Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Momo Start Seat Installation

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Momo Start Seat Installation
ShelbyRacing

Region: South Florida
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ShelbyRacing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am in the process of installing the Momo Start styled seat in a 97 Miata. It seems that the install on the stock rails is a bit high for a 6' tall driver. Has any of the taller drivers found a way to install this bottom mount seat to allow adjustment. Also if I must install fixed, does anyone have a special way they installed their bottom mount seat?

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I would suggest you use the search function to get some info on this. It's been discussed often here.

Then come back with specific questions. You'll find us very helpful [Smile]

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So you have the older MOMO START, this is the seat installed in my car when I got it. I am just under 6". Depending on your cage you should be able to get the seat to tilt back a little more by using a couple washers in the front, the bolts in the seat will match up to the sliders and with some playing around the seat will mount to the original stock mounting holes.

In order to get more head room, we removed the back stock mounting supports, and drilled two holes in the floor. Make sure to reinforce the bolts you use with large fender washers, the floor is pretty soft steel.

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by tony senese:
I am just under 6".

TMI!!!

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

oops, 6'...... and John ..... you're sick!

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

ShelbyRacing

Region: South Florida
Year : 1997
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ShelbyRacing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the quick reply on this issue. However, I have just learned that my son just can't fit into the seat.. Seems he needs a bit more room at the hips then the Momo has.
Research is now heading in the direction of the Cobra Monaco Pro seat. It has the inch more room in the seat. It seems this one will be a side mount. I believe a direct bolt down should work.
Thanks again...

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The aluminum seats may be a bit easier to make fit and can be a lot safer than a low-end composite seat mounted to a tin-can floor.

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Save yourself some time and money and do a search (link at the top of this page) on seat fitment. Not all seats fit SM and most don't fit without a little persuasion.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: