Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Tie rods: manual vs. power - are they different?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Tie rods: manual vs. power - are they different?
Brandon F. Verified Driver

Region: NNJR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Brandon F.     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Subject says it all.

Are they different in length/diameter/anything?

Another question: judging from the "NA_Collision_Guide" PDF I have, it looks like Mazda went all PS from 1996 onward.

Is that right too?

Thanks!

MazdaSteve Verified Driver

Region: CCR
Car #: 14 SM
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for MazdaSteve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Yes, different threads (fine vs corse) and different diameters...

--------------------
Seneca Motorsports
Sponsored by Race Engineering
"American by birth, CONSERVATIVE by the grace of GOD"!

Icon 1 posted  Profile for MazdaSteve     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Clarification - inner tie rods.

--------------------
Seneca Motorsports

David Luney Verified Driver

Region: ATL
Car #: 29-Killed
Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Luney     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have seen NB's with manual racks, few and far between but I have seen them.

Bob Thornton - Race Engineering Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. - Sir Winston Churchill

Region: Central Carolina
Car #: 48
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bob Thornton - Race Engineering   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Dan Tiley of Tispeed Engerneering re builds racks and plugs the power racks which work better than a stock rack.
We use Dans racks on all our cars.
His number is 704 402 4027

--------------------
Bob Thornton
http://www.raceengineering.org
Race Engineering Championship Winning Engines

The converted power rack on the NA cars has actually less turns lock-to-lock than the manual rack making it a bit faster.

--------------------
Seneca Motorsports

Funracer Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Funracer     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Brandon F.:
Subject says it all.

Are they different in length/diameter/anything?

Another question: judging from the "NA_Collision_Guide" PDF I have, it looks like Mazda went all PS from 1996 onward.

Is that right too?

Thanks!

The manual steering rack Inners are also harder to find and more expensive if that is an issue.
I bent one at Nelson school last year and while many people at the track had power steering spare inners, no one had a manual steering one. Neither did the 2 or 3 chain auto parts places in town. They are also left and right specific so if you are lucky enough to find one it has to be for the correct side.

One of the folks from the school brought me one the next morning to help us finish the school (thanks Mike Puskar!). I learned my newbie lesson and now stock spares for my manual rack.

Regards
Neil

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: