Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Will a 90 1.6 need ballast?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Will a 90 1.6 need ballast?
Alberto M Goncalves

Region: SFR
Year : 1990
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

New build. Getting ready to get my car corner balanced and aligned. I have an early 1990 Miata that used to be a base model.

I weigh 185.
Min weight according to SCCA GCR is 2275.

Do you guys think I will need weight? What is your experience?

Thanks.

Chris Haldeman

Region: texas
Car #: 71,72
Year : 1990,1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Chris Haldeman     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i needed 45 pounds but it seems to vary alot on whats in there. dont forget to have only 1 gallon of gas in there

iambhooper

Region: NCR
Car #: NA
SMIM: NA
Icon 1 posted  Profile for iambhooper     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

i think a lot depend's on the amount of cage material you have in the car. mine has double door bards, and i think we are bolting in 1 medium/large free weight (so what's that, 20lbs?) in our floor board, and i weigh 188lbs.

hoop

--------------------
hoop
'91 Spec Miata
'90 NA Beater/Track Day car
'06 RSX Type S

B Wilson Verified Driver Series Champ
Gold Member

Region: Oregon
Car #: 68
Year : 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for B Wilson   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

25-40lbs ballast depending on differential choice -- Comp LSD is lighter than torsion.

I just helped a friend find 10+ pounds and that was after he was sure he had removed everything. Lots of small things start to add up. Always willing to share, but only via PM [Smile]

-bw

--------------------
Bruce Wilson
2010 Oregon Region Champ
2010 Monte Shelton Driver of the Year
2010 25 Hours of Thunderhill E3 and Under 2 liter Overall Champion
Oregon Region SM Class Advisor

Alberto M Goncalves

Region: SFR
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Alberto M Goncalves     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My cage is a TC Design cage w/ Nascar style double door bars on both sides. Composite Sparco seat

I think the car is really light. It started life as an early 1990 base model and there isn't really much of anything extra on the car. It does have a Torsen from a 2000.

Looks like I may need a few pounds according to you guys.

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

My 90 weighs 2,275 with me (168), a cool shirt set up, a 2.5 liter foam fire system and a quarter tank of gas (~3 gallons).
Rick
P.S. I CB my car as it will weigh in the middle of the race - not the end. Just my preference.

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Ron Alan Made Donation to Website

Region: SF
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Ron Alan     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
My 90 weighs 2,275 with me (168), a cool shirt set up, a 2.5 liter foam fire system and a quarter tank of gas (~3 gallons).
Rick
P.S. I CB my car as it will weigh in the middle of the race - not the end. Just my preference.

So would that be in the 2290lb range?

--------------------
-RA

"Happy birthday, I didn't get you a present...Oh, mom got you one? Well, that's from me then too, unless it's shitty."
9:52 AM Sep 14th, 2009 via web
http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays

d mathias Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: OVR
Car #: 88
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for d mathias     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

If I had the power to answer this question sitting in front of a computer do you think I would be doing what I am for a living? [Razz] [duck]

Qik Nip Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Loose Member '09 & '10 Great Lakes Regional Points Champion

Region: Cincinnati Great Lakes
Car #: 60
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Qik Nip     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Alan:
quote:
Originally posted by Qik Nip:
Rick

So would that be in the 2290lb range?
Yes, but a bit closer to 2,295 (because I always worry about the scale variation).
Rick

--------------------
Fortune Cookie Racing SM 60
Directions for use: Race, Rumple, Repair ... Repeat!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: