Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Mid-West » Hallett, who is in? (Page 2)

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic
Page 2 of 2 1  2 

Author Topic: Hallett, who is in?
RHarris Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Wichita
Car #: 8
Year : 1992 FP
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RHarris   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Edens:
I was coming, just a little short on funds, so I'm gonna have to sit this one out. See you guys next time.

With as much exposure and super great article in Grassroots Magazine, someone out there sponsor Mr. Edens for this race. [yep]

See ya'll there.

--------------------
Rick Harris
F Production - A place for 1.6 Miata's

http://www.v8roadsters.com/

http://jesseprathermotorsports.com/
http://www.wbrgraphics.com/
http://haremotorsports.blogspot.com/
2008 F Production National Champion

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by springfielddyno:
I'm in... Don't worry bout me, not a ringer or secret weapon... Just need everyone else to spin off track again [Big Grin]

Sammy
What were you saying about spinning off? [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz] You deserved that one!

Congrats Charlie on Regional win...

Charlie, Matt then I dont remember...

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was a good race today. I had fun and moved forward from 9th to 6th, got to like that!

Charlie
Matt R
Mike A
Chris James
Sam H
Me
Nick Duncan
Craig Janssen

Don't remember the rest, but think we had 16 or so cars. Hope to do better tomorrow. Toyo's at 41psi+ make for an entertaining drive! Don't ask... [Wink]

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Unsafe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Team Saferacer

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 70
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Unsafe     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sammy certainly jinxed himself, but good to get the BIG, LURID, TANK-SLAPPING-INDUCED SPIN IN FRONT OF THE GRANDSTANDS out of the way on Saturday.

I'm sure Sam will change his shorts and be ready to run strong on Sunday.

Good drive Casey...I'm sure Nick put up a fight...he had a great start.

--------------------
Mike Asselta
http://www.saferacer.com

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

LOL, my spotter told me Sam's move was a real crowd pleaser. He was apparently one tank slap short of saving it. That said, Mike my boys want to know if they can get a repeat of your T9 move last year. They like your style... [Wink]

Nick did have a good drive. He got away on the start, but I managed to run him down and then he missed a gear and I got by. We went through T4/T5 pretty much door to door. It is fun to race with guys that you know will treat you fair.

My laps is up http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=326416

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Unsafe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Team Saferacer

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 70
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Unsafe     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sunday finds Charlie on the pole, then me, Matt, Sam, and Chris James for the top 5. Sam hit the wall pretty hard in qualifying, but will be able to race thanks to the foam barriers here at Hallett. They worked amazingly well to absorb an 80 mph hit without bending car and driver beyond repair.

--------------------
Mike Asselta
http://www.saferacer.com

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Good job Mikey, Glad Sammy is Ok... I have to say, it is hot as heck here in Memphis... I can only imagine how hot it is in the car today.. drink up and get those cool suits in!
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

MegaModerator

Wow, what a weekend. It was good to see everyone again and meet some new people as well. Glad Craig made it up, he is both a funny guy and a good racer. You boys in the SW better watch out...

The race today was a bit of a cluster. Started P8 and got freight trained by the inside line out of T1. Someone was a couple wheels off and people started checking up. I pushed Craig up the hill and pinned Jen against the inside but she got by and I fell in behind Nick. I had the better car and after a couple of laps I was looking for a way by. Made several attempts but couldn't make them stick and would have to back out. Finally got a good run out of T1 and we were nose to nose going into T2. Nick tried to cross over on the way into T3 but didn't leave enough room and he hit my LR wheel with his RF. I got spun and watched the whole field go by trying to get it turned around. Needless to say I was pretty unhappy and said some things on the radio I hope the FCC didn't hear.... [Wink]

Anyway, I collected myself and spent the next 19 laps making up a 14 second deficit to finish 1.5 seconds behind Nick in P7. It was pretty frustrating as I think I had a good shot at at least P5 after Matt and Chris James both had mechanicals.

I do want to say thank you to Nick who came over right after the race to apologize. That was appreciated. He also went the extra mile and reported the incident to the SOM and asked that he be moved back a position. The CSA landed us in P6. I also want to apologize for my crew waving at Nick on the exit of the pits. He is pretty personally invested as he is my little brother. Tried to get him on the radio to calm him down, but he was already off the net. Honestly he didn't cross the line, I probably would have done the same for him if he was driving, but not the way I would like to conduct ourselves. Stuff does happen from time to time...

All in all a good if very hot weekend. Props to Mike, Charlie and especially Sam. Sam crashed hard in T9 in qual and will probably be pretty sore tomorrow. Way to make a comeback in the race! [thumbsup]

[ 07-06-2008, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Casey Z ]

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Hmmmm, I guess the weekend went as planned. I qualified 4th. A couple of faster guys spun out during the national which let me finish 2nd... Sounds 'bout like April to me...

