Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » 2-Pole Master Switch?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: 2-Pole Master Switch?
MiataRacer31 Verified Driver
Racing Junkie

Region: Steel Cities
Car #: 31
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MiataRacer31   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I saw the document on how to properly wire a four-pole switch, but how do I wire up one that has only two? I'm guessing the positive wires to the "main" fuse and "Fuel Injector" relay would be broken, in addition to the positive lead to the alternator? So that would be three wires on each pole. Thanks.

--------------------
Dale
http://users.zoominternet.net/~blacktopracing

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is a good diagram in this thread.

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000021;p=0

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Racing Junkie

Icon 1 posted  Profile for MiataRacer31   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Can anybody tell me the best way to wiring a master kill switch with only two poles? I was thinkning of having it just cut the 80A main relay, but the thread above mentions either the negative or positive battery cable as well. I already have the switch and I don't want to go get a four or six pole switch. Anybody? thanks in advance.

--------------------
Dale

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dale, I'll save you a search. Dave Wheeler posted this a couple years ago, the man is a genius, I would have never figured this out. I wired mine like this - works perfect. Here it is:

"I've let you guys talk about cutting wires, electrical problems and no starts for a while. Here's how I do it and why.

Anytime you break into the factory wiring harness you are looking for problems. Also, in a racecar you never want ANY chance of loose connections or power lose in the fuel or ignition systems. So, why does everybody insist on doing it this way?

I mount my switch on the rollcage about where the passengers right shoulder would be. I use a single pole switch with just 2 connecters.

Start by removing the positive battery cable from the car all the way to the starter. Remove all the tape and clips so it is a free standing cable. Route the cable back through the evaporator hole into the interior. Secure the cable to the trans tunnel with adel clamps. Cut the cable to length and with the proper sized lug attach to the switch. The left over cable is not long enough to reach back to the battery so you will need to purchase a battery cable to go from the battery to the switch.

To get the car to "kill" required some thought and a lot of looking at the wiring diagrams. But it is actually easy.

Remove the battery lead(white larger wire) from the alternator output lug. Cut the connector off and install a larger eyelet. Remove the nut from the starter cable and install the white wire directly to the starter.

Using 10 guage wire about 13 feet long connect the alternator post to BATTERY side of the kill switch. YOU'RE DONE

When you turn the switch off the battery is disconnected AND since the alternator output is hooked to the battery only the car will die. No cutting of wiring harnesses, no blown ECU, no worries mate!!!!"

[I didn't re-route the positive cable. I just just unhooked it in the trunk enough that it reached the switch mounted on the main hoop. -Denny]

Juan Pineda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 34
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So the alternator is disconnected completely, and the car runs only off of battery power?

If so, a few consequences. You would need to recharge your battery periodically. It's probably worth a little HP, as generating 400 watts from the alternator requires one HP. Protest! On the other hand the ignition would be running on only 12V vs. 14V -- maybe suboptimal?

Interesting idea, though.

-Juan

--------------------
www.ArtOfRoadRacing.com Race Craft Clinic - Thunderhill - 30 Jan 2011

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No, the alternator is connected to the battery side of the kill switch. When the circuit is closed it functions as OEM.

Jim Boemler Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NWR, OR
Car #: 30
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jim Boemler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just FYI, after the race last weekend our tech guys verified that each battery was really charging.

jim

--------------------
Just a clown

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Juan Pineda   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Got it. Yea, that sounds pretty clever. It also provides good alternator protection because the alternator output stays connected to the battery.

The only down side that I can see is having a hot wire going to the engine compartment that could possibly get pinched and short out.

-Juan

--------------------

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I made a diagram of Dave's circuit. I've been using this on my car for the last 2 years with no problems.

-

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just an FYI, this is how we had mine wired originally. When I later pulled the motor I threw the kill switch and while in the process of pulling stuff off the motor I grounded the alternator with a wrench while attempting to disconnect it. Spark shower, not good.

We rewired my car so there is no power to the engine compartment once the switch is thrown. I believe that is the best way to go. Just remember you have high pressure fuel lines just a couple of inches above the wire connecting the battery to the alternator...

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Another FYI, disconnect battery before pulling motor. [Razz]

99 all the way!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:

Yep.

Shame on you Casey! [shame] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Racing Junkie

Denny,

Thanks! For whatever reason, my searches did nto return that information... only the info on the 4+ pole switches. I appreciate it, and am going to give this a try.

--------------------
Dale

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Antonio Garza:
quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:

Yep.

Shame on you Casey! [shame] [Big Grin]

You may be surprised to learn that is the next thing I did... [Smile]

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Casey Zandbergen:
We rewired my car so there is no power to the engine compartment once the switch is thrown.

How did you wire that, with four pole switch? If so, what did you interrupt with the other two poles?

-Juan

--------------------

MegaModerator

Juan, my brother redid the wiring I am not sure how he did it. We are at the track this weekend and I will ask him what the trick is.

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Racing Junkie

Quick question about the above instructions and diagram of Dave Wheeler's install. The picture shows a wire to the IG switch to the Starter, but the instructions don't mention the IG switch. My brain must be hemoraging, becasue I can't figure out this single pole/two connector install for the life of me. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it. I don't know (in the words of Mr. Spicolli).

--------------------
Dale

99 all the way!

Dale, don't worry about the ignition switch. That's just there for illustration purposes. Just worry about which wire to pull from the alternator...it just so happens to be wired to the ignition switch. Also don't worry about the instructions, follow the diagram above and the confusion will be lessened.

I'll put what I did in words to see if it helps.

1) Disconnect battery.
2) Take positive battery cable and cut off connector. Add 6 gauge terminal. I crimped and soldered mine.
3) Connect this to one end of the switch.
4) Get short (I forgot the length) length of 6 gauge wire with one post terminal and one small terminal. I believe the one I got normally fits a lawn tractor.
5) Connect this cable to the other side of the switch, leave the other end unconnected for now.
6) Take the wire off the B-terminal on the alternator, remove, connect to starter battery terminal...or cut it off if you feel like it. Dave doesn't like cutting the harness so in his original post/instructions he recommended just looping it.
7) Lay new wire (10-12gauge), put a terminal on one end to fit the B-terminal on the alternator, and another terminal to fit the battery side of the switch. Connect both ends.
8) Connect positive terminal on the battery...now you're set.

--------------------

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Car #: 08
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You can just order the kit from Dave Wheeler and in 15-30 minutes you will be done. I am by no means a mechanic and I got this done quickly and easily as all parts are included with an excellent set of directions. For $80 you can't beat this high quality kit. I've got no stake in Advanced-Autosports. Just a very satisfied customer.

Dave

Racing Junkie

Dave,

No offense, but why would I order a kit when I already have everything? I just don't know how to install it. Also, it can't take just 15-30 minutes. I'll try Antonio's directions, but it looks like it will take longer. Time isn't a factor anyway, just doing it right is.

On a side note, is a master kill switch still optional? I know it didn't used to be required.

--------------------
Dale

99 all the way!

It's required now.

It's 15-30minutes if you have all the parts...which is the nice part about a kit. I had to buy several lengths of wire, lugs, etc.

--------------------

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dale, send me an email with a fax number and I will fax my instruction sheet to you.

Dave@advanced-autosports.com

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Racing Junkie

All

I'm writing formal instructions so that ohters may benefit in the future. Can you please read the text below and let me know if it's correct? I do have one follow-up question at the end. Thanks!
-------------

How To Install A
Single Pole, 2_Connector Master Kill Switch
In A Spec Miata

By Dale Black, Dave Wheeler, Antonio Garza

What you need:
One single-pole/two-connector kill switch
Four feet of 6AWG coated & stranded wire
Twelve feet of 10/12AWG coated & stranded wire
Three 6AWG ring terminals (for the kill switch)
One 10/12AWGring terminal (for the Alternator)
One battery terminal (for the positive battery anode)

The instructions below assume the switch will be mounted to the passenger-side of the main hoop of the roll cage, or in the passenger-side of the panel that bolts behind the seat(s).

1) Disconnect battery.
2) Cut connector off positive battery cable and add 6AWG ring terminal (it is recommended that you crimp and solder the terminal for extra reliability).
3) Connect this to one end of the switch.
4) Take the four-foot length of 6AWG wire and install one 6AWG ring terminal on one end and one battery terminal on the other (you may be able to buy this as an assembly for a lawn tractor).
5) Connect the 6AWG side of the cable to the other side of the kill switch and leave the other end unconnected for now (it will connect to the positive battery anode).
6) Take the wire off the B-terminal on the alternator, remove, connect to starter battery terminal...or cut it off if you feel like it (Dave doesn't like cutting the harness so in his original post/instructions he recommended just looping it).
7) Lay new 10/12AWG wire, put a 10/12AWG ring terminal on one end to fit the B-terminal on the alternator, and a 6AWG ring terminal on the other end to fit the battery side of the switch. Connect both ends.
8) Connect positive terminal on the battery.

Question in reference to Step 6 above: There are only two wires connected to the alternator... a white one with a ring terminal and another with a harness-type plug. Which is the ďB-terminalĒ? Iím assuming itís the white one.

--------------------
Dale

Chris Dyer

Car #: Still Building
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Dyer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As I am in the process of building my SM now... Does anyone have pics of where they have the master kill switch mounted??

I'll be out to play with everyone next season.

Thanks Guys

--------------------
Chris
New guy to the SM game

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Dyer:
As I am in the process of building my SM now... Does anyone have pics of where they have the master kill switch mounted??

I'll be out to play with everyone next season.

Thanks Guys

Chris. I like it where the driver can reach it. Mine are on the drivers side roll bar near the A-Pillar. I actually am now having them mounted in the farthest left vent hole on the dash.

MEAT

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Dwayne Hoover Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dwayne Hoover     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A couple thoughts:

-If you make/break a hot wire with your kill switch, whereever that hot wire is routed is a chance for a short to ground (chafing from vibration, or pinched in an accident). POOF! [flamed]

-If you make/break a ground wire with your kill switch, if it gets pinched it will only be shorting to itself, thus effectively bypassing the kill switch.

I really don't imagine my kill switch ever saving my life, but I'd be ticked if it fried my harness, DNF'd me, or blew boiling sulfuric acid all over my trunk.

--------------------
Visit the Midland City Arts Festival!

Jason Holland Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Mediocrity rules!

Region: SouthEast
Car #: 28
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jason Holland   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Werd. I break the negative side with mine.

--------------------
Jason Holland
Semi-interested civilian

trackwhore Verified Driver

Region: Mid Atlantic
Car #: 02
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trackwhore   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

reviving this old forum, but i would like to add some details which could help future builders:
the white wire on the passenger side of the alternator gets rerouted to the highestandforwardmost pole of the starter (Step 6 above).
step 7 lays a new wire from where the white wire originally was on the alternator to the "battery" pole of the master kill switch -- thats the same pole as your new short cable to the positive battery terminal.
somehow this works without sparks or flames.
I bought my 2-pole switch from Advanced Autosports. it came with good directions, but the first part of the directions said to pull the factory cable from the positive side of the battery down out of the trunk, separate from the PPF...then run it back into the car through the firewall.
i didnt do that. I left the cable in the trunk, ran it up the roll cage to the switch, which was mounted just 2 feet from the battery. i then ran my new long wire along the same route as the +cable (along the PPF) to the switch.
i am not sure why AA recommended all the old wires removed and rerouted when they are already in place and secure?
thanks for the great diagram Antonio

--------------------
A crackwhore will do anything for more rock, I'll do almost anything for more seat time.

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Do any of you also kill the coilpack on the rear of the head, effectively killing spark to the motor? I think that's how I'm going to wire mine, in addition to killing the batt and alt.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Griff W Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Member - Save the green car foundation!

Region: Florida - 11
Car #: 14
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Griff W     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
Do any of you also kill the coilpack on the rear of the head, effectively killing spark to the motor? I think that's how I'm going to wire mine, in addition to killing the batt and alt.

I'm not sure why you'd need to do that; once you've removed the Batt and Alt from the circuit (the positive side) via the master disconnect, the coil pack has nothing to run on. Am I missing anything here? [scratchchin]

--------------------
The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start out with a big one.

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think that idea would allow for an early warning system.

When the kill switch starts thinking about going bad (and they do) then the car would run like crap earlier in the process than if the ignition is not involved in the circuit.

Extra redundancy and complication can be a bad thing.

Matt Johnson Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Johnson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Best way to keep a kill switch from going bad: only use it when absolutely nesecary while there is an electrical load going through it.

--------------------
Matt Johnson
1990 SM #73 - yet another red miata.

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A couple points:

With my diagram, there is no reason to get into the wireing for the coils. If you stop the flow of electricity from both the alternator and the battery, EVERYTHING will stop when you switch the master off.

I pull the wiring off the PPF for ease of future repair work. Pulling the motor or ttans or diff, or driveshaft is much easier with the battery cable moved to the interior. I have also seen battery cables hanging low off the ppf after soem well meaning mechanic broke the clips.

I am sure it happens, but I have never seen a failure of a metal master switch with the fixed handle. I have seen many of the plastic ones (with the removable handle) fail. I never use a plastic master switch.

Just my 2 cents
Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Jeff Budzinski

Region: SFR
Car #: Building It Now
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Budzinski     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For some, it might be worth noting that there are both positive and negative terminals on the starter. The positive terminal is difficult to see and easy to miss. But if you connect to the negative, then you will short the battery (producing an unpleasant sulfur smell). The positive starter terminal is toward the top of the starter -- covered by a plastic shroud. This is the one to use if you are following Dave Wheeler's instructions.

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just by the kit that dave sells and be done with it. It takes about 15 minutes to install and I have never had a problem with them. (two wire)

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Jeff Budzinski

Region: SFR
Car #: Building It Now
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Budzinski     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I bought the kit but managed to connect it to the wrong terminal on the starter. It was apparent something was wrong when the battery emitted a sulfur smell. I didn't realize there were two terminals on the starter until I looked at the workshop manual. Dave's instructions don't mention this and the positive terminal is very hard to see even through the wheel well. Anyway, once I connected to the correct terminal it worked fine.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: