Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Winterizing advice

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Winterizing advice
Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

With my BMW, I would change the oil, add coolant, and fill the gas tank to the top and add Sta-bil. On the miata, I'm planning to change oil and add coolant. Is it better to empty the tank, or fill it up?

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Nigel Stu Verified Driver

Region: Detroit
Car #: 66
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Nigel Stu   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Filling it up takes away space for air that could cause condensation related issues.

I usually fill the car up with 87 + sta-bil and run it for a bit. In the spring I empty that tank and put that gas in a street car.

--------------------
Ben Schaut
Schaut Speed Motorsports
GLDiv / WHRRI
#66 Blue/White/Black

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yah, I understand the reason for filling it up all the way. In the BMW there was not an option to empty the tank, and I was hoping there was a way to do it without having to empty an entire tank in the Spring.

Oh well, filler up!

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Mike Colangelo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NWR
Car #: 37
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike Colangelo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Fill it up and add some dry-gas. Don't forget to disconnect the battery, too.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

eh...if you left gas in the tank until spring, I wouldn't want to race with it. I either put in about a gallon in the truck each time I fillerup to dilute it with good gas or use it in my mower.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I found the easiest solution for me is just to drive it at the track once a month during the winter. [Smile]

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Kyle Burkhardt

I knew it would be just a matter of time before you warm climate guys chimed in!

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

UCFBrett

Region: NASA SoCal
Car #: 255
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for UCFBrett   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For what it's worth, I just finished reporting for and writing a story on winterization, and according to my sources, the fundamentals have changed a bit due to ethanol.

So, if you have ethanol in your fuel, it is best to have the tank as empty as possible for the winter. Because ethanol is hydroscopic, the less fuel there is in the tank, the less there is to attract moisture.

So, the new wisdom is to drain the tank. If that's not possible, the next best thing is to add a double-dose of the appropriate amount of Stabil (the green marine formula is more hardcore than the red) to as little fuel in the tank as possible. Run the car for about 15 minutes on the double dose, then shut it down.

When spring comes, what little fuel is in the tank will be better because of the double dose from winterization, and will be more easily diluted with fresh gas when spring comes.

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I put antifreeze in the coolant, leave the gas tank wherever it was after the last race, put an appropriate a amount of gas stabilizer in the tank; I DON'T change the oil (I'm going to change it before I run it for real in the spring; why do I want to waste the time and money doing it twice?).

Seems to work fine for me, year after year. I start it up and let it warm up once every month or two. It appreciates that I haven't forgotten it.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nobody mentioned trickle charger or disconnect the battery if it sits for a while, so I will.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Kyle Burkhardt

quote:
Originally posted by Mark de Regt:
I DON'T change the oil (I'm going to change it before I run it for real in the spring; why do I want to waste the time and money doing it twice?).

Dirty oils' got yucky stuff in it I wouldn't want sitting all winter and why would you change the oil again in the spring? It's ready to go with fresh oil?

Anyone else have input on this ethanol argument. That seems to be a game changer.

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Mark de Regt Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: NWR/Oregon; ICSCC
Car #: 70
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mark de Regt   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Burkhardt:
quote:
I DON'T change the oil (I'm going to change it before I run it for real in the spring; why do I want to waste the time and money doing it twice?).

Dirty oils' got yucky stuff in it I wouldn't want sitting all winter and why would you change the oil again in the spring? It's ready to go with fresh oil?

Anyone else have input on this ethanol argument. That seems to be a game changer.

My "dirty oil" has one race weekend in it, and is almost clear. Oil that has sat in the motor for five months strike me as being worse for then racing with than leaving my slightly-used oil in for the winter, then changing oil for my first race in the spring.

Ethanol or not, you guy are way over-analyzing this, IMHO. Do one test day, or one track day, (or even one practice session) to get yourself back into it, before your first race, and you've burned through all the "bad" stuff.

But be my guest....

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Storing a car with an empty gas tank leads to condensation and corrosion.

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here in Califoney we just drive them all winter.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If you wanted to drain the gas tank of some or all the gas, what is the best way to do it?

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Todaro:
If you wanted to drain the gas tank of some or all the gas, what is the best way to do it?

Frank:
Just jack it up and remove the drain plug in the tank's bottom. I think it's 15mm.
Rick
P.S. Seven years with two SM's never drained the tank - never filled it - never used Stabil. Zero fuel issues in the spring. I'm just saying...

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Kyle Burkhardt

Frank:

How's the car looking? I just received the rear pieces I needed today. Front just needs some massaging other than the fender.

Kyle

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

ChrisA

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Todaro:

Frank:
Just jack it up and remove the drain plug in the tank's bottom. I think it's 15mm.
Rick
P.S. Seven years with two SM's never drained the tank - never filled it - never used Stabil. Zero fuel issues in the spring. I'm just saying...

No drain plug on the '99s.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

ChrisA

Icon 1 posted  Profile for ChrisA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Colangelo:
Fill it up and add some dry-gas. Don't forget to disconnect the battery, too.

Dry-Gas is essentially just alcohol. Alcohol & gas don't chemically bond to each other well and will eventually separate. It's already near impossible to find gas without ethanol, don't add more alcohol to it.

--------------------
Chris

"Nothing can be simple. Everything's got to be a pain in the ass." - C. Adams

PEATMOSS

Region: BUCCANNEER #34
Car #: 46
Icon 1 posted  Profile for PEATMOSS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Come south, we hardly ever put them away!!! [rockband]

--------------------
PETER BOGART
REGION 34
"The home of Roebling Road"

Randy Thieme

Region: Oregon
Car #: 51
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Randy Thieme     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
It appreciates that I haven't forgotten it.

Once had a mechanic tell me cars are like women. It's when you start to neglect them you have problems.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: