This is topic Cages, Advantages in forum Garage 2002-2009 at Spec Miata Community.

To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://forum.specmiata.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/44/101.html

Posted by Alan Russell (Member # 436) on :

Ignoring saftey for the moment, does anyone have any objective information on cage performace? IE, I had a bolt in xxx brand cage and when I went to a weled cage the car behaved this way..

The reason I ask is I see a lot of effort being spent to STIFFEN the car with the cage, and I wonder if it advantageous to have the car be stiffer. In my other racing experiences I found that a softer, flexible chasis works better with harder tires.

Posted by Chip Bryan (Member # 110) on :

Well, we have super stiff 700lb. springs, so some chassis flex might not be a bad thing. My cages have emphasized safety first, but have also triangulated the rear shock mounts so as to stiffen the car up.

I know my old street/track miata with Racing Beat competition springs and Bilsteins broke the hard top mounts on several occasions, for what that's worth.

I don't know of any valid cage stifness comparison ou there.

I do know you need to be able to climb ou the passenger side when you wind up in a canal at Moroso (see other post)

We still need to hook up so I can help you with your car. I'll probably be working on mine again this weekend...call me.

Chip

Posted by Alan Russell (Member # 436) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chip Bryan:
We still need to hook up so I can help you with your car. I'll probably be working on mine again this weekend...call me.

Chip

Sure, I can bring a bilge pump if needed <G>.

Have you ever noticed the big crack in the outside wall at turn 2 at moroso? I did it.

Alan