Pretty uneventful really [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

Matt Reynolds

Region: Southwest
Car #: 74
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Reynolds     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The spin was caused by horrible brake fade. I guess the pads I was using were not designed for use on a 99 in 93 degree weather. I will never use them again. [Mad]

--------------------
Reynolds Brothers Racing/Prodigy Motorsports/Race Engineering/Carbotech Brakes

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats to the MO crew, way to not let that Reynolds character sweep the season. Sam, all you need is a couple W's to dethrone King Charles! Casey, I need my brake line cutters back next time we're at the track together...

Matt, I still haven't found anything better for me than Hawk Blues, PM me what you were using and I can share my experience if you like, I've had some "fun" with some supposedly awesome pads in the past.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

MegaModerator

Rich, no problem I will return the tool. Still looking for my kick back for sabotaging Matt. Where's the love from the front of the field? [Wink]

Seriously though, we had problems last year with the same pads, same issue. It was our second or third set and the first couple had been fine. We aren't using them anymore. Interestingly enough there was another 99 running them this weekend with no issues. I think it seems to be lot related, but that is just my guess...

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Rich:
Sam, all you need is a couple W's to dethrone King Charles!

Thanks Rich, but I don't think it's going to happen... I'm not going to St. Louis, and I've never beat him there anyway... But make sure you win St. Louis, just in case something happens at MAM [Wink] It's not going to hurt my feelings to stay away from tracks with walls for awhile...

I kinda got what I deserved this weekend after teasing those who spin often... Saturday i qualified 2nd and passed reynolds when he went wide on T1 at start. I had a small lead then did a big tank slapper in front of the stands around lap 7... Reynolds and team saferacer passed me and I couldn't catch back up... The disclaimer is that I had good tires Saturday and most of the others were scrubbing in tires... Chris James was super fast in his first outing of the year. I knew he was quick, but thought it would take a weekend to knock the dust off, but that wasn't the case... Good Job Chris!

Sunday Qual was interesting... near the end, i had my pressures set in pit lane and went out for a flyer. Well I lost it big turning left over the hill before the B#tch (turn 8?)... My car hooked left and I went square into the foam and tire walls with my passenger side door leading the way... Traqmate shows that I lost control at 82mph and hit the wall a touch under 60 mph... I was two feet in early, (flatspoting 4 tires) but I was along for the ride and knew a big hit was coming as soon as I lost it...

I got out of the car a little rattled, but the good news is that the foam walls did great... I thought the car would be beyond repair (at least track repair), but really seems to be just sheet metal. My racetech head restraint seat and all the safety stuff worked... Ribs a touch stiff, but not too bad at all... I'd hate to do that without the head restraint seat!

Derek got the car ready to race with time to spare...

In the race, I got a good start and helped Mike to the lead for turn one... Charlie fell into second followed by me and Reynolds... I had to start on sticker tires because of the crash in Qual, so i figured I'd be falling back pretty quick... Charlie passed mike after a few laps and I passed Mike around lap 7 with a run out of T1... Around lap 8, Reynolds had brake problems in T2 and contacted Mike letting me get away. Good for me, because my new 3/32 spec tires were starting to give it up a little. I think it would have been very hard to hold them off. Chris was in the mix as well... Charlie had to be in curise control, because I couldn't put any pressure on him and he walked away... As I rolled to grid before the race, I just want to salvage some points. But the car was pretty good and some luck got me out of Hallett with way more points than expected... Kinda sorry I didn't get to do battle with reynods/mike/chris, but I'll take it the easy way too [Big Grin]

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

Edens Verified Driver

Region: ARK
Car #: 26
Year : 1993
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Edens     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by RHarris:
quote:
Originally posted by Edens:
I was coming, just a little short on funds, so I'm gonna have to sit this one out. See you guys next time.

With as much exposure and super great article in Grassroots Magazine, someone out there sponsor Mr. Edens for this race. [yep]

See ya'll there.

I didn't see this until today. Thanks for the thought, and you can send checks, cash and 1.6 parts to... LOL!!

Sounds like you guys had a blast, hate that I missed it. I will eventually get this car lined out and get a real engine in it. I will be a Gateway next month, regardless of what is under the hood!!!

--------------------
1993 Spec Miata
sponsored by:
MTECH- Miata TECHnology
Sherwood Tire Pros

Matt Reynolds

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Reynolds     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Casey,

Who was the other 99?

--------------------

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Reynolds:
Casey,

Who was the other 99?

Craig.

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

cnj

Region: SW Division
Car #: 32
Icon 1 posted  Profile for cnj     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We had a fun first time at Hallett. Really great track and friendly people. The track is not easy to learn to go fast and so I was thrilled to get a 4th but to be fair I got lucky and profited at the expense of others difficulties. Sorry about that Matt and Chris.

Glad Casey thinks I am funny, most people simply say I am unusual. Not sure what they mean by that.

I had contact twice with the same person over the 2 races, my first car damage in many races, so I was sad. I had been cautioned by 3 drivers before the race to be careful on the track around this driver - but such is life and I will simply drive faster next time to stay out of the way.

Casey gave me great advice for the start and T1 for the Sunday race. "Just floor it and stay there, it will stick through T1". Well I am sure a talented driver could make this work - but I was introduced to the nice smooth grass on the outside of T1 at full throttle. Good work on behalf of those following closely behind to not clout me when I came back on track rather more rapidly than I had planned. That curb is interesting.

Thanks to all I chatted to and who made us feel welcome. We will be back to join Matt in the invasion of the Texas 99's.

Craig J

Matt Reynolds

I am getting a lot of "I had the same problem with the same brakes." I wish I would have known this a while back, but I guess that is what goes with competition... seeecreeetsss.

--------------------

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Reynolds:
I am getting a lot of "I had the same problem with the same brakes." I wish I would have known this a while back, but I guess that is what goes with competition... seeecreeetsss.

Hey, I posted openly about them and was told I was "too harsh!"

But I did give fair warning. See, you should always search the Miata forums for my pearls of wisdom before buying something.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Matt Reynolds

Haha. I suppose I should. You can never be to harsh when criticizing something for its obvious flaws. For those that have shared this information with me, I will not be sharing names if asked about it. I will also not be naming the company publicly to save what credibility they do have left with customers.

--------------------

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by cnj:
Casey gave me great advice for the start and T1 for the Sunday race. "Just floor it and stay there, it will stick through T1". Well I am sure a talented driver could make this work - but I was introduced to the nice smooth grass on the outside of T1 at full throttle. Good work on behalf of those following closely behind to not clout me when I came back on track rather more rapidly than I had planned. That curb is interesting.

LOL, looks like you forgot the other bit of advice which was don't try to come back on till AFTER the curbing if you go off. [Wink] There is a big rut there that will get you every time. Heck I was just going to see if you would fall for the just keep it flat advice... [Big Grin]

Seriously though, really good drive for a Hallett newbie. [thumbsup]

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Matt Reynolds

I wouldn't call him a newbie after a 4th place at a track he has never been to! He will be one to watch up there next year fa show!

--------------------

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by cnj:
I had contact twice with the same person over the 2 races, my first car damage in many races, so I was sad. I had been cautioned by 3 drivers before the race to be careful on the track around this driver - but such is life and I will simply drive faster next time to stay out of the way.

Just to follow up on this as I personally talked to the SOM about this driver on Sunday before the race. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior or driving. This individual has the potential to be a good driver, but as things stand now they (she) is driving way over her head and would be on probation now if people had thrown paper at the races in TX, Memphis, or Hallett. From what I understand the topic was discussed at each race. But nobody wanted to protest. There is a reason for that GCR section. We should use it.

I had contact with two drivers on Sunday, well three if you count pushing Craig a couple of times. The one that took me out came right over and made things right. The one that I made contact with that was incidental, (Chris James) I went right down after the race and made peace with his crew and then found him in impound and all was well. For those that are confused, that is the right thing to do every time.

For those that seem to dive bomb and hit everyone, I would like to ask what are you thinking and how do you think others perceive you when you drive like that? I know you read this board, and I would love to hear the answer. Craig was very nice not to throw paper both days. For the record and so you are aware, I will throw the paper if you pull that on me. But I also think you already know that as I have shown you my door several times. Will we have to throw paper to get you to drive in acceptable way?

Don't confuse your finishing position with talent. You got very lucky having me taken out and a bit of a cluster behind you. Would love to hear your comments on this...

Craig was way too kind. I am not. I watched you drive all last year and have the video to back it up. Comments Jen? [Wink]

--------------------
----------------

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Casey Z:
This individual has the potential to be a good driver, but as things stand now they (she) is driving way over her head and would be on probation now if people had thrown paper at the races in TX, Memphis, or Hallett. From what I understand the topic was discussed at each race. But nobody wanted to protest. There is a reason for that GCR section. We should use it.

I had my first experience with this driver at a National at TWS. I can't recall if it was practice or qualifying session, but they blocked so bad, it actually crossed my mind to punt them to the weeds. And I am a nice guy, so I can only imagine the effect they have on not so nice people.

Anyway, when another driver approached their "team" about the blocking, the reply was, "we don't want to give up our track position." What????? As a backmarker I don't think they even grasped the reality of the situation.

I am glad this driver has not been back to a race I have attended in TX.

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA