» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Radiators

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Radiators
Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My overheating/whatever issues, robbing huge power, which took up most of last summer and all winter, seem to be resolved.

But now I'm thinking about then it gets hot again, maybe I should have more cooling than my thin Koyo provides.

As I understand it, the fat Koyo goes in easily, while the SD is more of a PITA. But the SD apparently is a more efficient cooler.

Is this about right?

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Both the fat Koyo and SD will require some trimming of the fan shroud to clear the swaybar. The Koyo can use stock hoses, trimmed. The SD will need some aftermarket hoses, at least the upper. The Koyo uses the stock radiator 'ears'. The SD does not, but requires a bit of finagling to get in place as it uses 'all' of the real estate available. The SD is probably 10-15% better than the Koyo in terms of cooling. Given the price premium of the SD, and the fact that you are in the PNW, are you sure you need it? That 10-15% is critical down here in Socal as ambient temps can reach 110 or more in the summer and early fall races.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 94
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mark, unless you plan to bump draft for laps on end in the heat of the summer, I'd get the thick Koyo and save some money. It worked great for me for years. When it came time for a new rad I decided to try the SD. The SD will still get hot under those conditions but it takes a little longer and seems recover a little quicker than the Koyo.

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Buy a CXracing on Ebay and save a lot of money. I am at 180-185 in the Florida heat and it fit perfectly. It has also survived two front collisions with no damage.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks all (especially Ken). I've ordered a fat Koyo.

Kyle Freiheit

Region: NWR
Car #: #78 sorry Terrell
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Freiheit     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yeah.. the cxracing seems to be a Fat Koyo copy, thats what I run.

Kyle

Scottie

Region: WDCR
Car #: sm 19
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scottie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 for cx racing. i run it

Scottie

--------------------
How do I fit this ls7 into my mia... nevermind.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is it just the 1.6 that has trouble fitting the big Koyo? I thought mine was a SOB the first time I installed it but after I figured out how to slide it in just right it's a non issue.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Veteran Member

I have vague memories of putting Bruce's fat Koyo in my car at the July races at PIR when I was overheating, and not finding it to be a problem. I'll let you know how this one goes in when it and the hotter weather arrive.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: