Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » SpecMiata.com » Spec Miata Garage » Clearance Question?

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: Clearance Question?
Steve-O

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Steve-O     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I've got some wheels that I'm hoping to use for my first DE event here in a few weeks. These wheels however, at full steering lock, are contacting the upper control arms so it looks like I'll need to install a spacer. I understand that these wheels are too wide for competition use but I'm a long way from that at this time.

My question is how much clearance do I need at full lock? I'm sure that under cornering loads there will be some flex but I have no idea how much room to allow. Also, suggestions for design and a supplier of spacers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance-

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Steve
You will rarely if ever be at full steering input on a track day. I would be concerned if using a spacer that the tires catch the lip of the fender and and you dent the fender than I would with it rubbing on control arm. If you use a spcer, check the clearance to the fender, teh car will roll far more than most think it will
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

CP Verified Driver

Region: NER
Car #: 7
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for CP   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Spacers from Mr. Gasket, Topline, Eibach and some others. Stud length becomes a concern when adding spacers.

--------------------
-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing & Speed Shack - New England's Premier Auto Accessory Store
Rt1 AutoMile - Norwood, MA
http://www.speedshackonline.com

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: