Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Best 15 x 7 Wheels

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Best 15 x 7 Wheels
SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am in the researching process for what to get to build my car.
My current question is about rims.
What are the best rims that meet the Min 13#s requirement but also hold up well in an "off"
I see lots of Team Dynamics rims but few of other brands.
Please give me your feedback on the best 15x7 13# rims.
Thanks,
(I did try the search but did not really find anything.)

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Joe Specht

Region: BMR
Car #: 236
Year : 83
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joe Specht   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The goal is to not go off. That's like going out to get drunk, you already lost the war.
The Team Dynamics hold up very well but they all have their limitations.
Joe

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just my non-expert opinion: buy wheels that are plentiful and easy to get. Don't buy an "orphan" set of wheels (out of production) or something that is not very common or easy to find. If and when you damage a wheel, you want to be able to get a single replacement wheel quickly at a reasonable price. TD wheels seem to fit this criteria nicely.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Kosei K1 Racing wheel is always in stock at Tire Rack, and cheap. I always get them the day after I place the order.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Greg Arsenault Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: 54
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Arsenault     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Specht:
The goal is to not go off. That's like going out to get drunk, you already lost the war.
The Team Dynamics hold up very well but they all have their limitations.
Joe

[tipsy]

SCCA_Racer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Specht:
The goal is to not go off.

Ok, ok, I was just using that as an example of abuse on the wheel. What about Rota Wheels?

--------------------
Joshua Fine
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

A # heavier. I have some, I like them.
J~

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Rota wheels are notorious for failing spectacularly.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Hot Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kent Carter:
Rota wheels are notorious for failing spectacularly.

Great. (not really)
As you can see I got my TD's.
My Roto's are backups/rains.

Always good to be running with in the back of your mind "Failing Spectacularly".
J~

Pat Newton Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Enduro addict

Region: Northwest, Oregon
Car #: 79
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Pat Newton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Got any data on that Kent, specifically on Rota failures in the 15-inch size? We ran Rota RBs on two cars in the 2007 25-Hour and had zero problems.

--------------------
Crew Chief, 3D Racing #64, aka Team Scrappy 2.0
3rd place E2, 2009 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Crew Chief, EGR/Miller Motorsports #64, aka Team Scrappy
E2 Champions, 2008 25 Hours of Thunderhill

David_LB

Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David_LB   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I will be going with these:

http://949racing.com/15x7-6UL-wheels.aspx

--------------------
LB Motorsports

Hot Member

quote:
Originally posted by David_LB:
I will be going with these:

http://949racing.com/15x7-6UL-wheels.aspx

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, there too light and wrong offset for SM.
J~

PedalFaster Verified Driver

Region: Northwest
Car #: 86
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PedalFaster     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Right - those aren't legal for SM. 949 Racing made a small batch of SM-legal ones, but stopped production due to lack of demand.

--------------------
Stephen Hui - '95 SM #86, Northwest / Oregon Region SCCA

Hot Member

In SFR I got my TDs at AIM.
http://www.aimtire.com/typ_product.asp?ObjectID=6643
J~

Future Never Has Been

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Newton:
Got any data on that Kent, specifically on Rota failures in the 15-inch size? We ran Rota RBs on two cars in the 2007 25-Hour and had zero problems.

Nope... just personally pushed the broom after a Rota wheel shattered on an AX car. Pulling Rota wheels and checking for casting defects on the back of the spokes became part of Houston Region's autocross tech procedures for a while after we had a spectacular failure and inspection showed defects in all 4 Rotas on the car. They have quite the reputation in autocross, Pat. A wheel had the center come out of it at MSRH a couple of weeks ago on a C6, rumor was it was a Rota Battle, but I didn't get to see the wheel in person.

Would be nice if a database of failure reports existed, but all I have is my personal experience.

I have seen center section failures on the old TD P1's (The Ben Hur wheels), but nothing but bending incidents on the later designs. I know of one 949 that failed big time here in Texas and we know of no contact that preceded it.

You know.... a failure report section on a major racing website sounds like a good idea to me.

--------------------

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TR6:
Just my non-expert opinion: buy wheels that are plentiful and easy to get. Don't buy an "orphan" set of wheels (out of production) or something that is not very common or easy to find. If and when you damage a wheel, you want to be able to get a single replacement wheel quickly at a reasonable price. TD wheels seem to fit this criteria nicely.

I agree!!!! Anyone need 3 TD-1's....

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Apex to Apex

Region: NASA Mid-West
Car #: 077
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I saw a quite a few TD wheels in my paddock so I went for the TD Pro 1.2's. I was going to get the 1.3's cuz they were cheaper, but then I found out that were cast in China. I talked with the TD rep and he said they are moving all production to the UK. So if that is important to you, ask where they are cast.

I have my first event coming up next weekend at Putnam. I'll let you know how I like them. I suppose the measure of a good wheel is one that stands up to torture (if you occasionally go into agriculture mode), and won't fail catastrophically.

--------------------
"Driving is a serious business" - John Milner, 'American Graffiti'

motorrock

Region: DC Region
Icon 1 posted  Profile for motorrock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

D-Force.....

The only Spec Miata wheel that is low pressure cast, not gravity cast.....

--------------------
philstireservice.com
philstireservice@aol.com

David_LB

Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David_LB   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by PedalFaster:
Right - those aren't legal for SM. 949 Racing made a small batch of SM-legal ones, but stopped production due to lack of demand.

Just my luck. How difficult do you think a set of the SM legal ones will be to track down?

--------------------
LB Motorsports

Rob Burgoon Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rob Burgoon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Probably pretty difficult. However, they have another line of wheels coming out this summer that will be less expensive and possibly SM legal.

--------------------
It really makes my week when nobody crashes into me.

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by motorrock:
D-Force.....

What's the benefit of low pressure casting vs. gravity casting?

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
quote:
Originally posted by motorrock:
D-Force.....

What's the benefit of low pressure casting vs. gravity casting?
Answered my own question:

GRAVITY CASTING

Gravity casting is the most basic process of pouring molten aluminum into a mold utilizing the earth's gravity to fill the mold. Gravity casting offers a very reasonable production cost and is a good method for casting designs that are more visually oriented or when reducing weight is not a primary concern. Since the process relies on gravity to fill the mold, the aluminum is not as densely packed in the mold as some other casting processes. Often gravity cast wheels will have a higher weight to achieve the required strength.

LOW PRESSURE CASTING

Low pressure casting uses positive pressure to move the molten aluminum into the mold quicker and achieve a finished product that has improved mechanical properties (more dense) over a gravity cast wheel. Low-pressure casting has a slightly higher production cost over gravity casting. Low pressure is the most common process approved for aluminum wheels sold to the O.E.M. market. Low-pressure cast wheels offer a good value for the aftermarket as well. Some companies offer wheels that are produced under a higher pressure in special casting equipment to create a wheel that is lighter and stronger than a wheel produced in low pressure.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Future Never Has Been

... and then there are forged wheels.

--------------------

SCCA_Racer

Got to jump back in here guys. What about the offset? What meet the legal amount need to get the stated max in the GCR?
I have found a set of 15x7 35 offset but I think the 35 is too much. Am I right?

--------------------
Joshua Fine
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Kyle Keenan Verified Driver
Pass right

Region: OR, NWR
Car #: 44
SMIM: AIM: KKRProducts
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

With a 35mm offset, you can run a max of 10mm spacers if I remember right. Idea being, offset is spec at 25mm.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

SCCA_Racer

Ok so I checked and 13mm spacer is the max. Therefore adding a 10mm spacer will be fine to get to a 25 mm, right?
I need to know as I want to get the rims I found. If I am wrong then pleas let me know.ASAP

--------------------
Joshua Fine
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Pass right

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Keenan   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes sir.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Your Good to go Joshua.

-b

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Hot Member

Do you need the longer studs to run the spacers and the wheels?
J~

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, you do do need longer studs for spacers. Good call.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Fine:
Ok so I checked and 13mm spacer is the max. Therefore adding a 10mm spacer will be fine to get to a 25 mm, right?
I need to know as I want to get the rims I found. If I am wrong then pleas let me know.ASAP

What wheel did you end up getting, Joshua?

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2008/2009 WERC Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Sphinx Verified Driver
M. Yusuf Mohamed

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Sphinx     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I saw these last night in a magazine. Even though they are 30mm, I don't remember anyone here trying them:

TR Motorsports 15x7"

Anyone?

--------------------
Sphinx Racing
Atlanta Region
http://www.sphinxracing.com
http://www.layersdesserts.com
Support our racing efforts by shopping at your favorite online merchants at SphinxRacing.com!

Viet-Tam Luu
Slow

Region: San Francisco Region
Car #: 14
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Viet-Tam Luu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Sphinx:
I saw these last night in a magazine. Even though they are 30mm, I don't remember anyone here trying them:

TR Motorsports 15x7"

Anyone?

I've got two sets I run on my ITS car, even though I'm not limited to 13-lb wheels. 13.0 lbs, +30mm offset, hub-centric without any centering rings, and best of all $89 a pop, what's not to like?

Sure I could lose 3-4 lbs of unsprung weight per corner but I'm already running ballast, and I "consume" wheels at too high a rate to be spending $200 a corner on them.

--------------------
Viet-Tam Luu (a.k.a. "Tam")
SFR-SCCA #14 ITS
Director, SCCA San Francisco Region

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

TR Motorsports 15x7"

Anyone?

Yup, we have run them since they came out with great results, there may be an ad in the classifieds with those wheels and tires.

Strong as any other wheel and they do have limits same as any other wheel

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:

TR Motorsports 15x7"

Anyone?

So can you run those straight up, or do you need a spacer? if so, what size?

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

Pass right

5mm spacer to be right at the limit.

--------------------
Driver, #44 Spec Miata
ColdTrackDays.com

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I run a set of the TR Motorsport 30 offsets. I think they look great, have held up well, have double valve stems and are priced right. No compaints, but I haven't smashed anything yet!

Bill

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

SCCA_Racer

Never mind as I answered my own question by reading the posts in reverse order since the is not a "view first unread" button.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

iambhooper

Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So, If I'm reading this all correct... 25mm is the ideal offset? If you have 30mm rim's, that require's a 5mm spacer to reset the offset to 25? a 38mm rim requires a 13mm spacer?

if that is the case, why buy a larger offset if you have to use a spacer? I guess I'm just not getting it.

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'06 RSX Type S

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Some people will use say a 30mm offset and use the spacer system as tuning from track to track.

SCCA_Racer

Also, price point comes into play when you can get a 30mm for $50 to $100 cheaper than a 25mm.

I am going to be running the TR Motorsports also. I contacted TireRack about them and there is an actual weight difference quoted by TR Motorsports per each color offered. I will be going with the 13# color and painting them my color scheme.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by iambhooper:
So, If I'm reading this all correct... 25mm is the ideal offset? If you have 30mm rim's, that require's a 5mm spacer to reset the offset to 25? a 38mm rim requires a 13mm spacer?

if that is the case, why buy a larger offset if you have to use a spacer? I guess I'm just not getting it.

Realize most wheels are manufactured for the street. 38 is a standard offset and allows most street cars(Miata's) to be lowered without worrying about tire rub...or the need to roll fenders. Not that long ago 25mm offset was very uncommon to find a manufactuer making...so people utilized spacers to get what they had as close to 25mm as possible. 10mm spacer is the max you can use BTW(I think?).
Now you have a lot more wheels offered in the 25mm and 13 lbs. so your right...if your going to buy new you really don't need to consider other offsets. But if someone offers you a set of free 38mm...be ready to buy spacers and longer studs...you'll be money ahead [Smile]

BTW...we bought Team Dynamics and the price for 25mm or 30mm was the same

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

13mm is max allowed... because of all the 38mm wheels.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

iambhooper

ok, so here is where I'm having some issues... how does a 30mm offset and 5mm spacer equal 25 mm?

Also, and maybe first off, what is the easiest way to cipher offset? I've looked a couple of the website's and if I'm doing it right x minus t equal's either like 1 1/8". :spinninghead:

If I could figure this out, I could likely get by ordering 1 rim for now (I have 2 set's w different offset's and 1 warped/bent/f'd rim). The complete set's mounting surface is deeper in the wheel... what does that tell me?

Thanks!
hoop

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'06 RSX Type S

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Smaller the offset # the farther the wheel moves out. The measurement is taken from the CL of the wheel to the mounting surface. Most all wheels are stamped with the offset!

BW...thanks for the correction...wasn't sure! I guess I could have looked back up the thread...dah!

[ 09-23-2010, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Ron Alan ]

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."

iambhooper

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Alan:
Smaller the offset # the farther the wheel moves out. The measurement is taken from the CL of the wheel to the mounting surface. Most all wheels are stamped with the offset!

Thanks! That makes sense and explain's why the spacer is used with the larger offset. It also helps me understand that the one complete set I have is 25mm, and I only need to order 1 30mm to complete the set w the bent rim.

Question... now that I realize I have 2 set's w different offsets, what would the affect be of rinning 30mm on the front and one rear, and 25mm on the other rear? Yes, apparently I did this last may [Big Grin]

hoop

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'06 RSX Type S

Racing it's not legal. Track day would be fine but not ideal obviously. When you say deeper in the wheel you are saying from the outside in...correct?

--------------------
-RA

iambhooper

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Alan:
Racing it's not legal.

it wasn't a question of legality, more on how/what it does to handeling/setup. Since it was my only outing, and I didn't know what I had done ( and everything was creepy anyway (I ome from a FWD background)).

hoop

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'06 RSX Type S

Hoop,

Never done it so I couldn't answer your question. But your talking about 1/4" so I can't imagine it will change the car much...especially if your still figuring out the rear wheel drive car.

--------------------
-RA

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'll pass along the same explanation I got from a friend who crawled under my car and made some tweaks to my suspension to help fix a nasty handling problem... What will it do? Change the handling. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: