Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Replacing diff housing--please help check my work

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Replacing diff housing--please help check my work
Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just dropped the diff on my 99 and its sitting on my garage floor. The new housing is in the mail (thanks Drago!). Been doing some research, but before I get started, just want some direction.

As I understand it, once I remove the bolts around the housing, the only thing really holding the halves together is silicone. Once I pry apart, am I correct that all the "guts" will be retained in the front half? If that's the case, all I do is apply some RTV silicone, slap on the new housing and torque the bolts, right?

Thanks!

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

davew Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Veteran Member

Region: chicago
Car #: 72 and ?
Year : 90 and 90
Icon 1 posted  Profile for davew   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You are correct.

I would recomend replacing the axle seals while you are there.

After assembly, let the silicone dry overnite. Wet silicone gets everywhere. In your hair, on your arms, on your cloths......

Dave

--------------------
Advanced Autosports, The Midwests leader in Spec Miata Service, Parts and Rentals
608-313-1230
Authorised Spec Miata service center
www.advanced-autosports.com

Kyle Burkhardt

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kyle Burkhardt     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Thanks. For reinstallation, do I need to grease the axle splines (I just pulled them from the diff, they are still in the spindles). If so, what kind of grease?

--------------------
Kyle Burkhardt
NASA Midwest
#12 SM

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Kyle
Do change axle seals.. Also, be careful not to knock springs out of seals when installing axles.
Housing is on the way.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Keith in WA Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Pack Fodder

Region: NWR / Oregon
Car #: 88
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Keith in WA     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I use anti-sieze for the splines. I don't know if it's a big deal if you maintain the car fairly regularly, but seeing how little corrosion requires measures to remove the axle from the hub that would put Discovery Channel "Big Jobs" episoses to shame, I'll take no chances.

I also replaced the circlips (those little springs that wrap around the axles where it pops into the diff). If they do get bent removing the axles, new clips makes the job much easier and at the end of the day they're essentially free. If you have a hell of a time getting the axles out of the diff, they're better than free.

--------------------
Keith Novak
(Will work for tires)

W. Bonsell

Region: NWR/Oregon
Car #: #26
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for W. Bonsell     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just took my rear hubs to the shop today to remove the old bearings and press in the new ones. Could not get the old half shaft out of the knuckle due to rust and just plain old age. Engineering shop used tons of force to get it to back out. Definitely using anti seize grease on re-assembly.

Got to believe the rolling resistance at the rear wheels was pretty poor...but everything coming together and almost finished with the Torsen install in my 1.6.

--------------------
William Bonsell
SCCA/ICSCC #26
SM/ITA

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: