Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Best Chassis to Build NA, NB, or NC for Spec Miata

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Best Chassis to Build NA, NB, or NC for Spec Miata
SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I want to open the can of worms and see which chassis each of you recommends building if you had choice of the three. [help] I did a few searches of the forum and did not find anthing matching this question. Also, what options would you be looking for on a car to start a build from?
I know from the rule book that certain parts are allowed on certain years and not on others, so with all of you out there having many years of seat time which chassis, year, and options would you start with?
Try to keep from flaming each other [shame] and focus on the car instead [thumbsup] .
Thanks for the help. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Joshua, The NC is not allowed in Spec Miata. The cars are all VERY equal. Some claim an NB '99 is the way to go. I would start with the cheapest, rust free, straight (never been in a crash) car that you can find.

I think in SFR you have some kind of SSM. I would look into that and then target a '90-'93.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So, I'll be the one to say it. Unless you really get off on building, you are waaaaay better off buying a good, already built, Spec Miata. Threads about that can be found dating back what seems like a decade.
wheel

Todd Lamb Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champion 2009

Region: SE Div, Atlanta
Car #: EddieFur
Year : Party like it's ____
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Todd Lamb   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

--------------------
Mazdaspeed // SafeRacer // Traqmate // OPM Autosports // East Street Auto // Cobalt Friction
Racers Edge Motorsports Rolex GT RX-8 // i-MOTO Racing Conti Challenge MAZDASPEED3
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/toddspeed

SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My mistake on the NC as I have been reading so much thank I blurred it into SpecMiata.
I am looking a SealedSpecMiata since is a little cheaper, but I do not want that to limit which car I choose.
Wheel, I have my own shop, so building a car is not a mechanic issue as I can handle everything except the cage.
I had heard 99, but does somebody want to share why? I drove 91 SSM car for school, so I know what the NA chassis and motor are like.
I have done some pricing and for a 90-93 street car w/o hardtop build and it would cost around $8,000 to convert with all my labor donated.
Maybe I should have changed this thread to say, "What order would you put the preferred years in for a build?"
Keep the replies coming...

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The general concensus from the East coast would be 99 as Todd points out. The far West coast has been dominated by the 1.6 and the 94 (When Hooverspeed was in town), probably not so much because of chassis capability, but more so becuase of knowledge and development over years. There are some track specific benefits to each of the years, but the fact is that when folks concentrate development efforts on a particular chassis (99 East, and 1.6 West) and the best drivers drive those cars that have benefited from the concetrated development, the results will show what you would expect to see.

Long winded way to say it depends on a few factors, so go with what you think you can logically take to the highest level of prep given your resources both monetarilly and accumulated knowledge of those around you.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Eric Richter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: So Cal
Car #: #29
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Richter     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You'll have fun no matter which one you choose.

--------------------
2009 SoCal SCCA SM Champion
"Only boring people get bored"

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

build a 99 or you will hate your self just like i do now.

Sean Yepez Verified Driver
Team Keeblerspeed

Region: SF
Car #: 94
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sean Yepez     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For now, '99.

--------------------
2008 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

Gold Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sean,

Doesn't mean much (per my statement above), but has a 99 ever won in SFR. I'm almost positive none have won in WA or OR.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Greg Bush Verified Driver
Thread Killer

Region: NW/OR
Car #: 04
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Bush     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I think Ed won once in a '99 a few years ago at Pacific Raceways.

I think it was raining and the rest of us crashed or went home.

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

NC ftw

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

you can run the NC in ARRC [Smile]

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

Greg Arsenault Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: 54
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Arsenault     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by wheel:
So, I'll be the one to say it. Unless you really get off on building, you are waaaaay better off buying a good, already built, Spec Miata. Threads about that can be found dating back what seems like a decade.
wheel

I had a great time building mine and learned much about the car. I tell myself it makes me a better driver but who knows...

JIM DANIELS

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
Sean,

Doesn't mean much (per my statement above), but has a 99 ever won in SFR. I'm almost positive none have won in WA or OR.

-bw

A 99 did win the 25 hour in NASA, it was kind of fast with a good east coast driver line up. [Wink]

Not sure the lap times but think they were ok [Big Grin]

sdewey Verified Driver
the true 2004 East Coast MiataCup Champ

Region: Washington DC
Car #: 32, 19, 8
Year : 1990 SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for sdewey   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So is 1 driver still considered a lineup [Wink]

--------------------
-shawn dewey
Dewspeed Motorsports

Gold Member

quote:
Originally posted by JIM DANIELS:
quote:
Originally posted by B Wilson:
Sean,

-bw

A 99 did win the 25 hour in NASA, it was kind of fast with a good east coast driver line up. [Wink]

Not sure the lap times but think they were ok [Big Grin]

thanks a lot for reminding me Jim [Frown]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: