Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Interior/cage paint?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Interior/cage paint?
misterwaterfallin

Region: Northwest
Car #: 07
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am planning on painting the interior of my car over the next week or so, and am curious as to what most of you guys have used. I have a gun set up available to me as well, if that is the best method to go. I have seen a few people use brush on Rustoleum yielding good results, and this seems to be the easiest method if I could get it to look good on the metal and the cage.
any thoughts?
edit: Im looking to paint it white if that matters but im not set of that

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rust-oleum Hammered, Grey, in a spray can. It comes out looking great. Hides small imperfections. Easy to touch up.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=21&SBL=1

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

Dan Cooper Verified Driver

Region: San Francisco
Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dan Cooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I used 7 cans of semi-gloss white Rustoleum. Spray on. The semi gloss makes cleaning pretty simple and havn't had any issues with it peeling off. Took just a couple hours one afternoon and dries very quickly.

--------------------
Dan
--
Green Miata #35
Integriteam/Integratis

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Brush on the Rustoleum and then top coat it with the Rustoleum spray to even out the brush marks.

--------------------
Paul McLester

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Brush on the Rustoleum and then top coat it with the Rustoleum spray to even out the brush marks.

That's what I did as well.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

OMNI single stage BMW Alpine white in both of my cars. A LOT more work then just a rattle can though. On my first car I used rattle can Rustoleum Professional and it came out pretty good.

misterwaterfallin

Car #: 07
Icon 1 posted  Profile for misterwaterfallin     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

I think that's what Im going to try. Did you guys do anything special to try to help cut down on the heat on the drivers side floor pan ad trans tunnel area?

--------------------
-Mathew Waterfall
Number 07 SM
Red/black/mud

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No.

--------------------
Paul McLester

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by misterwaterfallin:
quote:

I think that's what Im going to try. Did you guys do anything special to try to help cut down on the heat on the drivers side floor pan ad trans tunnel area?
Lizard Skin

http://www.lizardskin.com/

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

Dusty Bottoms Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
99 all the way!

Region: Lone Star
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dusty Bottoms     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by 38BFAST:
quote:
Originally posted by misterwaterfallin:
quote:

Lizard Skin

http://www.lizardskin.com/

I used something similar but left a small square unpainted to see if I cold tell a difference in temperature. I couldn't. On my next car I may put some of that gold foil on the outside of the transmission tunnel to cut the heat down.

--------------------
"Your victory is tainted! Asterisk! Asterisk!!!"--Lisa Simpson

evojim

Icon 1 posted  Profile for evojim     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm thinking of painting mine white or light gray so my car doesn't become a skillet in the hot Texas sun. Anyone have any problems with glare using white paint?

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In a previous thread Dave W. said he paints the inside of all his cars white. Mine is painted a faux stainless steel appliance paint (aka poor mans chrome) which you'd think would be the worst for glare but I never have a problem with it personally provided I keep the inside of the rear window clean.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Sean Allen Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 54!
Year : 90'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Allen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No glare problem for me with white paint.

GROOTS

Region: NY
Car #: 48
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for GROOTS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have no problem with the White interior [duck]

--------------------
JEFF GRUTER
SM #48
EXCELL MOTORSPORTS
PARAMOUNT TOOL & EQUIPTMENT http://www.ptetool.com/

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

White interior here EXCEPT for the rear deck; it is painted flat black.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Mine is white and does fine in the Florida sun!

--------------------
Paul McLester

darmstrong Verified Driver

Region: sediv
Car #: 66
Icon 1 posted  Profile for darmstrong     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

White brush on Rustoleum here in NC as well.

Dave

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rustoleum with a 4" roller then spray or brush the areas it doesn't reach
Semi gloss works well for touch-ups

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

evojim

Icon 1 posted  Profile for evojim     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great, then it will be white for me too. Thanks!

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Teamfour:
White interior here EXCEPT for the rear deck; it is painted flat black.

I used rattle cans, silver to match the sliver in the tub already, I will have to look to see how much glare that produces, I assume you like that flat black. I was thinking of using that paint they sell as a PU bed liner its black with texture and is hard as a rock for the rear deck.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Ken Nesbit

Region: WDCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Nesbit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I actually run an FP Miata, so the difference is the cage is out in the elements, but what I've found that works real well is Dupli-Color wheel paint. It comes out looking real nice and it's got a hard finish to minimize dings and scratches. On mine, I go over it with the same wheel paint in clear for a little more protection.

GROOTS

Region: NY
Car #: 48
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for GROOTS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dupli-color sounds good. We used the gloss white rustoleum with a brush then sprayed over it when the brush coat was tackey. Worked well.
this method came from Wheelers book. The only drawback with rustoleum is that it not that hard when fully cured. it scratches. But easily touched up. [yep]

--------------------
JEFF GRUTER
SM #48
EXCELL MOTORSPORTS
PARAMOUNT TOOL & EQUIPTMENT http://www.ptetool.com/

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: