Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Steering Wheel Lock removal - pics

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Steering Wheel Lock removal - pics
Alberto M Goncalves

Region: SFR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

So I was searching around the site trying to figure out what was involved in removing the steering lock. Lots of threads explaining it but no pics.

Then there are the threads complaining about how drilling the whole is is the wrong way of doing it which made it more confusing for me as a newbie.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words...
I figured I'd give back to the community and help future newbies by taking some pics and creating this thread. Maybe a moderator or admin can post to the FAQ section if they feel appropriate.

This is on my 1990 Miata.

This is the view from below the ignition switch before drilling:
 -

Past threads on this topic advise drilling in the middle of that square area using a 3/8" drill bit which worked perfectly for me.

This is view after drilling in the middle of the only square area under the ignition switch:
 -

I drilled this hole slowly. Wear eye protection as the aluminum shards get shot out all over the place.

Once drilled, turn the key to the ON position. When you do this, a few coils of the spring basically pop out of the hole on their own. Just grab with your fingers or use pliers and pull.

That is all. Went very quickly overall. [thumbsup]

jeopardyracing

Region: WDC
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for jeopardyracing     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks for the post! I plan to use this method this week!

Dave Lewis

Region: detroit
Car #: 17
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Dave Lewis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Be aware the key may get stuck in the switch at some time. this has happened to me twice in eight years, and I have yet to resolve it.

Alberto M Goncalves

Region: SFR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Glad you found it helpful Jeopardy. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Lewis:
Be aware the key may get stuck in the switch at some time. this has happened to me twice in eight years, and I have yet to resolve it.

Are you referring to the key getting stuck in the on position?

I think Juan Pineda and a few others had a post about how to address that situation but I couldn't quite picture what they were talking about.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: