Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Timing question

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Timing question
Reggie Verified Driver

Region: Delta
Car #: 77
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Reggie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I'm running 14 deg. BTDC on my SM, but someone has suggested it would run better at the higher speeds with only 10-12 degrees BTDC. The larger number of degrees helps with torque at low speeds, but allegedly kill the top end. What say you guys? any experience on this stuff? Thanks. R

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It's all trade offs. Ideally, you would want the flamefront to start "pushing" on the top of the cylinder at something like 10-15 degrees after ATDC if memory serves. So, depending on fuel type (burn rate) and rpm the exact best BTDC number moves. Computer advance tries to make up the the rpm variable.

13-15 BTDC is a "normal" range for "in the dark" tuning. Unless you are going to tune on the dyno to see how the timing affects your specific motor, probably best to leave it at 14 BTDC.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

TillerTech

Region: SoPac
Car #: na
Year : 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Also, the timing marks are just an approximation.
I had one here that ran like stink with 18 indicated and didn't detonate.

John

--------------------
Miata Race glass and CF from Legacy Molds. 4 1/2# CF Hood
http://www.jnent.net

Reggie Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Reggie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I do well at low rpms, good torque, but at highest speeds a couple of cars pull away from me very slowly. I would rather pull away from THEM. So, should I lower the timing a couple of degrees to see what happens? Or just leave it alone? [Smile]

Teamfour Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: WDCR
Car #: 04
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Teamfour   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Reggie, call Bob Thornton at Race Engineering. He will give you the low down and is glad to help always. You will also find that timing will not by itself help you pull away.

--------------------
Lee Tilton
1993 Meowta #04
Brimtek Motorsports/ Team Four Racing
Team Four Racing

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TillerTech:
Also, the timing marks are just an approximation.
I had one here that ran like stink with 18 indicated and didn't detonate.

John

The timing marks can be off quite a bit. Not sure why but much more than you'd expect just with variations in the plastic cover. You really have to actually find TDC, see where the marks line up, and use that as a reference point.

Put some kind of depth gauge (like a long socket extension) down the #1 spark plug hole, and see how little the piston moves when you rock the crank a few degrees off TDC.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Overdog Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Reggie:
I do well at low rpms, good torque, but at highest speeds a couple of cars pull away from me very slowly. I would rather pull away from THEM. So, should I lower the timing a couple of degrees to see what happens? Or just leave it alone? [Smile]

I would say timing won't turn that around in itself. You are probably just being out motored or have too much drag.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN
set up guru:
Gilfus Racing, Austin TX

Reggie Verified Driver

We're only talking about a very little difference in speed, 1 or 2 mph on the straight. I'm faster in most corners. Is the timing immaterial, then? Or do I need to advance or retard to gain mph? Staying the same doesn't seem like an option, so which should I try-since the timing marks are not right?

TillerTech

Region: SoPac
Car #: na
Year : 89
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TillerTech     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The correct way to find tdc is the positive stop method. I took one form the Rotax Max motor, lengthened the wrench end and it works just fine.

I would suspect the issue of top end ponies at this point is more AFR and not timing. A good dyno can help identify this. What vintage car?

John

--------------------
Miata Race glass and CF from Legacy Molds. 4 1/2# CF Hood
http://www.jnent.net

Pack Fodder

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by TillerTech:
The correct way to find tdc is the positive stop method. I took one form the Rotax Max motor, lengthened the wrench end and it works just fine.

Not having a degree wheel or any idea what the positive stop method is, I turned mine about 20* one way, measured the depth of the piston, made a mark, turned the crank until I found the same piston depth the other side of TDC, made another mark, then found the midpoint between the two marks.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

Reggie Verified Driver

My car is a '90 model, 1.6L. Thanks, guys.

Pack Fodder

quote:
Originally posted by Reggie:
We're only talking about a very little difference in speed, 1 or 2 mph on the straight. I'm faster in most corners. Is the timing immaterial, then? Or do I need to advance or retard to gain mph? Staying the same doesn't seem like an option, so which should I try-since the timing marks are not right?

The timing is not immaterial, but there are many more variables involved than a simple turn of the CAS. Besides, if there is a magic formula to solving the annoying 1-2 mph on the straight problem, *I* wouldn't broadcast it here. I'd keep that dirty little secret tucked away in a safe and be the guy going 1-2 mph faster at the end of the straight unless cash is changing hands.

(BTW- If someone tells you there is a secret and what it is...please PM me!) [Wink]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

pat slattery Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: cincy
Car #: 79
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for pat slattery     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Your probably just racing against some 99 cars Reggie [Smile]

--------------------
keeping the faith for the 1.6

Arrow Karts

soupy

Region: Mohud
Car #: 98
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for soupy     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Reggie, not trying to be a smart$$$ here but just because you think you are faster in the corners doesn't mean you are faster OUT of them. It's not always the motor. Just saying don't be shocked if you get the timing where "everyone" runs it and it doesn't fix you're problem.

--------------------
Charlie Campbell
Race Engineering
carbotech brakes

Reggie Verified Driver

The other car is a 1.6 junk yard motor. My car, also a 1.6, while in ownership of the previous owner won every race entered the year before i bought the car. It had been a crate engine before John Phillips Racing worked on it for the previous owner. Don't know what he did, but the car was fast. When I pull ahead of the competitor and then pull away, passing in side by side racing in 3rd gear,then quickly shifting to 4th, his car slowly overtakes mine on the straight, while running side by side (no drafting by either of us). Someone suggested that I should reduce the timing to 10-12 degrees BTDC(from a reading of about 13-14 degrees BTDC) to help with top speeds, though higher timing would help in lower rpms. I have new NGK racing plugs, balanced injectors, and a high-revving, well-maintained engine. Unless my competitor's car is lighter than mine (mine is 25 lbs over the weight limit), there must be something amiss for a junker to outpull in this manner a tried and proven crate engine with great compression (now). I shift quick, at optimum rpms. Yes, in the corner at issue, I'm faster both INTO and OUT of it. I have momentum and I pull ahead in 3rd, but in upper 3rd gear and then in 4th at higher speeds, I lose the lead. If not timing, What are your thoughts? Call Bob T? [Good idea;I plan to do that, too.]

Apex to Apex

Region: NASA Mid-West
Car #: 077
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Apex to Apex     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Also depends upon octane too, does it not? 87 vs. 93 or racing fuel?

--------------------
"Driving is a serious business" - John Milner, 'American Graffiti'

Reggie Verified Driver

93 ethanol laced fuel. I'm thinking of buying the unadulterated fuel at the track next time. What do you prefer: 87 or 93?

Overdog Driver

What's your AFR across the rev band? What's your engine leakdown? What's the fish scale say?

--------------------
James York

sponsored by: