Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » 94-97 front swaybar

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: 94-97 front swaybar
Jay Lutz

Region: Indy
Car #: 33
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Lutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The 90-93 sway bar has 2 lever arm positions....hard (7.75" from bar axis) and soft (8.50" from bar axis). Which of the two lever arm lengths does the non adjustable 94-97 bar work at? I'm assuming it is one of these 2 but that might not be the case. Thanks, Jay

--------------------
"In our sport if you go out of bounds you're most likely not coming back" Michael Waltrip

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 94
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Being a non-adjustable bar, I'd think it would be in the middle of those two adjustments for an optimum angle to the mount on the control arm.

The difference from the early bar is in the diameter, not the length of the lever arm.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just measured mine and the distance from the center of the bar to the link hole is 10.5". If I measured and did the math right, that's the equivalent of the thinner bar set at about 6.56" ...really stiff

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Jay Lutz

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Lutz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

thanks but this should be the distance from the centerline of the bar axis to the centerline of the bolt hole......measured ONLY in the longitudinal direction....ie front of car to back of car. Keith......is that how you measured it? Thanks, Jay

--------------------
"In our sport if you go out of bounds you're most likely not coming back" Michael Waltrip

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Pretty close. I measured it CL of the bar to CL of the bolt hole directly along the lever arm. The car is sitting on the trailer so it's sort of hard to get under there. The arm is pretty close to horizontal so the difference in distance will be small. The error will be a few % but not a heck of a lot.

Glad I looked again.. My sway bar is pretty much riding on my upper control arm. That's not good.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Jay Lutz

Keith,

Instead of measuring along the lever arm itself you should measure on a line parallel to the centerline of the car in a direct front to back direction....this distance will be considerably shorter than 10.5". The link end will be a point in space with nothing around it so you'll have to guess a bit. Is that how you did it?

thanks, Jay

PS- do you know the diameter of the bolts that hold the swaybar to its bracket....maybe 10mm?

--------------------

Jay Lutz

Imagine that you dropped plumb bobs from both link centerlines and then pulled a string between them left to right. measure from this line to the cenline of the swaybar between the mounts....also left to right. the 2 lines should be parallel to one another. This is the "effective arm length" for the swaybar. Thanks,Jay

--------------------

Pack Fodder

I didn't do it that way since the arms are close to horizontal and the car is on the trailer. [Smile] The error in how I measured should still be far less than the stiffness difference of the bar. A 27mm solid bar has 1.6x the torsional stiffness of a 24mm bar. It takes a pretty long lever arm to make up for that.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Jay Lutz

Keith, yeah that's true. I'll give eibach a call to see if they can help me. Thanks, Jay

--------------------

Jay Lutz

Would anyone else be able to make the measurement??? maybe someone is building a new car or has the bar out for some reason. Thanks, Jay

--------------------

Jay Lutz

Thanks to all... I now have all the measurements that I was seeking. Jay

--------------------

Scott Malbon Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Blue Ridge Region (103), SEDiv
Car #: 52
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scott Malbon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jay,

I found two suppliers who sell just the front bar. But there are two part numbers for a 27 mm bar, one if you search for a 93 car and another if you search for the 94. But the description of the bar is the same. My question is, assuming they are different, which is the one SCCA intends for us to use. I don't know which is in the 1.6 suspension package, which is what the regs say we should use.

Scott

Pack Fodder

The Eibach part number of the front bar for a 1.6 is 5517.310.

If you google that part number you'll find a bunch of places that sell them from about $116 to $160. I found the best price with free shipping at Autoanything dot com and if you google the name of that site, you can find codes for 10% off.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Jay Lutz

Keith, there is also a $10 rebate in effect right now from Eibach.

--------------------

Mark Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Eibach catalog shows a 24 mm bar available for the 90-93 and a different part number for the 94-97 24 mm bar. The 24 mm bar for the 94-97 (5515.310) car has a lever arm that is 20 mm longer than the 90-93 (5517.310) bar making it softer otherwise the two bars are identical. My understanding is that the SCCA wants us to use the 90-93 bar (5517.310) as that is what is included in the 90-93 kit. It would be easy to make an error and order the wrong bar if you were using a part selector based on year of car vs specifying a part number when ordering.

I am waiting until NASA approves the change before switching.

--------------------
Mark
http://www.ironcanyonmotorsports.com

Pack Fodder

Awesome, thanks Jay.

On a side note, a friend tried to switch over the bar his 1.8 and found that whatever end links he was using were too short. I have some endlinks that I bought from I forget where and also some Mazda comp ones and the Mazda ones are much longer. If you do run into the same problem, know that the Mazda links are plenty long enough.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Jay Lutz

Thanks Keith,

I hadn't heard about the short links so I will be sure to have plenty of aluminum hex stock, drill bits, tap set(left and right hand 3/8-24 tap) and a lathe available in case I need to make new links. I will be installing my bar next weekend.

Thanks, Jay

BTW- Eibach PN 5517.310 is positively the correct PN for SMers looking to change to the 1.6L front swaybar

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: