Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Replace used suspension bushings?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Replace used suspension bushings?
Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I picked up a set of used control arms from all but 1/4 of a parted out 1.6 and I'm wondering whether it's worth it to replace all the rubber bushings.

It was about a 90k car that the former owner maitained meticulously until they bent a front corner. I put new ones on both sides of the front when I mashed my own car a bit but now I have a full set of spare rears and one side front. The rears on my car still have the original bushings and I was debating changing them this winter.

a) Replace the bushings out of general principal because they're nearly 20 years old, stick them on the car and use the ones with old bushings as spares?
b) Replace both sets so if I need to use the spares, I won't have to screw with them again until I need to install more spares?
c) Inspect them somehow and if they ain't broke, don't fix em, and use the money for tires?

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

SAE113 Verified Driver

Region: Central Florida
Car #: 01 & 99
Year : '92 & '94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for SAE113     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

keep the control arms with the best bushings as spares and install new bushings in the ones that will go on the car.

--------------------
Steven Elicati
'92 Protege ITA#01
'94 Miata ITA#99

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sounds like a plan. I was leaning that direction.
Thanks Steven.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: