Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Need new battery -

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Need new battery -
W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Battery is toast on my sons newly purchased '91. Going to swap the battery from my Spec and get a new one for the race car. Current battery is an Interstate. One from my sons is a OEM Mazda battery.

Can't find anything in search. What are some options considering weight, cost and availability?

Seems a couple at my local autoparts stores are made by Johnson and weigh anywhere from 20.5 to 24 lbs wet and priced $125-$135.

Thanks!

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

dsrgr Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Las Vegas
Car #: 2
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dsrgr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I recently found Pap boys carries a Bosch Miata Battery. Otherwise autozone sells one for the Miata

Rick Fawthrop

Region: Norpac
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rick Fawthrop     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use an Interstate MT-MX-5 battery.
I bought a new one but did not look at the invoice.
According to the spec sheet it is 21 lbs.
You can go to the Interstate web site and punch in your zip code for the nearest dealer.

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i use a lawn mower battery $24.00

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Autozone one is about $90. The Panasonic one straight from Mazda Comp is even less but unfortunately they don't actually ship them so they go on backorder indefinately. Some companies actually sell AND ship the Westco battery. You can also get one in Tacoma from Batteries Plus.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Shop Teacher:
i use a lawn mower battery $24.00

Me too, anything over 230cca. My current one is 5 years old.

W. Bonsell

Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A lawn mower battery?? Really?? Mazda spec battery is 370 cca I believe. Any special care and feeding required to maintain a mower battery with 230 cca?

Any special one with respect to size? Would need to fit pretty much like the factory one I would suspect.

Sure like the price!!! [yep]

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They make a lawn mower battery with 400+ CCA and only cost about 30.00 dollars. Same size as the Mazda original equipment

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is it the same weight though?

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

Shop Teacher

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

yes they look and weight the same. Save a bunch of money and take the lil women out to dinner. Win win

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Joe Oliveira

Region: South Carolina Region
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joe Oliveira   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Where do you buy this 400CCA+ $30 battery and what brand is it?

--------------------
Joe

oem steve

Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I may have to look into that,I saw where they were putting motorcycle batteries in these things for I think auto cross, (not legal in SM). I didn't think they would crank the car but they do.

--------------------

Shop Teacher

Always one in the bunch

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Shop Teacher

You only need 200cca to run a miata

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Mike Van Eepoel

Region: CFR
Car #: 35
Year : 94 (in progress)
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Van Eepoel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I went with the MX-5 battery from Interstate.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Search.aspx/Aut...246-4294492430-2147384750

--------------------
Mike V.

W. Bonsell

Deciding it best to have a "real" battery, I'm getting the Interstate from Firestone and it's priced at $89.00 - considerably less than Autozone, Napa, etc.

Something about putting a lawn mower battery in my car just didn't seem right!. As for taking the wife out to dinner with the money I could have saved, she'll never know!!

Thanks for the advise guys ---

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

spdmonkey Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 08
Icon 1 posted  Profile for spdmonkey     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don't waste money on an Autozone battery. I went thru 3 in 3 years. Each lasting about 1 year and then totaly discharged and would not take any charge. They quit giving me new ones as the sides of the ones I was returning were caving in. Really weird. I got one at advance auto parts and it works well after a year. takes a charge and holds a charge....
YMMV

db

Wreckerboy Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: SSM 53 "Lola"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Wreckerboy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I found that I started having battery problems as soon as the car transitioned from daily driver to track only use. The OE battery lasted ten years, the second lasted three as a driver and its replacement lasted less than two during intermittant use. I invested in a Battery Tender and now leave the car plugged in at all times when it's in the garage. Currently on year four with no problems.

The Tender is mounted on a rafter above the car so that it is out of the way. I purchased the extra long extension cord for it so that it can reach the car no matter how I park in my "huge" 16 x 20 shop.

--------------------
Rob Myles
Hero To The Momentum Impaired

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think I remember some discussion of the Wheeler kill switch method that there's a small current being drawn off the battery somewhere that will drain the battery if it sits for a couple months. I don't remember the details.

I think a lot of people lost batteries this winter. They don't like being completely discharged and then frozen I guess. [nope]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

NV Racer Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for NV Racer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by spdmonkey:
Don't waste money on an Autozone battery. I went thru 3 in 3 years.
db

I have been using an Autozone battery for 3 years no issues. I start the car once a month to keep things fresh. In my work truck I average a Interstate battery a year. If your battery is losing charge while not in use you need to look for an issue.

Dennis

oem steve

just called the dealership and they gave me a price of $88.00 from the parts dept.

--------------------

SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I know this thread is a little old. So 200CCA is what is needed to start a Miata, correct?
How about this battery:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/YSA-YB14A-A2/?rtype=10
Only $54.95 plus the battery acid $8.99 plus shipping
It plays the happy medium between lawnmower and car battery.
Also, Al how are you attaching to the battery terminals on the lawnmower battery?
I am thinking of going lawnmower battery as long as I stay away from the maximum battery weight.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Shop Teacher

When you build a Spec you will need to add new battery cables. I buid my own and use differant ends. I use large eye ends.
A

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don't get too carried away. Best read the GCR first:

"Batteries may be replaced with those of an alternate manufacturer, provided they are of similar amp-hour capacity, size, and weight, and are fitted in the standard location. Additional battery hold-down devices may be used and are strongly recommended."

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

SCCA_Racer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mark, define "similar":
+or- ?? inches,
+or- ?? pounds,
+or- ?? Amp hours
I want to make sure to use everything in the GCR to its maximum potential.
I searched the Appendix and it does not have anything defining similar.

Here is what www.merriam-webster.com says about similar:
Main Entry: sim·i·lar
Pronunciation: \ˈsi-mə-lər, ˈsim-lər\
Function: adjective
Etymology: French similaire, from Latin similis like, similar — more at same
Date: 1611

1 : having characteristics in common : strictly comparable
2 : alike in substance or essentials : corresponding
3 : not differing in shape but only in size or position

— sim·i·lar·ly adverb
synonyms similar, analogous, parallel mean closely resembling each other. similar implies the possibility of being mistaken for each other . analogous applies to things belonging in essentially different categories but nevertheless having many similarities . parallel suggests a marked likeness in the development of two things .

I am not trying to start anything, but I do want to have the best battery for the car as allowed in the GCR.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don't ask me. My opinion won't matter. There are stewards who would be glad to help I am sure.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bought an AutoZone battery three years ago. Crapped-out on me at Nelson this June. Drove about 5 miles to the Warren, OH AutoZone, which replaced it for free. Currently that's a 2-for-1 deal. I figure when the new one goes out I'll return it again. Perpetual battery supply.

I'll also keep a Battery Tender on it between events. Supposedly that will extend battery life. Who knows.

Dr.Dan Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
V8, nice! And good for you too!

Region: san francisco region
Car #: 39
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dr.Dan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

oem and 5+years now. But I will ask my nephew what he thinks. He's in the battery biz. I'll let you know.

--------------------
Daniel Mairani DDS...still here, just faster.
http://www.DanielMairanidds.com

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by d mathias:
Bought an AutoZone battery three years ago. Crapped-out on me at Nelson this June.

...Must be something in the NL water! When I arrived at the June race this year, my battery gave it up on the trailer. That was followed by the diff on Saturday and fourth gear on Sunday. Memo to self. Avoid NL.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just replaced my Mazda OEM battery with an Autozone. The oem was dated 10-01-01.

--------------------
Paul McLester

SCCA_Racer

My one car is running on the battery out of a lawn mower. My other car needs a battery as I bought it without one.
Here is a battery at AutoZone but I have to change my terminals which is not a problem.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Lawn...r=65580_0_0_&sortType=low

--------------------
Joshua Fine
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You can get the same lawn mower batter at Sams Club, but with 500 Amps for about 29.00

Pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: