Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » End Link Bolts Missing

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: End Link Bolts Missing
omg

Region: washington
Year : 1990 sm 1990 ssm 2007 MX5 Cup
Icon 1 posted  Profile for omg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I recently had my Miata on the lift and noticed that the front and rear right side bolts that attach the end links to the sway bar are missing. I went off on turn 10 at Summit during the last NASA race and the car ended ended up on its roof. It was a soft roll over. Two ?s is it possible for the bolts to have snapped when the car rolled over, or when the tow guys flipped the car back on its wheels. What size bolts and spacers do I need to reattach the end links to the sway bar? Thanks

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

first.... "soft roll over" ? having rolled over myself, I think that is really funny.....

those bolts are as strong or stronger than the end links themselves.... It seems really strange they would snap off unless they were replaced by something smaller, or lower grade. You should see some sign of the breakage either at the end link or the mounting point on the bar. Are you sure you didn't take them off for a rain race/practice?

I'm just asking. I did it one time, got in the car the next event in the dry and thought my whole suspension was wonky...

If you buy new end links from Goodwin raing, you get new bolts..... maybe they will sell you the bolts alone, I am pretty sure they are grade 8 steel, not so sure about the size or thread count.

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

frank g Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: chattanooga
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for frank g     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

After getting t-boned in the LR I too have a missing bolt at the link on that side. Was a grade 8 bolt, but I have no bolt to look at. The link looks ok, but the heim joint ball is tight. Seemed strange,since the susp wasn’t severely bent.

tony senese Verified Driver
Phew, that was close!

Car #: 99
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tony senese   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hiem (sp?) joint ball could just be a little dirty also, but they really aren't that strong. I have been hit really hard and bent crash bolts and control arms or even broke a wheel and still haven't sheared that end link bolt, it seems very strange...

--------------------
Tony Senese
SM#99
2008 NASA-NE SM Champion
NASA-NE SM Director
2008 PRO-IT SM 3rd place
http://www.nosenseyet.com/coppermine

omg

Region: washington
Year : 1990 sm 1990 ssm 2007 MX5 Cup
Icon 1 posted  Profile for omg     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Car was never run in the rain. Did practice laps with car before roll over, felt fine. O well things happen.

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You've got to remember that Tony goes faster with missing end links. [Wink]

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: