Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Fat Cat Motorsports Bumpstop Info (Page 0)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Author Topic: Fat Cat Motorsports Bumpstop Info
Monkeywrench

Region: SJR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Monkeywrench     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It took about 5 weeks to get mine. It would be best to call Shaikh to get the current status on the latest batch.

--------------------
-Bob Adams

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

5 weeks delivery time for me too. Only took a Sat. afternoon to install. Nice kit, can't wait to try it out.

Kyle Freiheit

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

ouch. Guess I may not get to use the Fatcat kit for awhile.

kyle

misterwaterfallin

Region: Northwest
Car #: 07
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It took about the same for me, but he is supposed to be a bit more current as of now. There were a lot of orders in December when the kit was announced so it kind of flooded him with order to get out. Give him a call and ask how long it will be for a single order

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Jeff Mosing Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Crash test pilot for MX-5 CUP

Region: Southwest-Houston
Car #: 16, 17, 31
Year : 1992, 1999, 2006
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Mosing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a complete unused set in hand for sale for what I've got in them plus ship. I think they were $214.00 for the whole set if anyone interested.

--------------------
Jeff Mosing
2006 Playboy MX-5 CUP #31
1992 SM #16
1999 SM #17

Jeff Mosing Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Crash test pilot for MX-5 CUP

Region: Southwest-Houston
Car #: 16, 17, 31
Year : 1992, 1999, 2006
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Mosing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a complete unused set in hand for sale for what I've got in them plus ship. I think they were $214.00 for the whole set if anyone interested.

--------------------
Jeff Mosing
2006 Playboy MX-5 CUP #31
1992 SM #16
1999 SM #17

seege Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NASA So Cal
Year : Thinking on that.... ok done 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for seege     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

PM Sent

--------------------
-CJ Johnson

Kyle Freiheit

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just talked to Shaikh, they are starting to get caught up, he said mine should ship in a 2 weeks.

kyle

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I received my FatCat last week, 3 week order to received.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mine took 5 weeks from Dec 9th. I also bought the bilstein spacers.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Got mine and installed it in one afternoon. One suggestion I'd make is to include a set of instructions with the kit. At $200, they ought to be able to afford them. There wasn't even note directing the buyer to the F/C website to view them. Report card: Kit = A+, Service = C minus.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For folks who want to cheat and use the instructions. . .

http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM_shock_mount_with_MCU_bushings_NEW.pdf

Jerry Cabe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Cincy / Great Lakes Div
Car #: 10
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jerry Cabe   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Denny,

Do the instructions include a lot of pictures? We're not sure Rick can read.

Jerry

--------------------
Just driving SM until the F-1 car is ready.

mdavis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Southwest
Car #: 45
Year : 1991-sold,95,99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mdavis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Got mine in about 4 weeks. There was a note in the delivery that gave a link to the instructions.

--------------------
Matthew F. Davis
Texas Region SCCA

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mdavis:
Got mine in about 4 weeks. There was a note in the delivery that gave a link to the instructions.

No such note in mine. A very nice hand written thank you note on the reciept however! And Jerry all I need is pictures. I've shopped at IKEA!
Rick

--------------------

JD Morris Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
A slower JD...

Region: SF
Car #: RIP #56
Year : --
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JD Morris     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Did you guys have to cut the bumpstop to accept the hardened washer (the add'l step where I used a holesaw)? Shaikh told me he would have an improved design that didn't require that step and I'm curious if he implemented it.

JD

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bump stops I received were good to go. Looks like he reamed/drilled the hole.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

By the way, some of may notice the instructions call for a M10 set-screw that threads into the long shock nut. My kit did not have these. I emailed Mr. Ahmad and he said they are purely cosmetic, and aren't included in the kits. Just be sure to use locktite on the shock threads.

Peter M. Verified Driver

Region: 22 NER
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Peter M.   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Quick question - My upper shock mount bushings don't have numbers on them and the instructions say to ignore the blue ring (cutting marks?). One side tapers in more than the other (1.675" vs 1.6").

I'm about to assume the side that tapers more is the one that faces downwards toward the shock hat, but figured I'd see if anyone was on here.

Thanks,
Peter

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You didn't read the first part of the instructions about making sure you have plenty of time light etc. did you? [Wink]

Yes, you're correct. The skinny end goes down. Mine weren't numbered either.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Peter M. Verified Driver

Region: 22 NER
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Peter M.   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's what I didn't start this yesterday at 1:30am, but rather started "early" at 9pm. Thanks Keith!

Adroitracer Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 80
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adroitracer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hopefully an easy question.

The instructions really do not address the lower bump stop bushing (the one that you used to have to drill out for the hardened washer). What is stopping that from falling down and getting smashed back up and down every time you go over a bump? I can see since that hole has been widened to accept the washer that the bushing would wobble while running and not have a good contact when being pushed up upon bottoming out the shock. This seems to be because it is not secured to anything up top. Any insight on this?

I am just about to install them on my 99 since my old hats had that ovalizing issue that everyone is talking about, and Mazdaspeed recommended these.

--------------------
Sponsors: Masy Systems, Inc (Validation/calibration/biostorage). http://www.masy.com
nanoCLEAN (Cleanroom cleaning services). http://www.nanoclean.us

CP Verified Driver

Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've got everything ready to reassemble, however none of my FC bushings have numbers or blue coloring. The top-most bushing has the center hole slightly bored out on one side. Does that side face up or down?

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I believe that faces down toward the shock. FMC has a real nice PDF of the install procedures with good pictures, I would not proceed without downloading and reading first, it was updated around the end of last year when they started shipping the bushings with the hole enlarged as you describe. I followed it to the letter and my stuff went in quick and easy.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

CP Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I printed that out for direction and it doesn't give details other than to mention which way the "upper bushing with number facing toward mount" is positioned. Since my bushings don't have any numbers on them I'm SOL.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just picked up a new suspension kit from Advance Auto Sports for 1480 with end links and fat cats installed. They showed up assembled and ready to go on the car

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/contact.htm

Why not go to the source? They are very helpful and reply promply.

FastM3 Verified Driver

Car #: 38
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for FastM3     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

408-221-8247

I called and left a message yesterday and Shaikh called back within a few hours.

--------------------
Phil
Silver 38 SM/ITA

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cy- Mine didn't have numbers on them but they did have the blue on one side. With all of them, the tapered end went down. I think that center hole is bored out so the top nut slips into the hole.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

CP Verified Driver

I got feedback today from him...very helpful. The bored part of the bushing points down. Suspension is back on the car and everything was tightened with the suspension loaded [Smile]

--------------------
-Cy

Charlie Williams Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: SSM 4
Year : 90, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Charlie Williams     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So I have to ask what the shock hat package gains are. I have not seen any explanation but could easily missed it. I have not heard anything at the track either. I am an SSM driver. Thanks, CW

--------------------
CW
MARRS SSM 4

Charlie:
Cliff notes: The FCB kit gives you more suspension travel and the bump stops have a more progressive "sping rate" than the stock 99's. Net result, you can stay off the stops to a greater degree and when you don't, it works better.
Rick

--------------------

. . . plus more neg. camber, allowing tires to wear evenly - which prolongs tire life, at least for misers like me that run them to the cords.

B Kuch

Region: Neohio
Car #: 45
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Kuch     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Williams:
So I have to ask what the shock hat package gains are. I have not seen any explanation but could easily missed it. I have not heard anything at the track either. I am an SSM driver. Thanks, CW

You will like them,plus you can set the car up a lot lower,and get more camber out of it!

Charlie Williams Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Philadelphia
Car #: SSM 4
Year : 90, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Charlie Williams     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks, guys! I'll get going on it. CW

--------------------
CW
MARRS SSM 4

CP Verified Driver

Who has same day testing data showing the FCM kit lap times compared to stock top hat/bump stop lap times? Are the results similar/different between NA and NB cars? All I've read is conjecture and guessing based upon theory...

--------------------
-Cy

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Our recent tests show significant improvements in lap times obtained by fitting NA hats on '99's.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

CP Verified Driver

Funny [butthead]

--------------------
-Cy

Fat Cats aren't going to make you faster but they will keep you from getting holes in your hood and quarter panels.

Chris D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Great Lakes - Detroit
Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just don't wait until the last minute to order them. I ordered my kit on March 8 and was told there was a two week backorder.

--------------------
Chris Dilluvio
Farmington Hills, MI

Adroitracer Verified Driver

Car #: 80
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Adroitracer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When installing the top nut on the FCM kit, how do you stop the shaft from spinning to tighten the nut down well enough...or is getting it to that point well enough?

--------------------
Sponsors: Masy Systems, Inc (Validation/calibration/biostorage). http://www.masy.com
nanoCLEAN (Cleanroom cleaning services). http://www.nanoclean.us

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Use an impact gun. If it still spins have someone use a set of channel locks with some rubber around the shock shaft to protect it.

--------------------
Paul McLester

notsure Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for notsure     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Shaikh at Fat Cat Motorsports has done a great job with an installation guide (pdf) that addresses this particular question as well as any other questions you may come up with.

Instead of me quoting his guide, I think you would benefit from reading it in it's entirety to ensure all your ducks are in row before you get to far along.

You can view it or download (pdf) via this link from his site:
Assembly Instructions for the FCM-MT-KIT-SM

If the above link doesn't work, you can easily find it on the Fat Cat Motorsport site:

http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com

There is an SCCA / NASA Spec Miata link in the navigation section on the left side of the site where you'll find the instructions.

As others have said: If you do need to speak with them regarding clarification, questions or other product issues, give them a call. They say on their site that they more than likely will not answer due to being in the shop working. But trust them, leave a message and they WILL call you back as soon as they can.

Great customer service.

Hope that helps.

Pack Fodder

The impact gun didn't work for me but then again I had a POS gun at the time. I used the vice grip method to compress the top bushing.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

mjjkracer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for mjjkracer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am in the middle of installing my kit and looking forward to setup changes. What kind of setting changes did people make? Same ride height but not on the bump stops anymore? Or lower ride height?

Chris D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Great Lakes - Detroit
Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've just assembled the Fat Cat Kit and something doesn't quite look right. Is the bumpstop itself supposed to be free to float along the shock shaft? It was suggested by someone to use Gorilla Glue to bond the stop to the underside of that large red washer, but the more I thought about it, I don't think that will hold up. Just checking to see if anyone else shared this concern. Or, maybe I just screwed something up. [Confused]

-

--------------------
Chris Dilluvio
Farmington Hills, MI

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie Williams:
Thanks, guys! I'll get going on it. CW

Better check on the SSM Rules first......

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Chris, You've assemble it correctly. I glued my bumpstops to the washer (Gorilla glue) at the beginning of last season and they're still in place. I don't think it really matters if you do or not, and you can always re-glue the bumpstop in situ if the glue doesn't hold.

-Denny

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Region: Oregon
Car #: 00
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Chris, You've assemble it correctly. I glued my bumpstops to the washer (Gorilla glue) at the beginning of last season and they're still in place. I don't think it really matters if you do or not, and you can always re-glue the bumpstop in situ if the glue doesn't hold.

-Denny

I use a tie wrap around the upper part of the shock shaft.

Tom

notsure Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for notsure     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

FCM say's they're supposed to float freely. But like Denny say's, it doesnt matter.

So might as well leave it alone and let it float.

Page 1 of 2 1  2  next » 

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: