Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » 1992 SPEC Miata Home Build Thread

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: 1992 SPEC Miata Home Build Thread
Gunpilot

Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gunpilot     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Man, I feel like I am writing to Penthouse Forum or something starting out with, "I never thought this would be me, but here I am" HAHAHA.

Background: I am in the Army and a few of my buddies are building cars to race CVAR. WAY OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE! I decided to go SPEC Miata and convinced a fellow aviator to do the same so that we could push each other to build these things. I have been reading ALOT, ordered the build guide, talked to owners at track days, and decided to get started. I heard it is cheaper to buy then build, but I like the garage time on the weekends and want the full meal deal experience. Not looking to run top of the pack, but don't want to be last either.

Picked up a 1992 Black and Tan from a friend for 1200. Drove it for about a month to feel it out. Leaving engine alone for now.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Added stripes and painted rims to make me think it was a race car....
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Bought 1990 with hardtop for hardtop. Sold car for profit = FREE HARDTOP.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Installed intake and aluminum race radiator
Photobucket

Started to take interior apart...
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

After reading different techniques and evaluating many pictures, decided to cut doors and paint...
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Found a local Miata nut and picked up box-o-parts to include full Torsen swap with drive shaft and new in the box axles, R chin spoiler, and misc trim parts.

I will be building the roll cage off the existing Hard Dog roll bar with the guidance of a friend that builds Porsche roll cages.

Recently recieved seats and quick release steering wheel.

Just ordered some Aero Catch flush mount hood pins.

Next is finding the complete suspension kit and rims/tires. (is it worth converting to 99 and up upper and lower shock hats?)

That is a quick catch up post, but I will try to make smaller more frequent posts from now on...

Rawn

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just make sure you buy some real tie-down straps.
1" straps are ok for the golf cart, not for a car with K's worth of blood, sweat, and $.

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

buy the 99 shock hats for sure

pat

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

Gunpilot

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gunpilot     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The cheap tie down straps are what I had laying around when the Miata opportunity presented itself. Got some better ones now.

All suspention components with FCM bushings and '99 shock hats are ordered and expected next week!

Still looking for best deal on 4 nozzle fire system.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sweet.
Do you have your license yet, or are you going to the school in Dec?

Always glad to see more racers in SoWDiv.

--------------------

JC-MX5

Region: NASA Florida
Car #: 33
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JC-MX5   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You can add on to a bolt in HD bar and be safe/legal? In for more info on this. Looks like a great build so far!

--------------------
Josh Chaney
Future Rookie/Build in progress...

Gunpilot

As far as the add on, hard dog sells a kit to do it, but I am gonna try and make a better one than the one offered to maximize space.

Just had a few moments and installed the removable steering wheel that has been in a box for a month. No instructions made it a fun puzzle. I really wanted the ability to retain the horn so I can continue getting it inspected.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

JC-MX5

Region: NASA Florida
Car #: 33
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for JC-MX5   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sure enough they do. I just forgot that it was built around the bolt-in bar.

--------------------
Josh Chaney
Future Rookie/Build in progress...

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

fyi i have atleast 2 cars for rent for the december school here in texas.pm me if you want to talk about using one.

Gunpilot

Installed Aerocatch hood pind today, I went with flush mount.

Located pins higher than stock bumpers
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Cut holes, hit it with black paint for a temporary fix, then installed

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Gunpilot

New suspension components in with FCM bushings and 99 shock hats. Old stuff out! I love coming home and finding goodies on the doorstep. Hope I can figure out how to get tab one into slot A. Time to browse the forum and refresh myself on all the tips and tricks.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Nsparks Verified Driver

Region: Gulf Coast
Car #: 12
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nsparks     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good luck with your build. [thumbsup] I had that same intake on my car, switched to the straight version and saw a gain of 1.5hp.

I'm starting a 1992 Miata build myself here in a month or so. Already have the car. I think I'll just leave the supercharger on it and see if anyone notices. [scratchchin]

--------------------
2009 TMC East coast Champion.
Spec Miata-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA_Dt-omsbc

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
As far as the add on, hard dog sells a kit to do it, but I am gonna try and make a better one than the one offered to maximize space.
You're on the right track, I suggest running front down-tubes through the dash, as far away from you as possible, with a real knee bar. Might be better to sell old bar and start fresh with a custom cage.

Gunpilot

Pulling bolt in bar to sell, and just ordered a cage from Sean at Miatacage. I have been looking at many cars, and the Miatacage looks fantastic!

Jay Flath

Region: North East
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Flath     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good move, that is the same route i am going with my 96.

tom_hampton

Region: SW
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tom_hampton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I can't decide between the miata cage and the advanced auto sports cage.

Also, it's interesting that you painted the tub before putting the cage in.

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton
Miata build: http://www.tomhampton.info

Gunpilot

Today...
1. Set up and installed FCM bushings and 99 shock hats on new suspension. A big thanks to FCM for the AWESOME tutorial with pics.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Front Installed...
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Rear Installed...
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Gunpilot

I also repacked front wheel bearings with synthetic grease, cleaned, rebuilt and painted calipers, and installed braided brake lines.

Next will be to swap Diff with PPF, drive shaft, and axles. All parts are on hand and sitting in garage.

Cage and nets should be in the mail.

I painted the tub first because I am on a budget, and it was a cheap easy thing to do. I know I will have to grind a little and touch up after the cage install, but at least I am done with the brunt of it.

I have found all this to be very fun, and I look forward every day to coming home from the flight line and jumping in the garage. The wife is not so sure, but I keep telling her the quicker it is done, the more time she will get.

Also, I should buy stock in gloves and hand cleaner at the rate I go through them!

Gunpilot

I am doing this all on my own with research from this forum, Chiltons, and THE build guide. I think I have a good handle on things. I have been to a few events and looked at some cars, but if there are any veterans with war stories or helpful hints that would like to "swing by" and look at my progress PM me. I would drag the car to you, but it is not quite ready for that yet.

I am in Houston near Clearlake.

SAE113 Verified Driver

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 01 & 99
Year : '92 & '94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SAE113     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

looking good

--------------------
Steven Elicati
'92 Protege ITA#01
'94 Miata ITA#99

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Cut off those dust shields! They just get in the way, cut your hands and are a nuisance.

Also, if and when you decide to repaint your car, wrap up those red and yellow suspension parts super tight or, better yet, take them off. The overspray really was a disappointment when my dad painted my car for me.

tLinder

Car #: 40
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tLinder     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Eric Barbaric:
Cut off those dust shields! They just get in the way, cut your hands and are a nuisance.

Also, if and when you decide to repaint your car, wrap up those red and yellow suspension parts super tight or, better yet, take them off. The overspray really was a disappointment when my dad painted my car for me.

(Didn't know the cars even came with dust shields). If your budget allows... some new adjustable sway bar end-links would be a good investment. [thumbsup]

Gunpilot

You read my mind. The end links are already on order (along with other odds and ends).

I was looking at my ball joints while putting in the suspension, and the rubber bushings looked flat and cracked all the way around it. Should I bother replacing bushings, or even the entire joint?

Gunpilot

I may be leaning a little forward in the saddle, but I started messing around with paint schemes using the templates I found on the forum. I was drawing random patterns and noticed one looked like a helicopter, so I went with it. Being an Apache pilot and listening to the Houston Airshow outside my office right now inspired me. Some of my friends wanted to start "Gunship Racing".............
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Bring the tail across the hood......
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

A simple flag pattern...........
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Just add numbers, and a few other stickers to make it complete.

Gunpilot

Much better without dust covers! I just wish the rears unbolted like the front. Time for a cutting wheel.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

MPR22

Region: Southwest
Car #: 22
Year : 92'
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MPR22     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Don't replace the bushings unless they are broke, lower ball joint replaceable, upper requires replacement of the entire upper control arm.

--------------------
Michael Ross

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Replace the lower ball joints.

I tried painting my calipers years ago. After 10 laps on track they were black again.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

tom_hampton

Icon 1 posted  Profile for tom_hampton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I understand the budget thing. Yes thought about doing the same thing. But, I want sure how the paint would hold up after the welding.

Where did you find the templates? I searches several times, but didn't find what you did. (nevermind, I found them. Hadn't tried the word "template". I'll post them on my blog shortly.)

Funny, I come home from the flight line, too. I design avionics for military aircraft.

[ 10-23-2010, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: tom_hampton ]

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton

tom_hampton

Btw, my brake lines had to come off the caliper headed directly at the body. The way yours are oriented my wheels hit the lines. Dunno about yours...just saying. [Smile]

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton

KeithSE

Icon 1 posted  Profile for KeithSE     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The rear dust covers are pressed on. I just hammered them off with a punch/screw driver. I am dangerous with a cutting wheel.

--------------------
Keith Andrews

You can also cut the rear dust shields off with some tin snips.

--------------------

Cliffy Chains

Region: Central FL
Car #: 17
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cliffy Chains   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Shim the sway bar mounts so they move super easy, almost like they will fall down once you pick them up, use washers, or shims so they wont bind, stick some Amsoil or Redline on the mounts, Binding sway bars are a constant maint. do them when you change your oil or trans fluid..

Nice looking build thus far, cool paint scheme with the Appache on the side. Keep up the good work... [thumbsup]

--------------------
BDR Motorsports, Autotechnik
Cliff Blanchard
Down on power 1.6
Sluggish overweight 99'

Tyler Dahl Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Utah
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tyler Dahl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

At a national race last year I asked the SM Tech that was flown in if it was legal to shim the sway bar mounts and he said no, that's what I was told from an offical

--------------------
Tyler Dahl
Race Engineering
Miatacage.com
Carbotech

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Dahl:
At a national race last year I asked the SM Tech that was flown in if it was legal to shim the sway bar mounts and he said no, that's what I was told from an offical

That might be what he said but just about every car that I have seen uses washers. If you don't the bar will lock up and will not work like it is supposed to. We are suppose to run a horn as well but I see less of those then I do washers!

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Tyler Dahl Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: Utah
Car #: 70
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Tyler Dahl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So since everyone does it's Legal?

--------------------
Tyler Dahl
Race Engineering
Miatacage.com
Carbotech

Gunpilot

Out with the old, in with the new. The diff was much easier to drop than I expected. Dropping with the PPF makes it a snap. Now we will see if I say the same about the reverse (since I am doing everything by myself).
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Gunpilot

I read everything I could find here and on the internet to help identify the Torsen. I wanted a way to identify the diff I was buying was indeed a Torsen. The only hard fact I think I took away is "Torsen" is not a brand, but short for torque sensing. Other than that, one of the write ups discussed what to look for when spinning the output shafts. When spinning the left output on my old diff, the right side spun the same direction. When spinning the left output on the "new/used" one, the right side spins the OPPOSITE direction.

At least I know the one I put in is a different type of diff. Makes me feel a little better.

jj15ball

Region: SE
Car #: 15
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jj15ball     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Check Miata.net, in the garage section there is a great pictorial showing how to tell the various diff's from one another from the outside.

--------------------
Jason Ball

Gunpilot

Parts rolling in. Painted control arms black, connected adjustable sway bar links, routed brake lines to avoid tires, and removed brake shields.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Cage should be in tomorrow. I will take the week to read the directions and hopefully attempt the install over the weekend.

It's gonna take more than a weekend, especially if it's your first one.

--------------------

Gunpilot

I just want to check that I did this correctly before moving on. I installed the suspension with 99 hats and FCM upgrade. I followed the FCM directions and have these perches that came with the shocks left over. Just making sure they are not used anywhere. The car looks soooooo darn low with not much shock travel when I finally let it back on the ground.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Looks correct. If you haven't set the ride height yet, the car could easily be too low.
The left over perches are for stock installations and are not used with the adjustable coil over kit.

--------------------

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

which end link's did you go with? i discovered tht mine are an old set of Gearhead's 1.0's, in difinate need of freshening.

as for the swaybar bushing's, i recomend using a synthetic teflon, or silicone type grease (like what come's with the poly bushing kit's). permatex also used to make a nice synth lube like that, that work's real well.

hoop

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

Gunpilot

First car, first cage....the rest goes without saying. Working a few half days, we are down to the last overhead bar. This is the only pic I have from my phone now, but I have plenty on my camera to download. Projected cage completion..THIS SUNDAY!

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Jay Flath

Region: North East
Year : 96
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jay Flath     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Looks good! I am getting my car back from getting the miata cage kit installed Saturday and then I can paint the interior and put all the goodies back in my car.

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

That's looking great you seem to be having so much fun doing it.

If anyone hasn't already said it you have some air bag stuff in plain view that is legal to remove. Others might quote the weight advantage of removing it and the wiring.

Gunpilot

Cage is done....with some trick welding.

-

Topic continued at mazdaracer.com.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: