Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Kill Switch clarification...

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Kill Switch clarification...
Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Champ   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just for clarification, does your Kill Switch operate as a battery kill switch or does it also kill the motor while its running (thus killing the alternator too)? It seems that most of the kill switches I've seen are single pole switches and I don't think you'd want to run both your starter and alternator through the same switch. Am I missing something here or is a battery kill switch sufficient for SM rules?

Thanks,
Paul

--------------------
'99 Miata (1.8l) purchased and dedicated to SM in '09

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It is required to isolate the battery and kill the motor.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The switch must stop the engine as well as all electrical circuits i.e. brake lights.

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This is probably the most frequent item I have found, while doing annual inspections, for the last season. Like the other Wheeler said, above, it must shut off everything. If your engine keeps running, when the switch is off, you won't pass tech.
wheel

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey Paul,

Just buy the kit offered by Davew at Advanced Autosports. Easy to use and you won't have poor conections as I had on my first car.

Champ

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Champ   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You guys are the best! Which wire is it that gets interrupted to kill the motor while it is running?

--------------------

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul, just do what George stated above. Excellent kit, everything you need, and clear instructions.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The power to the Igniter in my car.

And if the switch ever fails (or gets turned off) the car will not run. Been there.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Champ

quote:
Originally posted by Teamfour:
Paul, just do what George stated above. Excellent kit, everything you need, and clear instructions.

I would have just bought his kit but I'm already so far into this project that many of his parts wouldn't be needed at this point. So all I need to do to finish the job is to figure out which wire to interrupt for the ignition.

Wouldn't it be one of the wires that goes to the keyed ignition. Does anyone have that info?

Thanks,
Paul

--------------------

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

On a 1.6 it cuts the power to the igniter which comes from the key switch.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Terry Whitlock Verified Driver

Region: BUCCANEER
Car #: 23 SSM, 36 SM
Year : 1992, 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Terry Whitlock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The kit being refered to is only the switch and wiring and not the Spec Miata in a box kit if that is what is confusing you. Check the Advanced Autosport web site.

--------------------
Terry Whitlock

Terry Whitlock Verified Driver

Region: BUCCANEER
Car #: 23 SSM, 36 SM
Year : 1992, 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Terry Whitlock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Spec Miata Master Kill Switch
Safety Gear for the Car

larger image $85.00
There is no reason to cut into the factory wiring harness and risk problems down the road. This easy to install system comes with everything needed. Even comes with the stickers and complete instructions.

Add to Cart:

Model: SM-KILL-SW
http://www.advanced-autosports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=153

--------------------
Terry Whitlock

Champ

quote:
Originally posted by Terry Whitlock:
The kit being refered to is only the switch and wiring and not the Spec Miata in a box kit if that is what is confusing you. Check the Advanced Autosport web site.

Thanks Terry. No confusion here about which kit Dave is offering. I already have almost everything in that kit except for the metal bracket to hold the switch. I'm mounting it in the air vent on the drivers door side of the steering wheel.

I've bought other stuff from Dave and everything is first rate. I just had a lot of this stuff around the shop already and it didn't make sense to buy it again.

Paul

--------------------

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Region: SFR
Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does this help?

-

J~

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Make sure you have the b-terminal to the alt insulated. My little rubber cover fell apart and that terminal is still hot so if you short it with a wrench (to the intake manifold support bracket for example), smoke comes out of the trunk and you have to replace the 10G wire since it burned up the insulation.

[yep]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul, contact me with a fax number and I will send you the instruction sheet

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Champ

Thanks for your help today Dave! You are a wonderful resource to us here.
Paul

--------------------

Nick A.

Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nick A.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just got my "new to me" Spec Miata about a month ago.

As I've been going through it, I noticed that the kill switch is basically just a battery kill. (Car won't start unless it's on.)

I too have been trying to get clarification on this via the almighty Internet.. and it's crazy!!!!

People who all seem to know more than me give conflicting advice. My switch does not kill the car once started. Yet it's got several SCCA tech stickers in it?

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nick, when they DO test the kill switch they will refuse to let you race. In the SowDiv, it's a favorite thing for tech to check and they check it every time they give it an annual.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

Nick A.

Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nick A.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks. I took a look. It's a two pole, battery only...for sure. Going to have it changed. No official SCCA techs for me real soon anyway! Since May, I've done two DE's in my daily driver. Did an open track with the SM. Doing at least one more. Then another DE, then hopefully my club license. By then it'll be September.

So I'm a little of the newbie that's been bitten. But don't hold it against me! The car was well south of 10k, and I've already done my own homemade rattle can clean up of the "straightened" fenders. [thumbsup]

Lance Snyder Made Donation to Website
Administrator

Region: Atlanta
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Lance Snyder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nick, you still want to get it working properly. I work PCA DE's and if I see a car with a kill switch I will use it depending on the situation and expect it to work as advertised.

--------------------
All this has happened before, and will happen again

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Nick A.:
Thanks. I took a look. It's a two pole, battery only...for sure. Going to have it changed. No official SCCA techs for me real soon anyway! Since May, I've done two DE's in my daily driver. Did an open track with the SM. Doing at least one more. Then another DE, then hopefully my club license. By then it'll be September.

So I'm a little of the newbie that's been bitten. But don't hold it against me! The car was well south of 10k, and I've already done my own homemade rattle can clean up of the "straightened" fenders. [thumbsup]

You don't need more than a 2 pole to do Dave's kill switch method.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: