Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » New build - Does the parcel shelf get removed?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: New build - Does the parcel shelf get removed?
Alberto M Goncalves

Region: SFR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm in the process of stripping the interior in preparation for a cage.

Is this long "parcel shelf" part kept or is it replaced with something else?

Mine is nasty and if I need to keep it, I'm going to replace it with something that won't require me to get a tetanus shot.

Thanks.

-

Mike C Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: WDCR - 042
Car #: 75
Year : 93 & 95 & 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mike C   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Clean it, prime it with pit bull primer, paint it.

--------------------
Mike Collins
MEATHEAD Racing
http://www.SHEETZ.com
The MEATHEAD Racing 2010 Calendar is up!!!!
www.MEATHEADRacing.com
SMAC Member
WDCR-SCCA SM Drivers Rep.
ALL OPINIONS ON RULES OR SPECIFICATIONS ARE JUST THAT, MY OPINIONS!

Alberto M Goncalves

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If I need to keep it, I'm going to swap parts with someone who is buying some interior parts from me. Less time invested that way. [Smile]

So, I need to keep that part?

Johnny D Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Hot Member

Car #: 88 SM
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes you need it, look at the other builds for guidance.
It's not that bad, use a wire brush.

Rule of thumb for me for body panels...
If you can put a screw driver through it (not with a hammer) just with your hand poking at it hard, replace it or repair.
Otherwise do what Mike says.

J~

--------------------
Avatar Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww9cFE3lKcA

Alberto M Goncalves

Thanks gents.

I've spent so much time wire brushing and painting stuff that I'm just tired of it. If I can save myself some labor and time, I'll take it. I have plenty of other more important things to do with what little time I have - like install my diff.

Hot Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Johnny D     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

No need to make it pretty just to cut holes in it for the cage for now.
J~

--------------------

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Alberto M Goncalves:
Thanks gents.

I've spent so much time wire brushing and painting stuff that I'm just tired of it. If I can save myself some labor and time, I'll take it. I have plenty of other more important things to do with what little time I have - like install my diff.

A real bunch of time can be saved by taking stuff to a self service sand/bead blast place. [yep] YES, it cost me $1.25 per minute at the place I go but it's clean & you'll be surprised how much you can clean in a hurry if you organized. Sheet metal, spindles, hubs & ???

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

Alberto M Goncalves

Wow. Never knew such a place existed. How did you find it?

Hot Member

Al, I did a search for Sand / bead Blast in SJ and found this. There's more.

South Bay Sandblasting
1 review Categories: San Jose, United States Automotive San Jose, United States Home Services Contractors Automotive, Contractors [Edit]
San Jose, CA 95101
(408) 927-6636

Here's a review...
Great Service! I just bought an old trailer that I am restoring. I needed it sandblasted to remove rust and old paint. I called and talked to James. He quoted me a very reasonable price including pickup and delivery. Estimated time was 3 days. James picked up the trailer Saturday morning and had it back to me by Noon Sunday! Good job on the sandblasting way over achieved on the delivery timing.

J~

--------------------

Muda Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
ComingToAMirrorNearYou

Region: WDC
Car #: #23
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Muda     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What a great idea!

--------------------
Muda Motorsports
"We're all here 'cause we're not all there."

Jeff Longo Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: NER
Car #: 46
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jeff Longo     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So covering the rust with a bobble head Dachshund is not an option ? [nope] [Big Grin]

--------------------
LTD Racing
Chief Of Inappropriate Comments

Mitch Taylor

Region: FLA
Car #: 97
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Mitch Taylor     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

osfo and a can of rustoleum and off to the races

Alberto M Goncalves

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Longo:
So covering the rust with a bobble head Dachshund is not an option ? [nope] [Big Grin]

I was thinking more Mo, Larry and Curly bobble heads but you need to give them a clean stage to stand on. [Smile]

SCCA_Racer

Region: 33 SFR
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SCCA_Racer   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So if you add a bobble head then ... are they classified as a passenger ... and then is the bobble head required to have a helmet. Ok I know that was lame but I had to say it. [Razz]

--------------------
Joshua Fine
SCCA member 323214 since 2003
Novice Permit in 2010
Racing 2011

Alberto M Goncalves

I prefer to refer to them as "crew". [Smile]

Weekend Warrior Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Racing to Cure ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease)

Region: WDCR
Car #: 56 "Earl"
Year : 1990, 1999 soon to be SM
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Weekend Warrior   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by SCCA_Racer:
So if you add a bobble head then ... are they classified as a passenger ... and then is the bobble head required to have a helmet. Ok I know that was lame but I had to say it. [Razz]

Helmet and HANS in 12....

--------------------
http://www.olsinvestfinancial.com
http://www.alsinfo.org
http://www.weekendwarriorracing.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: