Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Axle Nut Removal

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Axle Nut Removal
SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How do you remove the rear axle nut? [Confused]
I bent back the dimple on the nuts.
I have used 1-1/8" socket with a breaker and extension making for a 3ft handle with the 1/2" breaker bar bending but not turning the Nut. I then tried a 1-1/8" Combination wrench using the box end and hitting it with a 3 pound sledge, still nothing. Next I went out and bought a Harbor Freight 1/2" drive Earthquake impact gun with 600 ft lbs max. Again after 20 min of using the impact gun I ended up cracking my socket in two places.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???? [banghead]

I am going to get an impact 1-1/8" 6point socket tomorrow, but don't know what I am going to do to get the nuts off. I am thinking of torching the nuts and after that get out the abrasive blade and cut them off unless you guys have other ideas.

PLEASE HELP!!! [help]

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

SCCA_Racer

Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Oh and Yes, I know Lefty-Loosy Righty-Tighty before somebody says something.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Vick Verified Driver
Do they sell spec training wheels?

Region: NYR
Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Vick     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When I did my first one I used a 1/2 inch breaker bar and a six foot section of pipe......it worked but I decided that was the wrong approach, especially as I watched the breaker bar bend.

3/4 inch breaker bar worked no problem on the other one. See if you can borrow one from a friend.

--------------------
http://www.volko.com

Greg Kimble Verified Driver

Region: CFR
Car #: 81
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Kimble     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Get an Ingersol Rand Titanium 1/2 drive impact wrench it will remove the nut. I have yet to come across a nut that it cannot remove A bit expensive...but saves time, effort, and aggrivation.

Greg

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Impact wrench generally wont break off the end of the axle, so I vote for that, but I have also done it with a breaker bar and a length of pipe....

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

At this point probably wouldn't hurt to start soaking the things in PB Blaster. Once you get your nuts off, [Big Grin] will you be able to get the upright off?

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What Chris said - start soaking the long bolt that holds the upright to the lower control arm with PB Blaster or similar.

andrew_anderson
National Member

Region: SC region and buccaneer
Icon 1 posted  Profile for andrew_anderson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have had the same problem once before. Either a torch will work, or what I did was take a small drill bit to the inside edge of the nut where the threads are. You may damage a few threads on the axle but this will get the nut off. (it worked for me at least.)

--------------------
Dish NetworkNew Dish Network customers receive a $40 rebate if you are an SCCA member!
Race Engineering. Championship winning engines.
Carbotech Brakes
Panic Motorsports
Low Country Communications
2343 Main HWY
Bamberg, SC 29003

Nigel Stu Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 66
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nigel Stu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Soak your nuts.

I had the same issue. Right side came off fairly easy with a breaker bar and extension, after some soaking.

Left side I tried impact, breaker with 3 ft extension, soaking, swearing, heat, pleading, more soaking, sacrificing some virgin car parts, more swearing, more impact gun, and finally breaker bar with full length jack-handle as an extension. No dice.

In hind sight, I should have started soaking that nut a week in advance. I ended up replacing the entire upright and axle... and my breaker bar that ended up with a permanent set bend in it.

I'm guessing that axle nut had never been taken off from factory - on a '92 from the North East. It went past the 'rust' stage, and right into the 'fussed' stage...

Good luck, exercise extreme patience. Or just buy new stuff...

--------------------
Ben Schaut
Schaut Speed Motorsports
GLDiv / WHRRI
#66 Blue/White/Black

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Remove the upright and axle as an assembly and take it to a local garage. They will have enough air pressure, air volume and a big impact to get the nut off. They should not charge you anything, give the guy who did it a tip and you will on your way.

The next issue is will the shaft come out of the hub?????????

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My guess is if the nut is that frozen, then the axle/hub will be the same. At this point I would be looking at total replacement. Make sure the parts come seperately if used and apply anti sieze.

Howard

Region: NORTHEAST
SMIM: SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Howard     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

3/4" drive air impact wrench. Ziiiiiiip! Check truck repair shops to borrow one or maybe tool rental store

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel Stu:
Soak your nuts.
I had the same issue. Right side came off fairly easy with a breaker bar and extension, after some soaking.

Is that related to shrinkage? (Steinfeld beach house episode)
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

ChrisA

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
quote:
Soak your nuts.

Rick

Well, for some of us it's because we have oversized shafts for the parts used on them. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

Nigel Stu Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nigel Stu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
quote:
Soak your nuts.

Rick

LOL! Freeze Off does seem to work pretty well for most nuts [Wink]

I just got some grapefruit in my eye.

[rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
Ben Schaut
Schaut Speed Motorsports
GLDiv / WHRRI
#66 Blue/White/Black

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by davew:
Remove the upright and axle as an assembly and take it to a local garage. They will have enough air pressure, air volume and a big impact to get the nut off. They should not charge you anything, give the guy who did it a tip and you will on your way.

The next issue is will the shaft come out of the hub?????????

Dave

#1...That axle can be an unholy nightmare to get out it's corroded. Took us an acetaline torch, plus a big press and the heat from the torch wasn't kind to the wheel bearing.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

38BFAST Verified Driver

Region: Waterford Hills
Car #: 38
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 38BFAST     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

3/4 impact works great. Like Dave says the next problem will be to get the shaft and the bearing out. Like Lewis said. Just replace with new.

--------------------
Ralph Provitz
2008 WHRRI SM Champion
2008 WHRRI Top 10 Overall
V2 Motorsports, Race support, Data Dude

Tom Kirkham

Car #: 54
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Kirkham   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Before giving up on a 1/2 impact gun, try having someone step on the brakes while you are removing the nut.

Tom Kirkham

Car #: 54
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tom Kirkham   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Also, you might try removing the quick coupler from your air line, and plumbing the air hose directly into your impact gun.

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Watched Chris Windsor deftly remove one with a hand chisel this weekend before I could find him some MAAP gas. Once it deforms a bit it will break free.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Impact gun is one way but if you are doing this from home your compresor might not have enough PSI to work it free. Have a person step on the brakes and another with a 1/2 breaker bar and a long pipe. The pipe should be all the way down to the head of the breaker bar (then it wont bend). Always Always use a 6 point socket. NEVER use 12 point, 12 point will round off your nuts(he he). Use some of the local teens to help you they are always happy to show you how strong they are.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

SCCA_Racer

I GOT IT OFF BUT......

I ended up using my oxy/acetal torch and got the nut off, but now for the axle. HEHE
I have the complete upright out of the car and have removed everything down to the CV-joint and upright, but I can not get the axle out. Hmmm what to do? Ruin the the bearing to get the axle out then replace the bearing?

--------------------
Joshua Fine
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When it's reached the point where your BFH isn't big enough and you're moving on to torches and hydraulics, might be a good time to replace the bearing while you're in there anyway, no?

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

SCCA_Racer

I was also wondering about the integrity of the axle nut and axle after I have torched them. So my list is new axle nuts and new wheel/axle bearings. The one piece used axles I got were not torched so I am not worried about those, but I do not want to sell the current ones to someone if they are heat stressed now making them softer.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Dave Lewis

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

$100 at 10-1 that heat and hydraulics will "mushroom" the threads or crack the upright. Bight the bullet and replace it all.

Pack Fodder

We had to destroy the axle to get the upright into the press in a way it wouldn't be damaged. Then 12 tons of pressure or so @ 800*F and that axle came out like it was shot from a canon...add to the shopping list one pair of clean underwear.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Dave Lewis

Next step, does the upright fit the upper and lower CAs?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: