Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Best hood pins?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Best hood pins?
dtfastbear Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
faster than the average bear...

Region: SFR / NorCal
Car #: 72
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My spec miata uses the stock hood latch, but my LS1 Miata race car will need hood pins, which are new to me.

Does anyone have advice or opinions on what to get? I've seen everything from the cheapo Longacre $10 pins to the "captured" slider pins for $15. There are also fancy anodized Sparco captured sliding pins for $30 and billet ones for over $100 in the hot rod world.

Thoughts/experince to share?

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
NASA Nor Cal SM series Director
www.molaps.com

Winner - Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Driver Shootout

Evil Genius Racing / Race Engineering / Stewart Development

Unsafe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Team Saferacer

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 70
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Unsafe     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The best pins are the ones that you will remember to secure before going on track. Can't tell you how many hoods and windshields we've collectively seen blown up, smashed and bent.

I've seen it happen on many pro race cars, too, so price of the pin doesn't seem to matter when they aren't secured. FWIW, we use slider pins so we don't lose the cotter.

--------------------
Mike Asselta
http://www.saferacer.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dtfastbear   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What about the aerocatch pins? They look SWEET, and it seems like when unlocked, the levers would stick up in the air enough that you'd see them...

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Unsafe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Team Saferacer

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 70
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Unsafe     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's a good idea....my crew chief probably goes insane because I am always asking him to check the pins once I am strapped in. If you can see them from the driver's seat, seems like a cool bonus.

--------------------
Mike Asselta
http://www.saferacer.com

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Why use them? Just add a quick pull cable to the front of the car and you will not have a problem with your hood flying up. You will also be able to open and close the hood faster than if you had hood pins.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I left the safety latch on my hood when I installed hood pins. That way if the pins get left out you don't have to buy a windshield.
It's also a good idea to get in the habit of putting the pins in EVERY time you close the hood. Period.

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's a whole page of them. I use the Moroso aluminum ones. Any of them will be fine. Those aerocatch deals are cool, but pricey. Also, my fellow AS racer had them at the Runoffs and you can see his hood flapping on the video where one or more failed to hold, for whatever reason. With a regular pin, you know it's in place..... or not. Like Mike says, the good one is the one you remember to put in.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=hood%20pins&dds=1.

This is why I need pins:

-

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I like the Aerocatch. Make sure to install them so that the narrow side faces the front of the car. Clearance to the leading edge of the hood is tight installing in this direction but that way on the extremely off chance they click open they will only click into the half-open position which will still keep the pin in, and the air flowing over them will keep them from opening completely.

It's also a good idea to paint the inside of the latch handle a flourescent color that is a completely different color than your car so that it will be obvious they're open from the driver seat.

The other advantage of Aerocatch is they're the quickest to close so securing them EVERY time you close the hood is a no brainer.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Great info, everyone. Thanks!!

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Somewhat related: if you want ready made wire lanyards for the pins, go to the Wally World fishing section and get 6" steel leaders. They have the loops already made on the ends. A bag of them is a couple of bucks.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What we found to work good was to make a rule. If the hood is closed the hood pins go in. No exception. At the shop, track, Any ware. If someone is caught closing the hood without putting in the pins it cost them a case of beer. Haven’t lost a hood yet and want to keep it that way. On one team it was almost a competition to see if you could trick someone into forgetting (they loved free beer). Has to be about as embarrassing as losing a tire because you have not torque the lugs. (Same rule for lugs). Not to mention it not very safe.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

dfastbear,
Where did you get the blue water outlet. I need a straight one like that for my LS1 project.
I am thinking the Aerocatch type, but not sure at this point.
Thanks,
Mac

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by dtfastbear:
What about the aerocatch pins? They look SWEET, and it seems like when unlocked, the levers would stick up in the air enough that you'd see them...

I have been running Aerocatch pins for years. I have had them on my last 5 or 6 SM's. I love them. Way better than all of the other crap and they look cool too.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

http://forum.specmiata.com/files/00000717/IMG_5581.jpg

I think you can see the pins here.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by 38BFAST:
What we found to work good was to make a rule. If the hood is closed the hood pins go in. No exception. At the shop, track, Any ware.

+1

ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike C:
http://forum.specmiata.com/files/00000717/IMG_5581.jpg

I think you can see the pins here.

Hey Mike, are you running the OEM hood latch as well? I put standard Longacre pins in what looks like the same place as yours are, in my '99; using the hole in the cross member behind the lights. However, my hood shook so much at speed that I put the stock latch back in.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

MegaModerator

I have done it both ways. Now I leave the latch AND use the pins. I just relocate the pull.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

Based on recommendations from Rob and Mike C, I've bought a set of aerocatch pins. I'll update the thread once I've installed them with more details on the install procedure.

I really like the idea of "the rule" - if the hood goes down, the pins get latched, no matter where the car is. Good rule for lugs/torquing (wheels go onto the ground - torque all the way around) and any fastener in general. I got bitten this past weekend from a loose fuel line fitting when I went to start a car. For the record, it was ME who assembled the fittings on the car but didn't tighten them!!

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

PS Dean
love the aerocatch pins - have them on my #39 car. But make sure you paint the hood AFTER installing the pins, cos even really skilled guys like Fowler-Larry can still mess up and scratch that great expensive paint job! [Roll Eyes] [duck]

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Let any of your part time crew / friends know about "The Rule". I have tested them by deliberately leaving them out to see if they would catch me. I am happy to buy the beer if they do. It's like winning a trophy for my Dad when he finds them out [Smile] . First thing he does when he comes in the shop is check hood pins. You can have a lot of fun with “The Rule”. Keeps everyone on their toes.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

dsrgr Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Las Vegas
Car #: 2
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dsrgr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mike C. How did you relocate the hood pull? Where does it come out now?

Dan Cooper Verified Driver

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 35
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Cooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by dsrgr:

I got rid of the actual OEM pull, i cut the cable short and put it back through the fire wall and looped the end and it comes out just under the stock tow hook in the front.

I know a couple guys screwed the plastic pull to the body in the same area as above, but the cable works just as well and is quite a bit easier.

Dan

--------------------
Dan
--
Green Miata #35
Integriteam/Integratis

Dan Cooper Verified Driver

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Cooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

PS - Mike C. prob has a better way of doing it, this is just my way...

haha

--------------------
Dan
--
Green Miata #35
Integriteam/Integratis

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Had to laugh when I saw this on the front page while this thread was still on the right:

-

I've had this happen to me twice with hood pins - once because my teammate left them out (he paid for the hood) and the second time because I left them out after picking up the car from the paint shop. Happened while I was driving across the SF Bay Bridge en route to putting the car back in its trailer. Not my happiest moment!

Blix Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NER
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Blix     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Which aerocatch do you guys use? The #1 or #2?

http://www.aerocatch.com for reference.

Thanks

E

--------------------
Eric
http://www.hale-motorsports.com
For all your Mazda and Mustang needs

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Has anyone gotten into a front-end crash with the Aerocatch pins? I thought the main benefit of hood pins was that they were less likely to jam shut in the event of a shunt. The Aerocatch mechanism looks more complicated than a simple hood pin, and thus more likely to jam. Am I being paranoid?

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Blix:

Thanks

E

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Cooper:
quote:
Originally posted by dsrgr:

I got rid of the actual OEM pull, i cut the cable short and put it back through the fire wall and looped the end and it comes out just under the stock tow hook in the front.

I know a couple guys screwed the plastic pull to the body in the same area as above, but the cable works just as well and is quite a bit easier.

Dan

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Cooper:
PS - Mike C. prob has a better way of doing it, this is just my way...

haha

I do it the same way you do.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I got rid of the cable system then cut the primary latch off so it won't catch. That way it still serves as a line-up/ support. I still have the secondary safety latch as a catch if I forget the pins.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

quote:
Originally posted by PedalFaster:
Has anyone gotten into a front-end crash with the Aerocatch pins? I thought the main benefit of hood pins was that they were less likely to jam shut in the event of a shunt. The Aerocatch mechanism looks more complicated than a simple hood pin, and thus more likely to jam. Am I being paranoid?

As I was describing the cool-ass aerocatch latches that I just bought for our car, in the background on TV, one of the RX8's was in the pits after some front end contact in the Daytona 24 and the mechanics were pounding on the hood and struggling to get their aerocatch pins to close.

IRRC, the rest of the conversation went:

Dean: "Well, just don't hit anything with the front of the car."

Laura: "It's not me I'm worried about."

--------------------
www.molaps.com

mtm68 Verified Driver

Region: CalClub/ SFR
Car #: 67
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mtm68     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

She has a point.

[Smile]

TillerTech

Region: SoPac
Car #: na
Year : 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Now that you have the Aero pin catches, you need a 4# hood to go with them. Available primered ready for paint or clearcoat so you can enjoy the CF look.

John

--------------------
Miata Race glass and CF from Legacy Molds. 4 1/2# CF Hood
http://www.jnent.net

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Blix:

Thanks

E

#1 (Plus Flush model--the ones that mount through the top of the hood, not the bottom)

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Put my Aerocatches in a few weeks ago. Unless you significantly relocate the typical pin mounting points, clearance requires that you install them narrow side up on an NA.

Easier to spot a "no latch" as rubber bushings fit over the pins and the hood rides high until they're latched.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

We installed our aerocatches in the LS1 car last night. I couldn't be happier with them, so far. Granted, all they've done is sit in the shop so far, but they are very, very trick looking, and they work beautifully.

-

-

Aaron is going to wire up a small switch and a warning light on the dash so the driver can see if the hood is latched closed or open. So, NO EXCUSES for going on track with the hood unlatched!

Cheers,

Dean

--------------------
www.molaps.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: