Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Pads and Rotors

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Pads and Rotors
mghenwood

Region: Northeast
Car #: 58
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mghenwood     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am going to be racing in the upcoming 12 hour enduro, The Devil in the Dark. I will need to get new brake pads and rotors on the car prior to the race. I have heard about Hawk Blues and Carbotech's, which are best and where can I get them the cheapest?
Also is there a big difference between the OEM Mazdaspeed rotors and the after markets that go for much cheaper? Where should I source these as well?
Running the car in SSM.

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

NAPA had a pretty good rotor for 19.00 Safe Racer has a pretty good deal on the Carbotech's

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

mghenwood

Icon 1 posted  Profile for mghenwood     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Will the carbotech's that saferacer sells pass SSM regs? The pictures of them show they are slotted rotors.

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

He meant NAPA blank rotors and Carbotech pads.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hawk Blues are superceded by the DTC-60 front and DTC-30 rear.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Frank Todaro

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by CP:
He meant NAPA blank rotors and Carbotech pads.

Thank you, that is what I was trying to say.

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Hawk Blues are superceded by the DTC-60 front and DTC-30 rear.

Paul can you expand on that, I love my blues, are you saying they are going to phase them out or just that this is the new pad that is better than the Blues?

--------------------
Frank

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They still make Blues and sell a lot of them, but the newer compound is the DTC compound. I raced a friends car last weekend at Homestead with Blues and had a hard time trail braking and couldn't modulate my brakes very well as compared to my car with the DTC pads. Whenever I hear someone say that they hate Hawk pads or switched to Carbotech or Cobalt or....they have been talking about the Blues and not the newer DTC compounds. I know that the OPM cars were running the DTC pads. I am using the HT-10 compound on the rears as my DTC-30's wore down a little quicker.

--------------------
Paul McLester

Mrs SpecHorsepower

Region: Southeast
Car #: 07
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mrs SpecHorsepower     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Go with the Carbotechs. XP10 up front XP8 in the rear

SamBarnett Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Region: NASA MA / SCCA CCR
Car #: 6
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SamBarnett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For once I agree with Nicole :-)

quote:
Originally posted by Mrs SpecHorsepower:
Go with the Carbotechs. XP10 up front XP8 in the rear

--------------------
Race Engineering - Championship Winning Engines
Carbotech Performance Brakes
CDOC

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Frank,

I would suggest staying away from the napa cheapy rotor, I just put a set on for my last race and had trouble stopping with them, almost like I was on backing plates. I put on my old rotors (carbotech oem replacements) and the problem went away. So if carbotech is your choice, save yourself some money and go with the carbotech xp10/xp8 combo with the carbotech oem replacement rotors. Can't speak much for hawks, haven't used them in 3 years.

Shoot me a message about Carbotech if you're interested in that route.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

ChrisA

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've had issues with the Carbotechs gumming up rotors with pad deposit. Found an alternative that works well for me and last longer. I've heard some good things about the Hawk DTCs but haven't tried them. For rotors I go with NAPA premiums or ultimates depending on what they have on hand.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

Frank Todaro

quote:
Originally posted by John A - 5x Racing:
Frank,

I would suggest staying away from the napa cheapy rotor, I just put a set on for my last race and had trouble stopping with them, almost like I was on backing plates. I put on my old rotors (carbotech oem replacements) and the problem went away. So if carbotech is your choice, save yourself some money and go with the carbotech xp10/xp8 combo with the carbotech oem replacement rotors. Can't speak much for hawks, haven't used them in 3 years.

Shoot me a message about Carbotech if you're interested in that route.

John, My first set of NAPA rotors I put 2000 track miles on them using Hawk Blues, and they still look good, I just ordered another set, because I wanted to try the Carbotech's and I wanted to start with a fresh rotor. The first set of rotors were made in Canada, this last set was made in China. I guess I will find out if that is the difference you were talking about.

--------------------
Frank

Nigel Stu Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 66
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nigel Stu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

One of my last cheepy rotors (Rock auto, I think $11 before shipping?) had some run-out right out of the box... felt just liked a year-end abused and warped rotor on the first lap!

I'll pay the few extra bucks for the more premium rotors.

Cobalt Friction are another good option - and if you need to do a swap in the middle of the race, don't require bed-in.

Contact me if you're interested in Cobalts.

--------------------
Ben Schaut
Schaut Speed Motorsports
GLDiv / WHRRI
#66 Blue/White/Black

Apex to Apex

Region: NASA Mid-West
Car #: 077
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've heard positive things about the Hawk DTC-30's. A guy I know in my paddock runs them at all 4 corners. I am now running the Blues and HT's, but my next set will be the DTC compound.

+1 on the NAPA blank rotor.

--------------------
"Driving is a serious business" - John Milner, 'American Graffiti'

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Latest "premium" rotor.

-

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Raybestos ST43 front and rear from Porterfield Brakes (949) 548-4470. Talk to Tim Gray and tell him Rob Gibson from RJ Racing sent you.

Lasted for the 25 Hours of Thunderhill with about 30% pad left on the fronts and the rears looked barely used. Better initial bite than Carbotechs but still good modulation. And they're cheaper.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

ChrisA

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Muda:
Latest "premium" rotor.

-

I didn't think you could run slotted rotors.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gibscreen:
Raybestos ST43 front and rear from Porterfield Brakes (949) 548-4470. Talk to Tim Gray and tell him Rob Gibson from RJ Racing sent you.

Lasted for the 25 Hours of Thunderhill with about 30% pad left on the fronts and the rears looked barely used. Better initial bite than Carbotechs but still good modulation. And they're cheaper.

+1 on the ST43's... I used them on my ITC car for years, awesome pad's! When I converted to ITB, I went back and tried the XP's... all I can say is I can't afford a set of pad's per weekend.

I've only rand the SM once, on a set of Blues. It was all or nothing with them... which forced me to brake a bit later than I may have otherwise chosen to do.

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Holy crap! How many sessions are you guys getting out of a set of brakes or rotors?

Muda - I trust you had those "slotted" ones on for a few more than a single race weekend...

Went with Carbotechs myself (10's on front, 8's rear) and a nice set of AutoZone specials for rotors. Did that last summer (July/August), managed to attend 8 days of HPDE's for 2009 and then a pair of SCCA schools this year with a single race and I'm still able to see the notch in the front pads!

Am I just not hitting the brakes hard enough (cuz I've locked things up a couple of times already this year at NHMS) or am I just "good"? [Razz]

I'll go with good thankyouverymuch! [duck]
Brandon

Anyone using an IR gun to take rotor temps? If I had rotors cracking like the photo I would definitely take some temps and discuss the compounds with the brake pad manufacturer. I am using NAPA premium with my DTC pads and have no cracks at all after a year.

--------------------
Paul McLester

SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We are talking NAPA 4886213 front rotors and 4886214 rear rotors.
I just picked mine up from NAPA today for $67.76 for all (4) rotor is my kind of cheap racing.
About pads I am running DTC-30 front and HT-10 rear on my 240SX and they seem to be great. I installed them after telling HAWK I was using the car at track days for fun.
I was going to use BLUE's but now I am still deciding and this thread is a great help.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

G. Davis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDC
Car #: 03
Icon 1 posted  Profile for G. Davis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
Anyone using an IR gun to take rotor temps? If I had rotors cracking like the photo I would definitely take some temps and discuss the compounds with the brake pad manufacturer. I am using NAPA premium with my DTC pads and have no cracks at all after a year.

Maybe a Summit Point thing. I have had some look like that too. They were the Carbotech rotors and XP-10 pads.

As far as 8 HDPE days and two schools and still seeing the wear notch... [Eek!]

I am getting between 2 and 3 race weekends out of a set of pads, depending on the qual/race format.

--------------------
--------------------

Glenn Davis

mghenwood

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?&make=B...0&autoModClar=&perfCode=P
Tire rack sells these brembos for $25 each. Anyone try these?

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've have some of those Brembos. The're identical to the $13 rotors I also have except for the price.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

SCCA_Racer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keeping with rotor theme.
I bought one set of Rotors from Kragen and Napa for my 240SX and found the Kragen rotor thinner on one face than the other. I will try to post a picture tonight so you can see what I mean. I will stay away from cheap Kragen rotors.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

mghenwood

Where does everyone order their Hawk DTC's from?

SCCA_Racer

I order mine from http://www.Porterfield-Brakes.com as they give SCCA members a discount. You may have to email them to get pricing on the DTC's as they are not on the website.
The other place is SummitRacing.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brandon F.:
Holy crap! How many sessions are you guys getting out of a set of brakes or rotors?

Muda - I trust you had those "slotted" ones on for a few more than a single race weekend...

Went with Carbotechs myself (10's on front, 8's rear) and a nice set of AutoZone specials for rotors. Did that last summer (July/August), managed to attend 8 days of HPDE's for 2009 and then a pair of SCCA schools this year with a single race and I'm still able to see the notch in the front pads!

Am I just not hitting the brakes hard enough (cuz I've locked things up a couple of times already this year at NHMS) or am I just "good"? [Razz]

I'll go with good thankyouverymuch! [duck]
Brandon

Rotors and pads last a long time when you lock them up...tires don't [duck]

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mazdaspeed carries them as well. Its always proper to help those that help our sport. [Wink]

Joshua

Region: SE
Car #: 76
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Joshua     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mghenwood:
Where does everyone order their Hawk DTC's from?

Jay Andrew at Andrew Racing

Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Well, just learned something this weekend at my second novice race (got signed off - YAY!).

The 1.6 NA's have significantly smaller rotors than the 1.8 NA's. I did not know that.

And those guys who are noting cracked rotors after a fairly small number of weekends I see are 90, 91...93...and they could also experience a less than stellar performance from the aftermarket (China sourced) rotors.

Gotta say, these AutoZone specials and the Carbotech's have been fantastic! Flipped my pads before qualifying on Sunday and hope to get at least 1 if not 2 more weekends out of them ; presuming practice, qualify, race per "weekend".

And to Monsieur Alan: touché

DTC's from http://www.Hawkpadsdirect.com

--------------------
Paul McLester

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: