Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » radiator question

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: radiator question
martinatlanta Verified Driver

Region: South East
Car #: 73
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for martinatlanta     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I finished building my 1.6 this fall and installed a decent "automatic" radiator which has worked good in fall and winter temps. Will I need an upgraded Alum. one next year or did the old ones work pretty good back in the day? Just planning ahead. Which brand, if I need to buy?

Frank Todaro

Region: Ohio Valley Region
Car #: 35
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Frank Todaro     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I cannot tell you if you really need the aluminum Rad or not, I have one and it works fine. my first one was the Koyo its pretty good but pretty expensive. When I toasted that one from a wreck, bought a Godspeed on EBay and its about 100.00 less expensive and works well.

--------------------
Frank
Member: No Pain Racing

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

yes, you will want to upgrade.

Koyo 53MM or Sprigfield Dyno Rad.

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Terry Whitlock Verified Driver

Region: BUCCANEER
Car #: 23 SSM, 36 SM
Year : 1992, 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Terry Whitlock     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The Panic Motorsports team has had good luck with the Mizu Radiators at the bargin price of $240.00. Battle tested at VIR 24 hour race
http://yhst-76310268609575.stores.yahoo.net/mizuradiators.html

--------------------
Terry Whitlock

Scottie

Region: WDCR
Car #: sm 19
Year : 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Scottie     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I have had really good results with my cxracing rad. It is basically like the koyo. 53 mm, and comes with a cap. I believe it was 150 duckets.

--------------------
How do I fit this ls7 into my mia... nevermind.

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The OEM auto radiator does a decent job cooling. We ran it for hours straight when it was mid 90s at the track. We tried a stock manual one that overheated early in practice. On the other hand, we had really long straights and it was a chump car race so not much drafting. It's nowhere near as efficient as my big Koyo but we were limited to what we thought we could get away with. [Smile]

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+1 on the CXracing aluminum radiator. I have been using and abusing it in the scorching Texas heat this season and it has held up perfectly so far. And less than $150 shipped.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Steven Holloway Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv!

Region: Lonestar
Car #: 97
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steven Holloway     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

+2 for the CX radiator. Temp stays at 192 with the stock thermostat regardless. Even my oil temp has been lower-205 instead of 220.

--------------------
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's got electrical problems.

D.B. Cutler Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Huge Member

Region: Detroit
Car #: 5
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for D.B. Cutler     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[twocents] If you are down south, I'd say you need a larger radiator as 1.6Ls don't like heat at all. I have the big Koyo and it's been great.

martinatlanta Verified Driver

Region: South East
Car #: 73
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for martinatlanta     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks everone! good advice..

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: