Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Aerocatch hood pins on a NA

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Aerocatch hood pins on a NA
Gunpilot

Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gunpilot     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Any one have good pics of how they mounted the Aero catch on their NA car? I am having difficulty figuring out where the pins should go under the hood. Were the factory bump stops removed? Any tips/tricks would be awesome before I start cutting metal.

Mike LL

Region: Florida
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike LL     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Look on page 1 of th 1999 build log, he has a pic about half way down looking from the passenger fender behind the radiator

--------------------
Mike Lliteras
Sponsor, Mechanic, Owner and Dad
NASA FL

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here ya go. Put your hood pins in first and then align the catch to the pins before drilling the holes. That's how I did it.

-

- ]

-

-

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Gunpilot

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gunpilot     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It seems you had to flip the latches around to use the stock bumper mounts. What if I were to drill a new hole for the pins so they can be mounted thin side down as recommended? Thanks for the pics.

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You could do that too. I already had hole drilled there for the other hood pins. Also, saw them mounted like mine on other 1.6's. The only reason to have them turned the other way is so that in case they unlatch the air pressure would push to close them rather than open them. You can paint the tops a color that contrasts the body so that if one did pop you'd spot it quick.

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Gibscreen Verified Driver Series Champ

Region: NASA-SoCal
Car #: 23
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Gibscreen   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gunpilot:
It seems you had to flip the latches around to use the stock bumper mounts. What if I were to drill a new hole for the pins so they can be mounted thin side down as recommended? Thanks for the pics.

We have ours mounted thin side facing forward using the same holes that Muda used. No clearance problems. There's not much room, but there's enough.

--------------------
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2010 NASA Nationals TTE Champion
2008/2009 WERC Champion
2007 NASA SoCal SM Champion
rjracing.net
Weekend-Racer.com

SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I was wondering about the fit too as they are on my build list. I already have them installed on another car and love them.
I have also seen the latch mounted sideways pointing at each other and that was on a speed world challenge car.
I had everything out of my other car and drilled the hole in the hood from the bottom to make to sure to get the right spot.
Good luck and post pictures when you are done.

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Gunpilot

I got them installed and pics under 1992 home build thread.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: