Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Mid-West » HPT ITA accident

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: HPT ITA accident
skl

Region: DMVR
Car #: 48
Year : 1996
Icon 1 posted  Profile for skl     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Anyone know who was driving Travis' ITA Miata in last weekend's HPT race and if he was seriously hurt? Just curious as it seemed to take forever to get him out and our whole race was essentially run under double yellow.
Am hoping he was ok but the Miata probably wasn't...

--------------------
stu- DMVR
#48 Gulf blue/orange

EdMabry Verified Driver

Region: Ark
Car #: 83
Year : 1992
Icon 1 posted  Profile for EdMabry   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Are race results posted somewhere? I haven't seen them.

--------------------
Deja Moo...the feeling you've heard that bull before!

EdMabry Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for EdMabry   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Just checked the ITA site, and see where Chris Albin totaled his car in the IT race.

--------------------

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was a renter from Arkansas and I hear he is okay.
Chris had a wheel bearing lockup in his HP VW and pounded the T3 wall. Word on the IT BB says broken vertebrae and knee cap. He is home now.

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

KelleyHux

Icon 1 posted  Profile for KelleyHux     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

It was my understanding from "race track rumor" that Ben Bricker (who was the driver of Travis' Miata) was being kept overnight Sunday as a precautionary measure. I've heard nothing more about his status.

And, yes, it did take a while to get him out of the car as the flaggers and EV crew did a full extrication. We practice these moves at CFR schools, hoping NEVER to need them. However, when you do, it pays dividends to have gone through the training.

As far as Chris' accident goes, I found the following posted on the ProdCar Board -

Chuck Mathis and Chris went out and looked at the HP car. Amazingly enough, they think the engine and transmission are going to be okay. The chassis is toast.

Chris is home and is doing well. Lesley has already said no racing at the RunOffs or at the ARRC. My suspicion is that he'll be ready to go come the start of the 2009 season.

Now - the trivia question - how many races do you think were on the GP/HP chassis? (I have no idea what the real answer is - but I am curious.)

Kelley Huxtable
"PLAY SAFE"
DMVR

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

This from Travis;
"they took extra time to remove the driver in part because they needed to move one of the walls to get him out. when i talked to ben that night he was doing ok and was very complimentary of the workers. he said a corner worker was there very quickly talking to him and keeping him calm, and that the EV workers did great job handling the situation.

i have talked to him frequently since the incident, and he is gradually feeling better. there were no broken bones, he did not lose consciousness at any time, and the only injury he suffered was a sore back with some swelling and a really nasty bruise, which i am very greatful for."

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

EdMabry Verified Driver

Was Chris' mishap separate from Ben's, or the same place/time?

--------------------

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I thought Chris crashed the Prod car?

So... was that 4 totaled cars for the weekend?... McG's t1 vette and I thought there was a sports racer or open wheeler as well...

I have no idea why HPT has sooo much concrete and so few tire/air walls? Clearly Ray's not pushing that GT1 fast enough through 1/2, 8/9 or 10...

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

mdavis Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Southwest
Car #: 45
Year : 1991-sold,95,99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for mdavis     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Re: Chirs Albin: Info I have is that it was his Prod car and not his IT car. Broke a hub and went right instead of left out of T3.
Chris is a great person and a fantastic driver. (Podium at the runoffs two years ago). Hope he gets well soon.

--------------------
Matthew F. Davis
Texas Region SCCA

KelleyHux

Icon 1 posted  Profile for KelleyHux     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

In answer to Ed's question -

No. Chris and Ben were in separate race groups on separate days. Ben's accident was the IT race on Sunday. Chris' accident was the Prod/SRF/GTL group on Monday.

And to answer Sam's question -

Yes, it was the prod car that Chris totalled.

The "car-into-wall" count was really high during the last event at HPT. Will and I have worked as flaggers at almost every SCCA event held at the track, and it was the worst we've ever seen it.

Friday: Mike McGinley (driver's left between 10 & 11) and Jenna Watkins (SM - not sure where).

Saturday: FV into the wall driver's right at 14. Driver was okay. SRF into the wall driver's right at 9. Driver was okay. ITB lightly into the tirewall driver's right at 9, drove away, finished the race.

Sunday: Ben into the wall driver's right at 10. ITB into the wall driver's right at 9. Driver okay, but admonished because he hit the wall during full course yellow (the safety car didn't get the leader, so many were waved around and going too quickly trying to catch up to the pack). FA into the tires driver's right at 9, still impacted wall RF corner. Driver was okay.

Monday: FV into the wall driver's right between 2 and 3. Driver was okay. Chris' HP car into the wall driver's right at 3. Driver not so okay (but will be after some healing and rehab).

<sigh> I hate it when stuff like that happens. I think more and more I really like going to Hallett and MidAmerica Motorplex. At both of those tracks, the odds of writing a car off for an off-course excursion are much reduced. Yes, you can still significantly hurt your car if someone spins in front of you and you have nowhere to go. But, that's the risk of wheel-to-wheel racing.

Kelley

EdMabry Verified Driver

Thanks Kelley. I agree on your track choices....both of those tracks have some run off areas where you'd have to refuel to hit anything....unless you're "Unsafe"...HA!

--------------------

Unsafe Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Team Saferacer

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 70
Year : 95
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Unsafe     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I take my crashing very seriously, like a public service performed on behalf of my fellow racers. We did manage to stay off the walls at HPT, but I think Kelley described 10 wrecked cars...that's a lot even by my standards!

--------------------
Mike Asselta
http://www.saferacer.com

EdMabry Verified Driver

I still love your Hallett T1 at 5 wide....no wrecks, but not sure how you did it. Glad I was on the hill watching!

--------------------

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by KelleyHux:
In answer to Ed's question -

No. Chris and Ben were in separate race groups on separate days. Ben's accident was the IT race on Sunday. Chris' accident was the Prod/SRF/GTL group on Monday.

And to answer Sam's question -

Yes, it was the prod car that Chris totalled.

The "car-into-wall" count was really high during the last event at HPT. Will and I have worked as flaggers at almost every SCCA event held at the track, and it was the worst we've ever seen it.

Friday: Mike McGinley (driver's left between 10 & 11) and Jenna Watkins (SM - not sure where).

Saturday: FV into the wall driver's right at 14. Driver was okay. SRF into the wall driver's right at 9. Driver was okay. ITB lightly into the tirewall driver's right at 9, drove away, finished the race.

Sunday: Ben into the wall driver's right at 10. ITB into the wall driver's right at 9. Driver okay, but admonished because he hit the wall during full course yellow (the safety car didn't get the leader, so many were waved around and going too quickly trying to catch up to the pack). FA into the tires driver's right at 9, still impacted wall RF corner. Driver was okay.

Monday: FV into the wall driver's right between 2 and 3. Driver was okay. Chris' HP car into the wall driver's right at 3. Driver not so okay (but will be after some healing and rehab).

<sigh> I hate it when stuff like that happens. I think more and more I really like going to Hallett and MidAmerica Motorplex. At both of those tracks, the odds of writing a car off for an off-course excursion are much reduced. Yes, you can still significantly hurt your car if someone spins in front of you and you have nowhere to go. But, that's the risk of wheel-to-wheel racing.

Kelley

Wow, Thanks for the summary Kelly... Makes St. Louis sound good [Roll Eyes]

Maybe we're just spoiled in the Mid West... What other tracks around the country have this kind of damage issues? We never get a HPT race summary without a list of cars really torn up...

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

David Dewhurst
Veteran Member

Icon 1 posted  Profile for David Dewhurst     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

***What other tracks around the country have this kind of damage issues?***

Not a track, just one turn at Road America, the KINK.

--------------------
Have Fun [Wink]

David Dewhurst
CenDiv
Milwaukee Region
Spec Miata #14

wheel Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: kc
Car #: 20
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here's one from MidO this weekend. T2 Nissan. Play the slideshow.

Hey all, here are the pics of my crash at mid-o this wknd. Data said I was going about 95mph when I went off the back straight before 7. Some kind of brake failure. Had brakes for a split second then nothing. Slowed from 130 down to 95. Someone said I flipped about 9 times. Cartwheeled over the gravel trap and catapulted over the tire barrier and then over/through a 18 foot fence and ended up in the spectator area. Officials said they have never seen a car go that far out or seen a crash like that at mid-ohio. Iím completely fine though, just a small bump on head. Can't say the same about the Z. Thanks to everyone out there that helped me out especially cat killer, ralphy and ed.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeffdegrieck/MidOhioSept2008#

Eric Barbaric Verified Driver

Region: Kansas City
Car #: 95
Year : 1991
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Eric Barbaric   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

WoW! In slideshow view you really get an appreciation for how end-to-end rolls do little to scrub off speed.

Spectacular footage. Glad you are okay.

Icon 1 posted  Profile for wheel     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I hope it is clear that I just posted the note and site, it was Jeff DeGrieck in the Z car.

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Region: STL
Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

How the F did he start flipping end-to-end before the gravel trap? He must have tossed the car sideways and dug in as soon as he hit the trap, but the divots look like was already leaving the ground before then.

Gah.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Jfornachon Verified Driver

Region: socal
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Jfornachon     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I give him a 9.5. Did you see how he stuck the landing and the creaativity. That was amazing. All joking aside I am glad he is ok and it goes to show that all it takes is one thing to fail and you don't know what is going to happen.

Thanks to the safty personel and all the safty gear that is required to race. It makes me think about the guys back in the day and what they went through.

Have a great day,
Jared

Here's the in-car, right up until the first roll. The camera departed the car at this point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvdaMMrmkF8

notice the G figures. Flashes up to .7 something, then drops.

Kent Carter Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
Future Never Has Been

Region: Houston
Car #: 91
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Kent Carter   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

HANS?

--------------------
Do I turn my 99 Hard S into a killerfast SM or seek a donor?

He posted that the HANS and other safety gear did the job, so, yes, he did have the HANS. Here's his comment.

Yes, i had a hans on. That's what probably gave me the bruise on my forehead. Hans stopped my helmet but my head smashed into the inside of my helmet. I had a racetech seat with wings and head bolsters. Did not have a net on the right. Had a 5 point harness (2 groin belts combine into one buckle). Car never really had a hard impact. Just kept on doing cartwheels over a long distance dissipating the energy. Looking at the in car video looks like instinct took over and i tried turning at the end of the straight so i started flipping almost before i left the concrete. Should of gone off straight into china beach and hopefully had the gravel slow me down b/f hitting tire wall. Thing that bothers me the most is not knowing what happened to the brakes. Childs is conducting a csi investigation. My data showed a 1.2 G slowdown at the 400 mark just like always but only for a split second. Pedal felt good. Then my G's gradually dropped to 0. I remember lifting and pushing in the pedal again and the data showed my G's came back up to .7 then quickly dropped back down to 0 before i turned the car and flipped. I don't ever remember the pedal just hitting the floor. Brake fluid reservoir was still filled after the crash. Looking at the in car video, the car really shimmied at initial braking, almost looking like the rear brakes were working but not the front. Only evidence we have so far is on the front left wheel, the rotor had a weird discoloration and was completely scoured and gouged as if the caliper was stuck. I don't see how this happend though b/f the crash though b/c the car was pretty dead on straight, not drifting to the left as you would expect so maybe it somehow got scoured after the crash. Car does have ABS but I don't think it ever activated. Braking was totally fine going down the keyhole just prior.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To: