Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Hawk blues v Hawk DTC 60

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Hawk blues v Hawk DTC 60
Steve McMorn

Region: WDC
Car #: SSM / SM 40
SMIM: ?
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve McMorn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm currently on Hawk blues as like the initial bite compared to Carbotech XP10, which I find to soft

A friend has recommended I "step up" to Hawk DTC 60's which he says are better and "the best for Spec Miata"

Anyone used DTC 60s?
Any thoughts on this advice

Cheers
Steve

--------------------
Steve McMorn
SSM Newbie

Greg Arsenault Verified Driver

Car #: 54
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Greg Arsenault     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My $0.02.

DTC 60 works over a bit hotter range 400-1600 F compared to 250-1000 for the blues. More important in a heavier car. DTC 60s are a bit harder on the rotors in my experience. Not a really big deal since I toss the rotors at a pad change any way.

I've run the Blues and PFC97. Now I run DTC 60 up front. No complaints. I also believe that the Blue material is being phased out but I can't confirm that. All in all, I think you'll be fine with the 60s.

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am currently using the DTC 30's front and the DTC 60's in the rear. Comparing them to Carbotech the DTC's have more initial bite and about the same modulation. They have less bite than the Blues

Gatoratty Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 3
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use DTC-60 front and DTC-30 rear. Spoke to the Hawk engineer today at the runoffs and I may try the DTC-60's on the rear as well.

--------------------
Paul McLester

luckymiata76

Region: South Bend
Car #: 76
Icon 1 posted  Profile for luckymiata76     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've been running Hawk Blues forever and finally switched to DTC60's for the Runoffs. The DTC's have less initial bite, but felt a tad better to modulate. No fade issues and I could brake with anybody. Found the best price at hawkpadsdirect.com.

--------------------
Jeff Luckritz

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gatoratty:
I may try the DTC-60's on the rear as well.

What'd he say to make you want to do that?

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gatoratty     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I tried the DTC-30's and they wore faster than my front 60's. Then we tried an HT-10 on the rear and the front edges chipped....he told me the heat caused that and recommended trying the 60's on the rear. I changed calipers and rotors so we will see.

--------------------
Paul McLester

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looking at my post I might have the 60-30 combo mixed up. Sorry about that I was going by memory. On a side note play with the different combos to figure out what works for your driving style and the tracks you spend most of your time. Keep in mind different car years have different brake bias valves as well. All of these play a big part of what will work for you in the end. Good Luck

Ken Wilkinson Verified Driver

Car #: 228
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken Wilkinson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Does anyone else have any experience with the 30 or 60 for the rears?

--------------------
Ken

JST #16 Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Detroit
Car #: GLD. # 16
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JST #16     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I recently switched to the DTC 60's in the front and the DTC 30's in the rear. I switched from the Carbotech's and the initial bite of the Hawk's is higher, so I found it easier to find the lock up point, but the performance is pretty good.

--------------------
Jeff Thompson
SM #16 - Detroit Region
Great Lake Division

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Paul - The wear rate on mine is 2.5/1, F60's to R30's. You could have something else going on in there. Proportioning valve?

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

That's why I changed all 4 calipers and rotors to see if the wear rate was being caused by a piston sticking, I will also replace the proportioning valve and see if they wear better.

--------------------
Paul McLester

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

John: how would you compare the DTCs to the Blues? I'm thinking about giving them a try next season if they're priced about the same. Heard it was wet today and they had a fire truck pumping out the corners...

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

my car came with a new set of Blues when I bought it. I had never run them before (weren't available for my car), they are ok, but I still ordered a set of Raybestos ST43's when it was time to reorder.

ST43's have great feel, good bite and last forever.

hoop

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

I went from blues to DTC. Where the blues are like a switch (on or off) you can squeeze on the DTC and then modulate the pressure easier.

--------------------
Paul McLester

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Cy - I like the DTC's. Started with Blues, tried PFC's and went back to the DTC's. Try 'em.

Bagged qualifying. Will start from the back tomorrow which means by the time I get to LH'r someone will have covered the track with mud and water. Should be fun.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports

ChrisA

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Muda:
Cy - I like the DTC's. Started with Blues, tried PFC's and went back to the DTC's. Try 'em.

Which PFCs?

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good luck tomorrow John! I heard Longo tempted Lake Lime Rock yet again today. I was going to try to make it tomorrow to start from the rear as well but real life intervened...

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Steve McMorn

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve McMorn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just a quik update:

bought the DTC60s and tried them out this weekend at Thunderbolt, NJMP ... and really liked them

Not quite the initial bite of the hawk blues but just as effective and I was able to modulate my braking pretty well

I like these and am going to stick with them next season

Cheers
S

--------------------
Steve McMorn
SSM Newbie

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Steve McMorn:
Just a quik update:

bought the DTC60s and tried them out this weekend at Thunderbolt, NJMP ... and really liked them

Not quite the initial bite of the hawk blues but just as effective and I was able to modulate my braking pretty well

Cheers
S

Did you use the front and rear?

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

bpigpen

Region: sfr
Car #: 20
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for bpigpen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I switched from Blues to DTC60's front and rear. I have a 95 and have really liked them ,great modulation and better wear for me. Raceshopper has been the best place to get them from -price and service + NASA contingency helps.

Steve McMorn

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Todaro:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve McMorn:
Just a quik update:

Cheers
S

Did you use the front and rear?
YES _ front and rear

--------------------
Steve McMorn
SSM Newbie

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: