Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Check those upper caliper bolts!

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Check those upper caliper bolts!
Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

-

Ran the EMRA sprint Saturday at Summit Point. Hard contact by another car on the front stretch brought out a black flag all which I was first to receive. As I came down pit road the right rear started squealing horribly. As I stopped at the end of pit road, the right rear tire blew. Car would not roll. After a tow to the paddock we discovered that the top caliper bolt had fallen out allowing the caliper to flop outward. It rubbed the wheel for the length of pit road until it finally grabbed and ripped out the inside of the wheel.

All I can say is someone above was looking out for me. If not for the black flag all, I would have screamed down the front stretch and who knows what may have happened at turn one.

Also, a BIG THANKS to Greg with Meathead Racing who tried to help me get back in the race when we thought I just had a flat. He also went to their shop and provided a replacement bolt to get the car repaired for Sunday time trials.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

N A S T Y !

Dude that's just not right. I do torque my caliper bolt's everytime I crack them open... in fact, I think I torque everything.

Wow! Glad it didn't get any more serious than that.

hoop

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They were torqued to factory specs two race weekends ago. Loctite going on next time.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've been told to swap my pads right to left every race weekend so that they wear more evenly. Plus, that ensures you've checked the pads and the torque every weekend.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have had that same thing happen and it cut the wheel in half. That is something I check every weekend now.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Road America eats them! It loosens and breaks the pins all the time.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Not sure if I'm misusing the terminology. The bolt that fell out was the 14mm bolt that connects the entire caliper to the upright. It was not the slide pin that holds the pad saddle to the caliper.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

Chris Windsor Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
windsorcustoms.com

Region: WDCR,
Car #: 38
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Windsor   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Nope, not had those come loose just the guide-pin Allen head. Locktite 609 is the cure, heat for removal.

--------------------
2011 Season schedule coming soon
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

Jamie Tucker Series Champ

ARRC 2010 Champ

Region: CFR
Car #: 97
Year : 1990/99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jamie Tucker     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Mine was the bolt that holds the caliper bracket on. When it came loose it flipped down and cut the wheel in half. I am sure that I must have failed to tighten the bolt.

--------------------
2010 ARRC Champion
2010 CFR Champion
2010 instigator of the year
2010/2011 Andrew Von C Wingman

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I prefer blue to red. Something like a 246 which is good for continuous heat of 450F and doesn't require a torch to remove.

I only use red for stuff I don't plan to remove ever.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Steve Sturm Verified Driver

Region: WDC
Car #: 90
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve Sturm     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Teamfour:
All I can say is someone above was looking out for me. If not for the black flag all, I would have screamed down the front stretch and who knows what may have happened at turn one.

You're welcome.

Spence Gatrell

Region: Oregon
Car #: 27
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Spence Gatrell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Safety wire is the only way to fly when it comes to brake components

--------------------
When in doubt.. Stand on it!

Ken SM-94 Verified Driver
Veteran Member

Car #: 94
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ken SM-94   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
If not for the black flag all, I would have screamed down the front stretch and who knows what may have happened at turn one.

Well, let me tell you what would happen.. [Smile]

When you got to the end of the straight and hit the brakes the caliper would have rocked forward enough on the remainng bolt to allow the piston to pop out and you wouldn't have any brakes. Ask me how I know. [yep]

Mine waited until I got behind the wall to lock up and punch a hole through the wheel just like yours did. A crew menber left the bolts loose after a rotor replacement.

Now if it happens on the front of the car (different crew member) count on replacing the wheel, tire, upper and lower control arms, caliper, rotor, inner and outer tie rod, brake line, hub, spindle, brake pads, subframe, and fender at least.

Ken

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Sturm:
quote:
Originally posted by Teamfour:

You're welcome.
Steve, thanks! However I never wish misfortune on someone, even if it is to my benefit. Hope to see you on track soon.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Team Four Racing

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

As Drago said, Road America eats caliper bolts for breakfast. Since we spend sooo much time there, we have added removing the rear calipers to check the upper pins as part of our normal prep. At Road America we remove the calipers every night and put a allan wrench on the caliper pins.

Caliper bracket bolts have always been part of our prep.

At the Runoffs I ran out of caliper bolts, and I carru at least 6 sets in the trailer.

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Reading this thread makes me feel pretty lucky. Seven seasons of roughly ten race weekends per and nary a (knock on wood) brake bolt issue! Indeed never used Loctite on them either ... but I do torque those dudes to the max!

I did loose the outer LCA bolt on the left side in 2005. It was weekend #1 on a new build. Two weeks later the lower alternator bolt fell out. After those two experiences I wrenched the car from end to end and indexed (white marker)every critical bolt head for visual reference!
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We recently discovered there are two sizes of pins in the rear, with one design having quite a few more threads. I'm guessing that would be the newest version. Not sure since we were just looking for a pin that didn't fit so loose, and started visually comparing them. Anyone else notice this?

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Glenn Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Glenn     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
At the Runoffs I ran out of caliper bolts, and I carru at least 6 sets in the trailer
Thanks Dave! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Glenn
Crew chief Meathead Racing, NE Region Sales Division Race Engineering, The GOLD standard in SM engines, Occasional race slave for OPM Autosports

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

When the caliper mounting bolt comes out of the front at 120+ mph at the end of the straight and on the brakes, it gets UGLY. Rim cut in half, pads go inside the flat tire and piston blows out.
Makes it really hard to slow down and turn.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Danny Steyn Verified Driver

Region: SE
Car #: 39
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Danny Steyn   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

^^^^
You think?!

--------------------
Danny
http://www.dannysteyn.com
http://www.adeptstudios.com
OPM Autosports | Traqmate | Rossini Racing Engines
2010 June Sprints Champ, 2010 ARRC SMX Champ
2009 SARRC Champ, 2009 SEDiv ECR Champ, 2009 FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by davew:
At the Runoffs I ran out of caliper bolts, and I carru at least 6 sets in the trailer.

Dave

Dave
Not having a problem with those unless we forget to loctite? [Frown] Are they stretching or stripping?

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Car #: 68
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No way, the brand spanking new 99s don't have problems like that!!! It's just the vintage 1.6 owners that have to worry about our ancient parts getting hogged and stretched [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

At Road America I have seen them do everything, back out, strip, and break. The breakage is what caused us to start pulling the caliper and tightening with an allan wrench. Found one cracked and broke it of when tightening. Could have been really bad.

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

DaveC Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Milwaukee/Midwestern Council
Car #: 23
Icon 1 posted  Profile for DaveC     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thankfully the pin broke (sheered) on me at the end of braking for 8 at Road America and I saw the pads bouncing to the apex or 12 would have been really ugly.

I have seen others have issue with the bracket bolts thankfully never experienced it though.

The rumble strips at Road America are brutal on everything.

--------------------
Dave Cox

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You guys are talking about the semi-fixed rear caliper bolt, that the caliper pivots on when the other 8mm bolt under the plastic cap is removed, correct?

I fiddle with my brakes between weekends too and found that one of those semi-fixed pins kept loosening during every event late last season. Turns out the hole in the caliper bracket had become enlongated (probably due to the bolt being loose ONCE) so the bolt would work its way loose very easily. Needed a new bracket to solve the issue.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

l8tbreakr

Region: NER
Car #: 17
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for l8tbreakr     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I dodged a bullet like this once in my bmw. Front caliper bolt dropped out and the caliper had become wedged and locked up against the rotor preventing the wheel from turning. I managed to limp it back to the paddock took it apart and realized how lucky I was. Over the years I've become pretty diligent about putting bolts on the wire wheel before reassembly to clean up threads and I use loctite blue on just about everything under the car and check most every bolt on brakes and suspension between weekends.

--------------------
-----------
AJ Goldsmith
Westborough, MA

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: