Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » How to wire in cutoff switch in '99?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: How to wire in cutoff switch in '99?

Region: Central Carolinas
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for 101101     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have a Longacre (4 post) cutoff switch. I tried searching for a writeup or wiring diagram on how to wire it up, but couldn't find one here or through Google. I believe the two large posts are placed in line of the positive battery cable, but what do I do for the two smaller posts to kill the motor when it's on?

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

where did you locate your kill switch?

Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Icon 1 posted  Profile for 101101     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In the main hoop of the cage on the passenger side (same location as the miatacage.com setup).

-Bob-

Icon 1 posted  Profile for -Bob-     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I just purchase a new Longacre 4 post cutoff switch from OPM during the ARRC. The longacre 4 post has a wiring diagram in the package. If you did not receive it do the following;

Large wire from negative battery to one large post on the cutoff switch.

Large wire from positive battery to other large post on the cutoff switch.

The small wire on the alternator goes to the main fuse block. Most people cut this wire at the fuse block but to get things working remove the wire from the back of the alternator and tape it off since it will have power during operation.

Put a new wire from the alternator all the way back to one of the small posts on the cutoff switch.

On the other small post take that back to the positive post on the battery.

Your done...test for success

When you do your transponder put the power wire on the small post coming from the alternator. If you put the transponder on the small post going to the positive post of the battery your transponder will not power off unless you remove the battery cable from the battery post.

When I did my car I also ran a 10ga wire from the small post coming from the alternator back to the dash area where it is connected to a power fuse block giving me 10+ power connections at the block which is under the dash.

Clear as mud??

Bad Al Bell Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: WDC
Car #: 3
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bad Al Bell   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by -Bob-:

Large wire from negative battery to one large post on the cutoff switch.

Large wire from positive battery to other large post on the cutoff switch.

???
Direct short on battery if I'm reading this right

--------------------
"Bad"Al Bell
SM/SSM #3 "JD"
SM #09 "Nadine"
2006 MARRS SM Champion
DC Region SM Driver's Co-Rep
SM cars for sale and rent, and rent-to-own
www.MEATHEADRacing.com

quote:
Originally posted by -Bob-:
Put a new wire from the alternator all the way back to one of the small posts on the cutoff switch.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner -- it's been too cold outside to convince myself to do any work on the Miata lately. Is this connection the post coming out the side of the alternator with the plastic snap cover on it?

Also, I agree with Bad Al Bell; I think where you said negative battery cable to switch I think you meant to say the cable which was originally connected to the battery positive?

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The easiest way to do this with your kill switch location is as follows...

Take your factory positive battery terminal wire and instead of to the battery, run it to the kill switch and put a lug end on and bolt it to one side of the big studs on kill switch. Buy a 4 ft battery cable from Napa or autozone and run it from the other big lug on kill switch and back to positive battery terminal.

For the small connections on the kill switch. The alternator excite wire runs right there below access panel ( white with red tracer)cut it and run each end( you willhave to add 12-14 inches of wire) to small lugs on the kill switch.
This way you are only running about 12 inches of wire.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Is the access panel below the parcel shelf? I don't remember seeing it before, but when I was stripping out the car to get it caged I wasn't exactly looking for that kind of stuff.

If you have a picture that would be incredibly helpful.

MegaModerator

It is that be long tin plate that covers the front of the trunk area, not really an access panel. The left to right plate behind seats. I will look for a picture.

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Oh, by access panel do you mean the silver colored (aluminum?) panel directly between the gas tank access panel and the driver (colored red in this picture)?
 -

I'm assuming that based on the short amount of wire I'll need to run it's in the wire bundle on the passenger side of the car under there; is that right?

MegaModerator

correct and correct
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

Bill Cullen Verified Driver

Region: 61
Car #: 89
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bill Cullen     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the clarification Jim, I'm at that point with my new car.

Bill

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: