Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » How lean is too lean?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: How lean is too lean?
Wes Saunders

Region: Florida
Year : '92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Wes Saunders     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My engine is at 14.3 @ 5,500 RPM gradually decreases to 13.0 by 6,200 and crosses the line at 7,300. I am obviously a little concerned at the lower RPM, how critical is it there? Plugs look good and brown with no signs of detonation. Engine sounds good etc.

--------------------
'90 SM
2006 SSM North East Enduro Champion

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wes:
I'll defer to the engine tuning gurus hereabouts, but normally 12.5:1 is the lower end of the fuel / air ratio. The question is where yours at 6,300-7,000? Since that's where your engine spends a fair bit of its time.
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Wes Saunders

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Wes Saunders     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Qik, it is pretty flat but at about 6,700 it falls under 12.5 Since we do spend some corner exit time at 5,500 and 6,000 full throttle I am wondering if there is any room for concern. Of course legal suggestions on how to flatten the curve is also appreciated [Smile]

--------------------
'90 SM

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Wes I beleive the factory settings for the AFM are set to run the car leaner at low RPM otherwise you'd foul plugs pretty easy. Try looking up the company that advertises on here with the spin brackets, they may help and I beleive are legal they simply rotate the AFM to use the weight of the flap to open it sooner. I think its SP Inductions?

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My research had always lead me to find that 13-13.5 to 1 on your air/fuel gauge towards the top end of the rpm scale is ideal. I use an ART tuned afm with the SP Induction Systems Spin Bracket to fine tune the air/fuel ratio, I monitor it real time in the car with an Innovate Motorsports afr gauge. This setup works well for me and I rarely have to tune it, but the capability is nice. Then again 90% of our races are hot weather affairs, so its pretty consistent.

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

oem steve

Region: South East
Car #: #92
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for oem steve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Wes, also need to know if you are checking it at the exhaust manifold or at the tailpipe?

--------------------
email: standrewsexpress@bellsouth.net
visit us at http://www.standrewsexpress.com

Under powered and under driven

JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone using a programmer for the AFM? Fat middle and just right top?

1.6L cars may open and adjust, but not modify, the
OEM airflow meter. For 1.6L cars, the position of
the air flow meter may be moved provided it remains
attached to the unmodified factory intake tube.

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by oem steve:
Wes, also need to know if you are checking it at the exhaust manifold or at the tailpipe?

Steve's point is well taken. The best location to measure the F/A ratio is at the O2 sensor port.

That aside JD must be on vacation (he logged in as a visitor?).
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Wes Saunders

Measuring at the tailpipe, typical dyno set up.

--------------------
'90 SM

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JIM DANIELS:
Anyone using a programmer for the AFM? Fat middle and just right top?

1.6L cars may open and adjust, but not modify, the
OEM airflow meter. For 1.6L cars, the position of
the air flow meter may be moved provided it remains
attached to the unmodified factory intake tube.

[Smile]

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Region: Oregon
Car #: 00
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Which reads leaner.....measuring by the tail pipe or by the engine?

Tom

Kim Ouye Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Retired Racer

Region: SFR
Car #: 82/73
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kim Ouye     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Engine goes BOOM...too lean... [Wink]

--------------------
Kim

91 BRG SMT RIP
06 MX-5 Cup

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy sh*t...what a ride!'" - Unknown

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So who sells the spin brackets?

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's a hint - on the home page click 'view all advertisers' and look for the banner that starts with SP.

Tom's Double O Verified Driver

Region: Oregon
Car #: 00
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom's Double O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Tom's Double O:
Which reads leaner.....measuring by the tail pipe or by the engine?

Tom

Anyone know the answer? Does it reads richer or leaner at the tailpipe as compared to reading near the engine? I don't have a wideband on my car and only had the a/f ratio measured at the tail pipe on a dyno.

Tom

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I believe it's leaner at the tailpipe. However, most dyno owners adjust the readout to compensate.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Wes Saunders

Does any one really worry about their engine if it is at 14.3 air/fuel ratio @ 5,500 RPM? Enquiring minds need to know.... I don't think it is a worry but looking for more informed advice.

--------------------
'90 SM

trimless1 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Low Budget Member

Region: Southwest
Car #: 11
Year : 99 and 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for trimless1     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you have a graph of the AFR to post it would be helpful. It sounds lean to me but hard to tell without seeing the graph.

--------------------
Gale Corley
99 SM GRE Super Deluxe
93 SM GRE Jr. Deluxe

Kendall Jones

Region: Detroit
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kendall Jones   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The tail pipe sniffer will read equal or leaner at the end of the pipe. The leaner reading depends on how sealed your exhaust pipe is, the high velocity gas will suck in air as it shoots down the pipe (venturi effect & all). even a pin hole will make it read leaner.

I usually take the AFR readings "under advisement" on my dyno. I measure at the tailpipe (unless I get further up the pipe) & usually dont know what cobbled together exhaust may be under there [Wink] I look at the power / torque outputs (and the area under the curve) when tweaking the AFM.

I wouldnt worry about 14.X at the tail pipe; depending on intake / exhaust setup is mounted, you usually need to have a lean spot @ one rpm bandwidth to counteract a rich hump somewhere else.

Kendall

--------------------
++++++++++++++++++++++

Kendall Jones
http://detroitdyno.com

cpdenis
Good Life Member

Region: 11
Car #: 09
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cpdenis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Bit of a hijack here but along the same lines.
Since both the SCCA and NASA have adopted the adjusted timing and fuel pressure regulators on the 99's, I'm looking to go that route and perform that modification. Given that there is now the potential to lean and blow the engine, what is the recommended complete gauge setup (complete hardware) and a/f ratios to be adjusting for or worry about. Or am I over thinking this,
Thanks
CP

John A - 5X Racing Verified Driver
www.5xracing.com

Region: NASA FL / CFR SCCA
Car #: 25
Icon 1 posted  Profile for John A - 5X Racing   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Email me CP, I will get you set up

--------------------
John Adamczyk

Owner: 5X Racing Online Race Shop
Driver: Team 5X Racing #25 Spec Miata
NASA FL Race Director
Race Engineering Powered 1.6

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cpdenis:
Since both the SCCA and NASA have adopted the adjusted timing and fuel pressure regulators on the 99's, I'm looking to go that route and perform that modification. Given that there is now the potential to lean and blow the engine, what is the recommended complete gauge setup (complete hardware) and a/f ratios to be adjusting for or worry about. Or am I over thinking this,
Thanks
CP

99's run beat at about 15:1 [Smile]

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cpdenis:
Thanks
CP

Is it just the NB's, or does it include the NA's?

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

CP
providing all is right on right car, good fuel pump and injectors. You want your car running 53/55 psi at idle. The air:fuel curve is not flat, but that will end up with a curve starting at 5000 is 13.3-13.5 range and end with a 12.7/12.8 at 6800 or so. IMO, taht is about as good as you can get.

Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

SAE113 Verified Driver

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 01 & 99
Year : '92 & '94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SAE113     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
CP
providing all is right on right car, good fuel pump and injectors. You want your car running 53/55 psi at idle. The air:fuel curve is not flat, but that will end up with a curve starting at 5000 is 13.3-13.5 range and end with a 12.7/12.8 at 6800 or so. IMO, taht is about as good as you can get.

Jim

jim is that specifically for the '99 or all miata?

--------------------
Steven Elicati
'92 Protege ITA#01
'94 Miata ITA#99

cpdenis
Good Life Member

Region: 11
Car #: 09
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cpdenis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Jim, that's great info. What about the monitoring hardware? Or do I just install parts as above, dial psi to 54, adjust timing to 15 and know that its good. Is there a way to optimize this setup at the track without a dyno? Magic numbers to look for?
Again great info and thanks to all posting.
CP

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

CP, FYI.
http://classifieds.specmiata.com/detail.php?id=3318
J~

--------------------
Avatar Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww9cFE3lKcA

Mike Tesch Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Tesch   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny D:
CP, FYI.
http://classifieds.specmiata.com/detail.php?id=3318
J~

Since when is a hammer a blueprinting tool? [duck]

--------------------
"I've got 5 kids... here there are hundreds"

Mike Tesch
Go Time Racing LLC

Chris70 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 17-7-70
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris70   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When you know how to use it correctly [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Talent is often perseverance in disguise"

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: