Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Removing clockspring from a '94

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Removing clockspring from a '94
Ray Meister Made Donation to Website

Region: SFR
Car #: 38
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ray Meister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm putting a Momo wheel on my '94 and have removed the clockspring from the steering column. There are 3 wires (wraped in black plastic cover) that run from the back of the clockspring - can I just cut these or do I need I need to do something else with them? [Confused] Note that the airbag was previously removed. Thanks for your help.
Ray

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I couldn't find my clock spring in the basement full of boxes, but I'm pretty sure I didn't cut anything when I removed it. I do remember using brute force to destroy it on removal.

See if you can trace the wires back to a connector somewhere. I poked my head under the dash but nothing in the jumble of wires jogged my memory. If you think about it though, would you want to make that part permanently attached to the wire harness if you were the factory building the cars or something that could be plugged in at the right time?

(edit: I did look at the parts lists though and on my '95, the combination switch is separate parts but the '94 has them as one big lump of parts w/ 4 plugs on the back)

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ray Meister     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Keith,
I did as you suggested and traced the wires back and found a blue/orange connector where I was able to disconnect the wires and remove the whole assembly. Thanks [thumbsup]
Ray

tom_hampton

Region: SW
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for tom_hampton   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I did the same thing...

tomhampton.info/2010/11/quick-release-and-putting-it-back-together/

--------------------
---
Tom Hampton
Miata build: http://www.tomhampton.info

Tom,
Nice pics and description.
Ray

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: