Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » flowmatched injectors? What flow is good?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: flowmatched injectors? What flow is good?
Reggie Verified Driver

Region: Delta
Car #: 77
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Reggie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I ordered some flowmatched injectors, and find that they have dynamic test results of 55cc each, static test results of 52 cc each, and cc/min. of 208cc. I understand that to mean a max. h.p. of about 42 hp per cylinder X 4=168 Max supportable h.p. at the flywheel.
Newbie questions-Are these flow rates:
1. good enough for spec miata racing?
2. Improvable by sending them to a tuner?

The spray of each is "excellent". They are remanufactured stock Nippondenso injectors, tested at 43.5 PSI. What is important about these numbers, and do I need to have higher flowed injectors, like 60CC or 61cc? Thanks.

Reggie Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Reggie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Okay, installed them. One or two didn't perform, and engine stumbled upon hitting the throttle, so i replaced those 4 with 4 more reman'd ones. All is running well for the time being.

So, can anyone tell me if 55/52 cc/min are okay? Thanks.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's about 2% below the factory spec of 212cc @ 3 bars. Should be just fine.

The factory spec will support about 117hp running at an 80% duty cycle (safe and sane). The very fastest 1.6's (assuming they haven't done anything sneaky) run those same injectors at about 85%.

If your injectors have a hair less flow, either they'll allow a hair less power than the fastest of the fast, or they'll have to work a hair harder to get the last 2hp.

YMMV

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Flowmatched injectors and matched perfect - staggered special tires, should be the ticket to going FAST! [Wink]

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Weekend Warrior:
Flowmatched injectors and matched perfect - staggered special tires, should be the ticket to going FAST! [Wink]

It's essential if you're going to drive, Flatout so you can be promoted to the fastest run group. [Wink]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Reggie Verified Driver

Can I put an "SM" sticker on my Viper and run Spec Miata class "flatout"? Some nit picker would probably complain, though I can't see why.... [Smile]

Seriously, Someone else has sent me a PM elsewhere that indicates the 208cc to be max for the stock injectors when tested using the fluid/medium used by my vendor (same fluid as used by Bosch in its tests). I get the impression that none of our cars/motors will ever run at 100% capacity without serious engine mods or forced air induction, anyway. So the 55/52 readings should be optimum for the 1970 stock injectors, shouldn't they? Thanks, Everyone.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: