Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » torsen question

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: torsen question
guthrie 21

Region: 29
Car #: 21
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guthrie 21     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Replaced my mazda comp diff with a torsen after the comp diff grenaded on me at mido .pulled the torsen out of my 99 street car ,check the vin # and inspected it with axles out to verify it was truley a torsen .When I ran with Hoosiers it would feel/sound like a open diff ,nasa events I would run Toyos and not get the open effect as bad .last event at mido on a test-tune fri I tried hoosier vs toyo to track lap times,hoosiers were a second faster but both tires would cause the diff to have a open effect. Has anyone had this open effect out of a torsen? Dont know to try another torsen or go back to a comp diff. SM 21

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've driven an open and know the feeling. I've never had that with a torsen, but I'm told if you lift the rear wheel, it will feel like an open.

The Hoosiers sticking better and spinning more makes me think that something is up with your setup and you're getting the inside rear off the ground.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How do you identify whether your car has the torsen originally? I'm wondering whether my 2002 model car has it.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Shop Teacher

Region: SF Nor Cal
Car #: #39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Shop Teacher     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I get that open feeling in T2 and T11 at Infineon with my torsen. If you call Mazda Performance and give them the vin # they will tell you if you have a torsen.

--------------------
Al Angulo
Auto Instructor
Ford Senior Master Tech
ASE Master Tech

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Search "Miata differential spotters guide" (miata.net) or see if you can decode the vin. Having had one hell of a time trying to identify whether I really bought a T2 though, there seem to be enough different versions with enough tell tale signs that aren't 100% foolproof, the best way to be sure is look at the gears. Having a 2002, you could also have the Fuji Tugachi (sp?) LSD which throws another wrinkle in.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Shop Teacher:
I get that open feeling in T2 and T11 at Infineon with my torsen.

It's why I sold mine and stayed with the Mazacomp unit. It may puke up it's guts every fifteen or twenty races, but both wheels drive when the rear end gets really light entering Mid Ohio's Thunder Valley! [Smash]
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I had the same issue with my Torsen at Mid-Ohio I get wheel spin if I push to hard in the Key Hole and get spin coming off of turn 11 entering Thunder Vally. So I read of the literature about how to confirm by visual inspection.

However the test is, take it out and Dump the clutch and do a hole shot. You really have to dump it to get both wheels spinning a Torsen will transfer the power back and forth to each wheel so both wheels spin but it going between the two quickly.

If you only get one wheel smoking its Open. The first time i did it I did not rev it enough you have to punish it. That will answer your question.

Torsen's do not lock up solid like your Mazda Comp did in the corners,

Rick is right coming from a comp it does not feel the same. The comp will give you a tick more performance at a price. Torsen is the ROCK.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

guthrie 21

Region: 29
Car #: 21
Icon 1 posted  Profile for guthrie 21     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the replys,sounds like it is normal to have some slippage with a torsen,slippage could increase with if the setup is not dialed in.The season started with 50.2 setup,car felt good ,times were good ,no offs so I left it alone.It will go back on scales in off season so I will see where I am at. My understanding is that the 99s all use torsens do you guys see any slippage,are you guys required to go with the torsen...... SM 21

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have not looked into it for sure, but I am pretty sure you can get a mazda comp for a 99 or any year. Its just a matter of budget, If you can't afford to be replacing it, then Torsen is the ticket. If you got cash and can either have a spare or want the slightly better grip of the comp, then the comp is the ticket. I have heard the comp will let go after awhile but some also report many seasons on a comp. My two cents.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

TillerTech

Region: SoPac
Car #: na
Year : 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Todaro:
I have not looked into it for sure, but I am pretty sure you can get a mazda comp for a 99 or any year. Its just a matter of budget, If you can't afford to be replacing it, then Torsen is the ticket. If you got cash and can either have a spare or want the slightly better grip of the comp, then the comp is the ticket. I have heard the comp will let go after awhile but some also report many seasons on a comp. My two cents.

Yes you can, its from a 2nd gen Rx7, though not SM legal.

--------------------
Miata Race glass and CF from Legacy Molds. 4 1/2# CF Hood
http://www.jnent.net

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: