Spec Miata Community   
search | help | calendar | games | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello Spec Miata Community » Sports Car Club of America » SCCA Mid-West » St Louis Region Regional/National/IT Tour March 28/29

- Email this page to someone! | Subscribe To Topic  
Author Topic: St Louis Region Regional/National/IT Tour March 28/29
Bryon Prokopf

Region: STL
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bryon Prokopf     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Registration is open for St. Louis Region's Regional/National/IT Tour at Gateway on March 28 & 29. To register go to http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/gcr.aspx?eventID=37...ace.aspx%3fEventID%3d3747

--------------------
Bryon Prokopf
STL Region Race Committee Chairperson
T&S, F&C

Bryon Prokopf

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Bryon Prokopf     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Two weeks to go. 6 SM's registered so far. Who else is coming?

--------------------
Bryon Prokopf
T&S, F&C

Drago Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
MegaModerator

Region: mid south
Car #: 2
Year : 1999
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I will most likley be there now that Memphis was cancelled. I have not registered as I am still undecided
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com
2006-2007 Mid-West Division
07,09 June Sprints Champion

EAST STREET RACING

Charlie James Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Team SafeRacer

Region: Neokla
Car #: 40
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Charlie James   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Let's see,,,,

Phenom
Crispy Beaver - New Phenom
Old Caesar
Sneaky Old Guy Wiseman - Older Caesar? Don't forget he is a multi-time title holder.
Dad, what's a Schiffler?
KY Jones
Add in some other quick guys as well.

Holy cow, that is going to make for an intersting first lap [rolling on floor laughin]

--------------------
www.SafeRacer.com
"Life is short, Eternity is forever"

volante Verified Driver

Region: Mid-Div
Car #: 43
Year : 1995
Icon 1 posted  Profile for volante     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You add Mike A,Krafty and Sammy who forgot he's not in SM anymore and now you really got a first lap.
I am pretty sure the grid folks will figure out Sammy doesn't have a windshield so with him out of the picture I predict Beaver and Dad,whats a Scheifler in the tire wall at T1,Big daddy Caesar and Phenom taking each other out in T5-T6,KY and the big "DW" the original Old Caesar locking mirriors in T7 leaving Krafty and Mike A going down the front straight.Well Krafty finding himself in the lead gets so excited he shifts into 2nd instead of 5th cause he has only 4 fingers on his shifting hand and blows his old tired junkyard motor up.
So Mike going into T1 gets distracted by Beaver who has Scheifler on the ground teaching him who the new boss of St.Louis is spins off course into the tire,well more than likely "on" the tire wall.
James Randell,Nadeen Bari and Jerret Gerber finish on the podium.
Meanwhile Sammy is still trying to convince the officials that his car really is in SM because he sent a letter to the comp board petitioning to remove all winshields in SM.They thanked him for his input but didn't think Toyo.....I mean SCCA would go for the idea...

Maybe I should load the car and head down,naahh,red 43 is looking pretty good and I heard that St.Louis has these big metal poles filled with cement that tend to jump out you and cause a crapload of damage to the front of a Miata.

--------------------
volante

TKraft Verified Driver

Region: DMV /GtRv
Car #: 42&46
Year : 91,95,99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TKraft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

[Beaver said to Wally] "Gee Wally (Drago)that Eddy Haskil(Volante) he's kind of creepy"

IPRESS Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: MidDiv / SOWDIV
Car #: #39
Year : 99 LS1 Miata
Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Besides Volante probably has to open the store Saturday morning. You know early spring is huge at The Gay Shoe Warehouse.
Dave, have those cream and purple patent leather loafers with the extra high lifts in them, come in? You know the ones Johnson's wife ordered for him after she heard me call him Sidewalk!

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
"To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

LOREN WALLACE IS MY HERO!

volante Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for volante     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

The "store" is always open for you Mac!!

--------------------
volante

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

dude, this post was soo funny i thought mac wrote it.... [Big Grin]

sam

quote:
Originally posted by volante:
You add Mike A,Krafty and Sammy who forgot he's not in SM anymore and now you really got a first lap.
I am pretty sure the grid folks will figure out Sammy doesn't have a windshield so with him out of the picture I predict Beaver and Dad,whats a Scheifler in the tire wall at T1,Big daddy Caesar and Phenom taking each other out in T5-T6,KY and the big "DW" the original Old Caesar locking mirriors in T7 leaving Krafty and Mike A going down the front straight.Well Krafty finding himself in the lead gets so excited he shifts into 2nd instead of 5th cause he has only 4 fingers on his shifting hand and blows his old tired junkyard motor up.
So Mike going into T1 gets distracted by Beaver who has Scheifler on the ground teaching him who the new boss of St.Louis is spins off course into the tire,well more than likely "on" the tire wall.
James Randell,Nadeen Bari and Jerret Gerber finish on the podium.
Meanwhile Sammy is still trying to convince the officials that his car really is in SM because he sent a letter to the comp board petitioning to remove all winshields in SM.They thanked him for his input but didn't think Toyo.....I mean SCCA would go for the idea...

Maybe I should load the car and head down,naahh,red 43 is looking pretty good and I heard that St.Louis has these big metal poles filled with cement that tend to jump out you and cause a crapload of damage to the front of a Miata.

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

RHarris Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Wichita
Car #: 8
Year : 1992 FP
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RHarris   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Sam, is the car ready? I havn't seen you signed up yet for this race. [Smile]

--------------------
Rick Harris
F Production - A place for 1.6 Miata's

http://www.v8roadsters.com/

http://jesseprathermotorsports.com/
http://www.wbrgraphics.com/
http://haremotorsports.blogspot.com/
2008 F Production National Champion

MegaModerator

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Drago   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by RHarris:

I didn't want to say anything, but he said he wanted to let you win one before he kicks off his season. [Big Grin] [flamed] [duck]
and so it begins [Smile]

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

springfielddyno Verified Driver
Runoffs "MOVE OF THE RACE" (headlights)

Region: Ozark Mountain Region
Car #: 37, 31
Year : 96, 93
Icon 1 posted  Profile for springfielddyno   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

that's too funny Swerve, but I didn't say that... You're going to get me in trouble before I ever put tire on track! So much for getting Harris to help get me up to speed...

I was hoping to have car ready by St. Louis, but looks like Hallett. Trust me, I'll have plenty of development to do after that...

I wish I would have said that [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Drago:
quote:
Originally posted by RHarris:

I didn't want to say anything, but he said he wanted to let you win one before he kicks off his season. [Big Grin] [flamed] [duck]

--------------------
Regards,
Sam H.
www.springfielddyno.com

RHarris Verified Driver Made Donation to Website

Region: Wichita
Car #: 8
Year : 1992 FP
Icon 1 posted  Profile for RHarris   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

LOL, Thanks Jim. Maybe we can create a Miata Production (MP) in the near future.

Sam, let me know if you need a basic setup for a FP Miata.

My season also starts at Hallett.

--------------------
Rick Harris
F Production - A place for 1.6 Miata's

http://www.v8roadsters.com/

http://jesseprathermotorsports.com/
http://www.wbrgraphics.com/
http://haremotorsports.blogspot.com/
2008 F Production National Champion

Rich Verified Driver
Oh, that's where that is.

Car #: 35
Year : #795 SRF
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

We were SLOWWWWW on the R888's today. You turn in, and it seems like they're going to be pretty good on the way to the apex, then about halfway to the apex they wave the white flag. The weirdest part was definitely 3a/3b, the steering wheel feels completely numb while the car is transitioning from left to right.

Old and Busted Phenom's track record appears to be safe.

I was running 36-37 psi cold. Didn't get hot pressures.

Got to drive Burkett's old '01 on RA1's in the last session of the test day. I'm pretty sure I was quicker in it than I was in my car with R888's. That thing has b-a-l-l-s. 300-400 rpm more on the front straight in 4th than my car could manage. Needed 5th WAY earlier.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Icon 1 posted  Profile for IPRESS     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Results?

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas

Rich Verified Driver

Icon 1 posted  Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

I lapped the field. (Rain)

Scheifler 2nd
Beaver 3rd

EDIT: I can do better than that, found race time sheet.

Qual (Rain):

Wiese 1:26.5
Jones 1:31
Gerber 1:31

Race (Rain):

O&B Phenom 1:20.6 20 laps
Scheifler 1:24.5 19 laps
Phenom II 1:25.3
Randall 1:26.3
Jones 1:26.6
Gerber 1:27.0

Highlights:

Dad, what's a Scheifler? drove off track to avoid being lapped properly.

'08 T2 National Champ ran a 1:32 in qual and tried to kill me on lap 1 after the start, then gave me the sheepish point-by (he went on to run a 1:26.3 in the race).

Drago DNF'd on purpose.

R888's are every bit as good as RA1's in the wet stuff as far as I'm concerned. In the dry, well, not so much. Rain setup was similar to what I always did with the RA1's, disconnect rear swaybar and add about 3 psi to the starting pressures, so around 39 psi.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Bryon Prokopf

Results from today are on mylaps http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=397134

--------------------
Bryon Prokopf
T&S, F&C

Matt Reynolds

Region: Southwest
Car #: 74
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Matt Reynolds     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

You guys have too many nicknames. Drago only ran 5 laps? and Where was the James gang?

--------------------
Reynolds Brothers Racing/Prodigy Motorsports/Race Engineering/Carbotech Brakes

Rich Verified Driver

Don't know if the Jameseses are racing this year?

Today:

Wet qual:

Wiese 1:19
Beaver 1:22
Scheifler 1:23

Dry race:

Wiese 1:13.142
Drago 1:13.165
Scheifler 1:13.5?

Beaver smacked the wall behind me exiting T7 early in the race and wasn't a factor after that.

Drago and I were hot and heavy for the first 20 laps or so after he got through the field from row 4 or so, he even made me drive my tires off (not that driving these tires off is much of a challenge, more on that later) and kept the pressure on for a long time as I fought with rear grip during the "graining period." Unfortunately for him, driving the tires off in a '99 is a lot more difficult to recover from than in a 1.6. Once we started working through our second round of lap traffic I was probably 15 seconds ahead.

Great weekend, lots of clean racing in adverse weather conditions and a great afternoon to finish it all off. Sad to see so few entries but it's a sign of the times I guess. I'll have a couple photos later on...

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Casey Z Verified Driver Made Donation to Website
MegaModerator

Region: MidDiv
Car #: 13
Year : 92
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Casey Z     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Congrats guys. Rich, way to get the job done in the 1.6. Think your new nickname should be Rainman...

--------------------
----------------
Z Brothers Racing / East Street Auto

Casey Z - 1.6 Kettle
MidDiv National #13

Bryon Prokopf

Results from todays races are on mylaps. Thanks to everybody who came out and braved everything mother nature had to throw at us.

--------------------
Bryon Prokopf
T&S, F&C

"Think your new nickname should be Rainman..."

Nope it's PHEEEEEENOM.
I think Extra Heavy will be gunning for Pheenom, come to think of it the James Gang will be too.
Nice job Rich especially in the wet, Gateway is not fun when it's wet.

--------------------
Mac Spikes
IPRESS Racing
MER
East Street Auto
SAFERACER
Hoosier
Carbotech
MotorSport Ranch
Cresson, Texas

J.D.

Icon 1 posted    Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

1.6s are too fast, I've been saying that for 4 years, deaf ears.

Charlie James Verified Driver Made Donation to Website Series Champ
Team SafeRacer

Region: Neokla
Car #: 40
Year : 94
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Charlie James   Author's Homepage     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Great job Rich, congrats on the convincing win this weekend, you deserve the original Phenom tag.

Did Crispin damage his car much with the hit at T7?

--------------------
www.SafeRacer.com
"Life is short, Eternity is forever"

MegaModerator

quote:
Originally posted by Rich:
I lapped the field. (Rain)

Dad, what's a Scheifler? drove off track to avoid being lapped properly.

HMMM ... Well I will refer to Mac and his idol Warren Wallace... If I had stayed out and you had gotten close enough...

I would use these two bits from ol Warren...

First...If he gets close to me, I'll put in him in the wall!
Second... I didn't say I wouldn't have dinner with the man! [Big Grin]

I have to start going out in these Monsoons, but St. Louis is not a fun place in the rain. Mistakes there can and often do write of a perfectly good race car. Again quoting Mac, 'I'm too old for that shit!"

Rich was very fast in the wet and fun to watch.. I think all that talk of us reassigning his PHEENOM tag to Beaver got him extra motivated.. I guess Beaver will have to take it from him.. So far Old PHEENOM 1- YOUNG PHEENOM 0 To be continued at a track near you! [Big Grin]

Dry race as fun, we had one stab at it as we missed test day and lap one was of the race was my first real lap of the weekend. All and all, it was fun, I felt better pressuring Rich from the back than leading, so never tried a pass and only had two chances. Then about lap 22 or so, my car was stepping out in banking(FUN), then Rich used a lap car really well and picked me at the chicane and I lost probably 2 seconds and decided that was probably that and to ride the last 5 or 6 laps and settle for second as I could no longer see third.
Schieffler ran a good race as well, congrats on 3rd, he stayed with Rich and I for awhile, then Rich and I went around the outside of two lapped cars and Steve got hung up, worst part was they were both from his shop. [Razz]

Crispin is and will certainly be fast, he didn't hit hard, looked like just some Darlington stripes on the quarter panel, perhaps wheel scuff.

So we go from PHEENOM 1 and PHEENOM 2 this week to SIDESHOW and PHEENOM 2.. Hopefully I will have another front row seat. [Big Grin]
Had fun, see you guys next weekend.
Jim

--------------------
Jim Drago
East Street Auto Salvage
jdrago1@aol.com

EAST STREET RACING

volante Verified Driver

Good job Rich and the rest of you guys.I was thinking about you guys all weekend wondering if the snow had gotten that far down there.
Lets talk tires for a moment,GIR could be one of the easiest tracks on tires and with the winterlike temps how did the tires work?????
Can I assume we should start with a 4/32 shave and put a easy heat cycle on them before race use???

--------------------
volante

TKraft Verified Driver

Region: DMV /GtRv
Car #: 42&46
Year : 91,95,99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for TKraft     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

They suck.

Rich Verified Driver

Thanks for puffing my head up guys, this first weekend at Gateway each year is usually what makes me turn up at Hallet and suck in the National, but now I'm not going to Hallet this year so the joke's on you! [Smile]

I don't think Beaver hurt the car, he was close to the wall and the car oversteered and "caught" the slide for him from what I saw in the rearview.

The "heat cycle them and let them sit" thing may have some merit, Scheiflers will ahve more data as they scrubbed 6 sets on Friday.

I had 2.5 test sessions on the set on my car before the race, and after the race they looked good enough for a qualifying session. They were never rotated, so rotation would have helped. They started out as 4/32" Vilven shaves.

I started at 38 inside/37 outside cold for the Sunday race, they seemed to start to give up about 15 laps in to the race. I'm going to be trying some higher starting pressures, or more likely stick with the same pressures as the temperatures start to go up. Keep in mind we had 45 degree air temps and 65 degree track temps. Friday was a little warmer.

Times were off about a second from last year. Half of that was probably track conditions, there were still some slick spots and I couldn't use the curbing in 3a because of a puddle, so I'm giving half second to the tires, half to the track. They could very well be as fast or faster as the RA1's in terms of raw lap times once I figure out setup, it's too early for me to tell. One thing I'm sure of though, they don't last as long.

Ran a 1:13.38 on brand new tires at the test day. Ran a 1:13.34 in the next two test sessions on the same set. Ran a 1:13.14 in the race on Sunday in worse track conditions on the same set with no rotation.

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Rich Verified Driver

A couple artistic photographs I took this weekend. First one is for Dave Volante, title of the composition is "I Missed!". I think this image really captures the disappointment in the expression on the yellow pole's face:

-

The second composition is titled "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" or "Mother Nature's Annual March 'F You!'"

-

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

Rich Verified Driver

Just did a little data analysis. Standard deviation on laps 2-25 (ignoring lap 1 and last two laps due to traffic, letting up) was less than half a mph average speed, which at GIR equates to about 3 tenths.

Here are some samples from my mylaps. I left some out, by lap 7 we were already dealing with SSC traffic and we ran sporadic mid-13's in between dodging through lappers. I ran my second-fastest lap on lap 12, a 1:13.3.

LAP LAP TIME
2 01:13.1
3 01:13.7
4 01:13.4
5 01:13.8
6 01:13.7

18 01:13.5
19 01:13.5
20 01:13.6
21 01:13.4
22 01:13.7
23 01:13.8
24 01:13.6
25 01:13.6

Looks like the tires are capable of maintaining the pace, could be a similar thing to the way many fast street tires behave on track where they "feel" like they're turning to molten garbage but they actually aren't getting any slower.

EDIT: Forgot to say, Kudos to everyone in Group 4 this past weekend too. Saturday's conditions were awful to terrible, some people went out on shaves and it started raining halfway through after only light drizzle for a half hour or so. We were one of, if not the only, race without an FCY on Saturday, and we had a clean qualifying session too with just a couple waving yellows while a few people (not National regulars) sorted out what the right pedal does to a car in the rain (hint: it makes the drive wheels turn faster [Wink] ).

The Drago Effect was nobody else's fault on Sunday. [Razz]

--------------------
Rich Wiese

Spec Wrecker Ford

volante Verified Driver

Oh,now they paint the poles yellow!!Best qoute ever at a race track,Stevie J. to me after the pole incident."I know your really pissed right now but that was the funniest damn thing I've ever seen".It worked cause I did calm down after that.
Thanks for the memories Richie.

Rich are we in trouble at a real race track in the summer with these things.I am thinking Topeka,MAM etc.Do you need two new sets for a double national??

--------------------
volante

Cajun Miata Man Verified Driver
Overdog Driver

Region: Houston; SWDIV
Car #: 15
Year : 99
Icon 1 posted  Profile for Cajun Miata Man     Edit/Delete Post  Report this post to a Moderator

Here is my take guys,

In TX, I think the general consensus after the Feb national at MSRH was the tires, while different, weren't too bad. For me personally, my wear was not too bad (more than an RA-1 though) and times really pretty consistant thorought the race. The surface is not terribly abrasive and the ambient temperatures were about 70F for the race. At the end of the weekend, I thought to myself, "not great, but I can live with this tire".

At our March double at TWS, the ambients climbed to 82-85F at race times and the surface a bit more abrasive. During this weekend, most drivers, a few exceptions, experienced very high tire wear and a general loss of tire performance after about 3-4 laps. After that weekend, I thought, "this tire sucks, I am going to use at least 2x the number of tires."

I hope the issues us in TX experienced can be solved and with some adjustments "figure it out". I don't hold much hope since we have already tried a great many variables in testing, but one never knows.

So, depending on the shave you start with, you may want to have an extra set to use during a summer double just in case. I know some folks at the TWS national had to scramble for tires for Sunday. As an example for the wear I was seeing, a 3/32" tire set would not have lasted for 2 Qualifying and 2 Race sessions (unless I limit the number of qualifying laps)

Maybe you all will have better luck (or skill maybe).

--------------------
James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA