Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Best gauges to fit in '99 dash vents?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Best gauges to fit in '99 dash vents?
dp35 Verified Driver

Region: SFR
Car #: 51
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for dp35     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

What type & size gauges do you guys put in the '99 center dash vents? Would prefer idiot lights also.

Thanks.

--------------------
2010 SCCA Regional Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E1 Class winner, MX-5 Cup

fishguyaz

Region: AZ/SoPac
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for fishguyaz     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

2 1/16"

edit: my vents have what looks like the outer ring of the vent was left installed in the car.
i think that is why my gauges are smaller than those using as posted below.
sounds like either will work.

[ 12-14-2010, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: fishguyaz ]

--------------------
Josh Pitt
AZ Region

Niklas Falk

Region: Sweden
Car #: 92
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Niklas Falk   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by dp35:
Would prefer idiot lights also.

Regarding idiot lights I have pinched 10mm LEDs between the instrument cluster cover (the right side) and the dash.
I have aimed them (just bending the legs) so they hit my eyes by reflection in the windscreen (i.e. HUD). It works wonderfully for the shift light and oil pressure (coolant pressure will be added during the winter).
I have adjusted the power (the in line resistor) so it cant be missed even in direct sunlight (ok, we don't have the SoCal sun here....). If you run enduros in the dark you would need a trim pot to be able to adjust or you will be blinded.

Having the warnings straight in the line of sight have made me lazy and I don't look down on the gauges anymore, I don't know if that's better in the long run, but the OEM gauges doesn't tell you much anyway [Smile] .

George Munson Verified Driver

Region: 83
Car #: 127
Year : 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for George Munson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

For what its worth I just finished my 99 build. I used the 2 5/8's Autometer mechanical gauges in the vent holes. Pull out the whole vent cover and slide the gauges in. Its a snug fit but they don't move.

KeithSE

Icon 1 posted  Profile for KeithSE     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I am doing the same as George. I'm still in the build process but did a test fit using the same size gauges. Mine are the electric version but same idea and perfect fit with no modifications to the dash vents.

--------------------
Keith Andrews

TR6

Region: Southwest
Car #: 500
Year : 2002
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TR6     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

2 5/8 Autometer in the eyeball vent hole for me also. Fits perfectly. Very snug and looks like it is factory when it's complete.

--------------------
Greg H.
2002 red Miata #500
Denton, Texas

Newt Watson Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: 41
Car #: 95
Year : 1994
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Newt Watson     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

2-5/8" are perfect

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: