drives, some without...does it matter for this?

You need a hard drive.

Posted by Scooty (Member # 23651) on :

Anybody going to be racing tomorrow? Would love to join in on some races.

Gamertag - TRC Scooty

I believe this series is meant for those that actually race Spec Miata in the real world, but there's usually a spot or two open for others.

Unfortunately, there hasn't been anything going on in the last two weeks, so possibly, the initial enthusiasm has died out for this...

Well, and season's have started up for a few regions too.

The reason for my absence is that Mass Effect 2 came out...

I am going to make an effort to fire the old xbox 360 up this weekend, I will look for some late nighters on saturday.

What happened, John?

I had to race against the guys at GRM, and this is what it got me (I'm the yellow 'Teg)-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf4LJS4mUp4

Okay, I'm set up but just getting started.
Gamertag is bbenthin.

SM season has started for me so I'm not going to be able to do Forza 3 SM nearly as much for awhile. Hopefully some other people can start hosting so we can keep this going.

Does anyone have the Mazda, Mazdaspeed, Toyo or SCCA logos created that they'd be willing to gift me?

I haven't figured out the whole storefront thing yet...or gifts, but am getting my car togther, So far it's looking good!

I really suck at driving this thing....I'm slowly ratcheting down the assists I'm using. [Razz]

A bunch of people have all those decals. I can't play until next week but add me and if you see me online I'll gift them to you.

Thanks Sam.
Dave (Cheeto23) sent them to me!

Is anyone hosting this weekend?

If not, and if there's any interest in getting together for a few races, I can handle the hosting duties Saturday night.

I can host either Sat or Sun this weekend if there is some interest. Show of hands... who is interested in running?

I can try for Sunday night.

Interested... obviously.

Bueller? Bueller? Anybody running tonight?

Racerfink, if you host I'll join for a few races.

I should be up after the kids are in bed.

Racerfink and I were on running a couple last night. We went for the traditional 9:00 pm est start, but didn't see anyone else on at the time.

I was about to play, but realized the 12 hours of Sebring was on and there was only an hour or so left at 9pm.

It's 9 o'clock. Do you know where your racecar is?

Anybody gonna be ready tonight? I've got a GRM board race at 8, and SHOULD be done by 9.

I am good for tonight. I am out of practice been busy for last month or so.

Dennis

Gametag NV Racer

Well, we had a full room tonight. Me, Cheeto23, and NV Racer, against five AI cars. But they were running Showroom Stock.

Would another night be better for more participation?

Sam spotted a few of us online tonight, an invited us over for an impromtu series of races...

This Saturday (April 10), 9:00 pm est, will be the specmiata.com Forza 3 race night, hosted by SamBarnett. Hoping for a good turnout from forum members...!

I will be at Mid Ohio this weekend for the real thing...maybe next time!

Looks as if I'll be hosting for Sam tonight.

I'll start a lobby at 9:00 pm est, if you're on my friend's list, and I see you're online, expect an invite to the lobby.

If you're not on my friend's list, and want to race tonight, sent me a request before post time.

Thanks!

It's almost 9, where's everybody at?

any racing this weekend?

Posted by SPECIAL OP 69 (Member # 27114) on :

If you all are still doing the SM Forza 3 racing my GamerTag is SPECIAL OP 69 I will hit up some racing with ya.

I gotta try to get back into this! It's been over a month since I've even played my xbox - more like 2 since Forza... Damn racing season getting in the way...

Great Lakes Div is getting into the summer slow-down. Who else is around for a few races starting next week?

Posted by Brian Newton (Member # 29213) on :

ive looked over the rules and whats available on the game and have come up with what i believe to be the best package.

NO intake modification(the 94 has a 1.8 which is not allowed any intake mod other than filter element)
lvl 1 exhaust
lvl 1 cooling
lvl 2 brakes
lvl 2 suspension(camber, caster, toe, and ride height, spring rate adjustable....damping stays at default)
lvl 1 sway bars(front and rear)
roll cage
lvl 2 weight reduction
lvl 1 lsd(must stay at default settings)
lvl 2 clutch
lvl 3 transmission(gear ratios must be 4.30 FD, 1st 3.14, 2nd 1.89, 3rd 1.33, 4th 1, 5th .81, 6th .81)
lighter wheels
tires up to 205 and 15" rim
lvl 2 rubber

lvl 1 brakes and clutch might be closer to the rules.....not sure.

but im coming up with about 272 PI

anyone with ideas?

make that 277 PI

Posted by JC-MX5 (Member # 27578) on :

Wanna give mine a try? I tried to build as close to the actual rules as possible. It's what we use on the other Mazda forums that I visit.

Official Spec Miata Setup

1994 Miata

Engine/Performance:

-Stock Intake
-Street Exhaust
-Street Oil and Cooling
-Everything Else; Bone Stock

Suspension/Brakes/Chassis:

-Street Brake Upgrade
-Race Springs and Dampers (Spring Rates 700lb Front and 325lb rear; per Mazdaspeed Spec Miata suspension kit) Ride height unlimited.
-Race sway bars set to 27 front and 15 rear.
-Roll Cage
-No weight reduction to help meet 2350lb minimum weight.
-Everything Else Stock
-Camber/Caster Unlimited

Drivetrain:
-Street Clutch
-Street Transmission Upgrade (short shifter;gear oil)
-Everything Else Stock including torsen diff.

Wheels and Tyres:
-15 inch Team Dynamics wheels. (or any of equal weight) I use the Konig Daylites because they look like 6ULs. The car ends up at 2348lbs with these, but the P.I. and performance don't change.
-Sport Tread Compound
-205/50r15
-Tyre Pressures Unlimited (best in mid 20's range)

Aero:
All Stock

Your Miata's Performance Index should be E-246

now see theres another issue. weight. so does forza add the weight of an average human to the weight of the car? is the weight of the car the same as on the track?

so the question then is do you count the weight on the screen, or do you add your own weight to that?

i guess the easiest and fairest way is to go with whats on the screen.

Lets just say that that weight is with the driver.

Also in 94 the LSD was an option, so its impossible to know if the stock car in the game has it or not(and with that whether it has the 4.30:1 gearset). So in that case, the race transmission has to be considered so that gear ratios can be set to factory.

Stock in the game appears to be 4.10. I just let it be.

Like I said, the setup is as close to the actual rules as possible. With a race gearbox, you'd have the EXACT ratios, but it really wouldn't be like a stock box, would it?

Posted by Nick D (Member # 30388) on :

I was trying to see if I could set up a Spec Miata on Forza 3 but I really don't know much as to what I should use for the suspension adjustments. I am new to Spec Miata all together so I am lost. haha [duck]

It says what to do for suspension just a few posts above yours...

Posted by Chris Adams (Member # 26045) on :

What times are you all running at Road Atlanta?

I have built a few of my own "spec" miatas, but I have been using just suspension, tires, and weight upgrades to keep the car in the correct HP range... neglecting weight (which doesnt mean much in forza).

I'll put together a car following the guidelines here (whos guide should I follow?) and get into some races with you guys.

Gamertag is DSPrebz.

Not to plug myself, but I think mine is a good choice. Its the one we used on themazdaforum.com, clubroadster.net and it leaked onto a couple of other forums as well. A lot of people use it.

Posted by Nick D (Member # 30388) on :

Why am I so misunderstood? lol I mean something close to a good set up numbers wise, such as camber and caster degrees ext...

Trial and error? Mess with it until you find a caster/camber balance that you like. I add camber until the tyres have even temperatures inside/outside/middle while cornering. [Wink] I don't remember my caster/camber settings at the moment.

i think its that time of year again, we need to setup some more online SM races.
Anyone up for racing this saturday night or sunday morning?

Posted by Supertone (Member # 16243) on :

I would like to get on @ some point soon. Getting married and moving kinda slows the recreational gaming scene on my plate.

Posted by Harlequin Auto (Member # 17182) on :

IT IS THAT TIME OF YEAR. I KNOW OF 3-4 PPL THAT ARE READY FOR A SERIES WHENEVER. WE TRIED ONE RIGHT WHEN THE GAME CAME OUT. I REMEMBER YOU SUPERTONE. THERE IS A WEBSITE THAT HAS THE SPECS FOR A SM. IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN A SERIES LETS GET ONE GOING.

GAMERTAG CHUCKYTT

Posted by JRandall (Member # 13984) on :

Three of us will be online tonight playing Forza. Look for ChukyTT or Typhoon089

Everybody that ran this last year used the specs from page 2 of this thread. I would say if you're gonna run with them, you should probably run the same specs.

Posted by Dukes1969 (Member # 34384) on :

I'm building a car to John A's specs right now. If anyone wants to race please add me: Chris Field

Posted by MattUF (Member # 34770) on :

I'm about to build a spec miata, gamertag: youngmc86

If anyone is interested americanlemans.com has Forza3 on sale for $20 in their merchandise store. Not sure about the shipping charges or sales tax.

Dennis