Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » 1999 Spec Miata Build Log (Page 1)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  next » 

Author Topic: 1999 Spec Miata Build Log
dunk

Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dunk     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here a few months, however now my build is underway I thought I'd share a few pictures and my experiences so far.

I've been active with NASA mid-A over the last few years running a TTS/ST2 Subaru. Unfortunately, the car was not always as reliable as I would like and the consumable costs were extremely expensive. I made the decision this June to sell the car and pour all the money into a Spec Miata.

Here's a picture of the old car.

-

I started with a low mileage 1999 Miata with a factory torsion. I drove the car to work for a few weeks to make sure it was mechanically sound. Here's a picture of what I think the car will look like at the end.

-

dunk

Icon 1 posted  Profile for dunk     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's a short list of the major components I decided to use on my build. I had around a $20K budget after selling the majority of the Subaru parts.

Miatacage.com Cage
Springfield Dyno Radiator and Exhaust
AIM Pista data with Smartycam
MOMO Daytona head restraint seat.

I'll be running a stock motor for at least the first year until I become proficient at driving the car. First order of business was to install the cage and paint the interior. Seat mounting required notching of the transmission tunnel and fabrication of a rear seatbelt mount.

-

-

-

-

Little overspray on one of the doors from forgetting to tape up a hole. [Smile]

-

Transmission tunnel modification

-

Comments, suggestions, or any other pieces of advice are always welcome. Looking forward to getting this car on track.

-Duncan

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Region: SFR
Car #: 12
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looks clean - we notched the tunnel as well for my Circuit Pro. One thing to watch is exhaust clearance... my notch is farther forward because I'm short so you should be ok there, but you might watch on the back. The exhaust hits the bolt for the harness mount which makes a lot of noise but so far doesn't seem to be damaging the SD exhaust. Now, where the exhaust hits against the diff in the back is a different story...

--------------------
MotorsportReg.com / Haag Performance / Team SafeRacer
2010 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

Scottie

Region: WDCR
Car #: sm 19
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scottie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I notched the tunnel on my 93.... with a hammer.

Brian. I had the same problem with my harness bolt rubbing on the exhaust, it was damaging it. Luckily I took care of it fast enough before it put a hole in the exhaust. You should really be careful. But then again, all the SD exhausts seem to fit every car differently.

--------------------
How do I fit this ls7 into my mia... nevermind.

dunk

Good tip. If I have to modifiy the exhaust a little that shouldn't be too much trouble. It's always handy to have the welder around.

On an unrelated note, I haven't gotten to the install of the radiator yet,however found some information on this site that the upper radiator hose will need to be replaced.

Anybody with a 99 and SD radiator that can clarify?

thanks,

Duncan

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Car #: 88 SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You should use new hoses anyway. Are you going to have temp gauges and are they going on that hose?

Also I bought my SD Rad in Sept last year, Finished my car in March, I have done 5 dble reg and i'm replacing it because it's got a pin hole leak.

Best of luck with yours.
J~

hoverducky Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: San Francisco
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for hoverducky     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Apparently the distilled water out here in SF Region is corrosive, because I lost an SD to a pinhole last season, too. I put another one in (SD radiator, not pinhole) and we'll see how that goes.

Scott

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Are you able to get the heter and AC components back in the car without cutting tubes?????

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'd HIGHLY recommend a heat barrier like this on the underside of the transmission tunnel. It made a world of difference on my car as far as driver comfort is concerned.

Green is the fastest color [Smile]

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Brian Ghidinelli Verified Driver
Moonwalker

Car #: 12
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brian Ghidinelli   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hrm, my SD radiator is running just fine with the full season + test days on it. Not to hijack but do your fan shrouds touch the fins or are they really really close so that they might rub against it with vibration?

--------------------
MotorsportReg.com / Haag Performance / Team SafeRacer
2010 San Francisco Region SMT Champion

jwarren Verified Driver

Region: NNJ
Car #: 51
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jwarren   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

nice work! I've always had a love of the scoob but i can understand the cost issue :(. Just tracking an sti alone was enough to steer me away from that unless i was attempting to build a moneypit 500+whp time attack car.

I just recently built my second SM from the ground up by myself as well. It was an amazing process, and i learned a LOT along the way. I could tell you all of the things you never realized before you even get to them.

For instance, be careful where you mount the kill switch (as provided with the maitacage kit), as sometimes the seat and/or a center net will block your access to it. I didn't realize this until i was done and went to kill the car from inside.

--------------------
Ridgespeed Racing

#51 J. Andrew Warren

http://www.ridgespeedracing.com

JIM DANIELS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Site Founder

Region: Mid-South
Car #: 76
Year : "You Pick"
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JIM DANIELS   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by davew:
Are you able to get the heter and AC components back in the car without cutting tubes?????

Rather easily on the car I just built. My welds are a different story but I can't blame the kit for that.

Some of our RX8s and SMs in NASA (our meaning Mazda employees who race with RDR) use and are extremely happy with the products Sean offers.

That said, Drago, Wheeler, Mike Tesch etc... have some very pretty cages for those non-DIY types.

I would not want anyone thinking something was wrong with Sean's kit, right Dave?

This 99' looks great, good luck on your build!

--------------------
Jim Daniels

MAZDARACERS.COM

dunk

quote:
Originally posted by davew:

What tubing are you referring to? The heater vent tubes, or the cross bar in the dash.

Either way I'm not sure yet. It's a Miatacage.com cage installed as per the instructions and their picture showed the heater core installed so I'm assuming it'll work out.

Duncan

Goggles Pisano

Region: NW
Car #: 23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Goggles Pisano   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

There is some trimming to do on the heater core box. It sort of determines the dash bar height.

--------------------
Ericjonesmotorsports.com
"If it can't kill ya, it ain't a sport."

hoverducky Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: San Francisco
Icon 1 posted  Profile for hoverducky     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Ghidinelli:
Hrm, my SD radiator is running just fine with the full season + test days on it. Not to hijack but do your fan shrouds touch the fins or are they really really close so that they might rub against it with vibration?

I don't believe the shroud touches the fins. The pinhole was in the upper left aft corner where the tubes meet the tank. Small enough that it wasn't obvious what was going on, but large enough to prevent pressure from building. The result was high temps and low power.

Scott

Martin Wiedenhoeft Verified Driver

Region: Milwaukee
Car #: 99
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Martin Wiedenhoeft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dunk,

I made a similiar move a few years ago. I ran a time attack Mitsu EVO with NASA in the midwest division.

I jumped ship to a spec miata with SCCA and haven't looked back since. I miss the power but the competition and communitiy more than make up for it. You won't believe how far your racing budget will go after the car is done as compared to the scoobie.

Your car is looking good. As for advice, finish it asap and join us on the track! Also check out Dave Wheeler's book at Advanced Autosports. It contains tons of good info when building your SM.

--------------------
Trakmnky

dunk

Made some good progress this weekend. Spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the garage. Short list of things that are complete.

Friday:
Heater box, fan, and dash are back in the car. Heater box fit fine with a little trimming to clear the dash tube.

Saturday:
Finished connecting all the wiring, reinstalled the seat, added the fire system, cutoff switch, and battery.

Sunday:
Installed the MXL pista (missing a few sensors but the dash is in the car and working. Moved onto removing the A/C, Power Steering, installing the hood pins, and working on the radiator. Also verified the exhaust will fit (but it's going to be a litle tight) and did a few minor touch ups where I scratched the paint reinstalling interior items.

Did get the car back enough together to verify it will start. I've been spoiled having the top off the car and the windshield out. I'm trying to make sure I remember to do everything before finally bolting down the top.

Some pictures I took at the end of the weekend. I'll get some better ones up of the dash after I remove my touch up drapes:

Battery back in place.
 -

4L SPA AFFF System Installed
 -

Hood Pins, tight fit.
 -

Fire System Lines
 -

Radiator Installed. Stock bottom hose looks like it will fit but the top one is definitely too short. Any suggestions on a part no for a hose that fits. Also, was surprised the radiator didn't come with grommets for the bottom mounts. I added some during my install. Fan Shroud had to be trimmed for clearance.
 -

Seat in the car. Hopefully I don't get any taller because it's as low as I could get it. [Smile]
 -

Dave Metz

Region: OVR
Car #: TBD
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Metz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looking great. Wish mine was to that point already!

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was told a "Gates 22133" works. Napa has a cross and thats what I just installed in my new build.

dunk

More progress tonight, and some questions.

First, here's a picture of the AIM installed and the kill switch which nicely fit in the drivers side vent.
 -

Factory suspension out
 -

New parts
 -

-

Questions:
Any good guides with pictures on how the spec suspension goes together. I actually had a copy of the builders guide from Advance Auto Sports but I've unfortunately misplaced it.

I'm using Advance Auto Sports Endlinks. I noticed mind did not come with bolts or nuts. Was this an omission or do I need to run to the hardware store?

Any tricks for removing the front bearings before I attempt that in a few nights?

thanks in advance.

Duncan

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nice build. If you are talking about the front hub bearings, you don't remove and replace them as in a regular front spindle. Use the following site to see how to rebuild the hubs.

http://www.waltermotorsports.com/v/Racing/hub/

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

dunk

Light work day in the garage last night due to a shortage of supplies, however knocked some small things out.

Front sway bar installed.
 -

Rear sway bar installed. I would have liked to paint all the control arms but there just insn't going to be time this go around. I'll take car of it over the winter. I'll probably do the front and rear subframes as well as replace the motor mounts and suspension bushings while I'm in there.

-

Shifter back in the car with a brand new boot from Mazda Motorsports
 -

Laying out the Fat Cat Motorsports Bump Stop kit. I didn't have any Gorilla glue so to continue with the install.
 -

Started fitment of the Koolmat heat shield. I haven't decided how I'm going to fasten it to the floor. The instructions suggest silicone glue. I'm also a little concerned on what to do at the edges to stop the fiberglass matting from fraying. It really needs a border on it.
 -

Stock oil pressure sensor replaced with a braided line for an aftermarket VDO sensor. They didn't make that one easy to get to, did they? [Smile] I used a 26" extension, universal joint and a large socket to remove it through the wheel well.
 -

Thanks it for today. I'll probably have more updates later on in the week and hopefully this weekend can get the last of the major items done. Then it's off to the graphics shop for the finishing touches, as well as dyno, alignment, and a new windshield.

-Duncan

dunk

Suspension is on the car, along with new wheel bearings, tie rods, lower ball joints, and cam bolts.

-

-

dunk

Anybody heard from VictoryLaneData recently? I've left a few messages with no response. Need a CAN extension cable for my data hub.

Today I should receive the rest of the pieces I need from Mazda Motorsports to finish up the car. Next Monday it goes out to graphics, and then on Tuesday we'll finish up the exhaust, scale, weigh, and align it.

First track test is next Friday at VIR.

-Duncan

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just recovering from the Runoffs and thought I would post a couple clarifications

My early post about heater box install was only a concern that the parts could not be put back in without removing the dash bar. It was not meant to be a knock against the cage manufacturer. I like my design better, but I am biased.

My endlinks require new bolts be purchased for 99+ cars. The factory end links on early cars use a nut and bolt mount. Which can be reused. On 99+ the factory links have a stud. Thus requiring you to get nuts and bolts. Hardware store is fine. I prefer to order early nuts and bolts from Mazda. But I am biased!!!!!

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

dunk

No worries Dave,

I picked up the endlink bolts and nuts from the Hardware store. Didn't even think to check Mazda Motorsports for the ealier years.

Looking forward to getting the car back down on the ground and taking it for a short spin.

Duncan

dunk

Work continued a little last night. In the final stretch now.

Framed the cut-out of the door panels with some split vacuum tubing held in place with silicone adhesive.

-

I'll be using the new memory key to transfer data from the car.
 -

Smartycam installed.
 -

Cool Suit in
 -

Radiator hoses installed for radiator.
 -

New plugs and MSD wires
 -

That's it for a few days. This weekend is the final week of work, and the car goes off for graphics on Monday morning. Tuesday we align the car and its track debut is next Friday.

Duncan

cucamelsmd15

Icon 1 posted  Profile for cucamelsmd15     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hey dunk, do you still have the door panels? If so, you might consider trimming them similar to this:
 -

Looks much nicer, IMO.

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Car #: 88 SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You can see he cut the door panels just right for that. He sure seems to know what he's doing for his 1st Miata build. Looks great.
J~

--------------------
Avatar Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww9cFE3lKcA

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Is that the stock side impact beam on the white car?

Willie the Tard Verified Driver

Region: NASA Texas
Car #: 8
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Willie the Tard   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

you might want to relocate the trunk fire line so you can get into the fuel tank to change the fuel presure regulator

--------------------
William Keeling a.k.a. Willie the Tard

dunk

Not worried about that line. They're easy enough to take apart if I need to remove the cover.

Anyone have pictures of their camera mount setup. Trying to get some ideas on how best to position the camera mount. Not entirely happy with the way I have it now.

Duncan

dunk

All done.

Car goes to graphics on Monday, and then to All Aspects Motorsports on Tuesday for a windshield, alignment, and final exhaust fitment.

-

Got to start them young. [Smile]
 -

Duncan

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Where are you puting the ballast?

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

dunk

Behind the cool suit on the passenger floor board.

Duncan

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Got it.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'd suggest adding a few band clamps to help hold the fire bottle down. I've got the same system and the clamps suck. The bottle was loose in the factory clamps when I installed it. So I cut a few small slits in the floor pan and ran 2 big band clamps around the frame rail underneath the car to secure the bottle.

Good looking build. You have given me some ideas about what to play around with when I get bored this winter since I'm lucky enough not to be building another car this year...just straightening the one I've already got [Smile]

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

dunk

Back from graphics.

-

-

-

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That car is WAY too pretty to put on a track with a bunch of lunatic Spec Miata drivers......

Craig J
(ps. Awesome job)

Greg S

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg S     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

CNJ, are you the Craig J who used to DE a Boxster? If so, I'd like to talk to you about SM... again.

-Greg Smith

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Greg,

Yes. Still have the Boxster and take it out to annoy the 911's when I instruct. PM me. FYI I will be racing at ECR next weekend (15/16) if you want to come by.

Craig J

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by cnj:
Greg,

Yes. Still have the Boxster and take it out to annoy the 911's when I instruct. PM me. FYI I will be racing at ECR next weekend (15/16) if you want to come by.

Craig J

Racing? I thought you did touring laps... [Big Grin]

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA